Bayformer Fan Watches G1 & TF:Movie! [BLOG]

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're right on point, Captain. Animated does feature an adorable little girl and a Starscream that sounds like Tom Kenny (because he was voiced by Tom Kenny).

On the subject of the Japanese G1 series, they feel a bit non-essential to me unless you're going for full immersion in this franchise, but I do recommend Masterforce if you're a fan of anime. Masterforce is really a look at what Transformers might have been if it had been conceived as an anime, complete with big-eyed, crazy-haired preteen kids and kaiju monsters.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Tom Kenny as Starscream made an entire crowd at Botcon go wild, because of how much like G1 Starsream he sounded. Honestly your perspective on TFA will be really interesting, because not only is it a good show IMO, but it was the first good show since BM for most. The intervening seven years was populated entirely by questionable anime dubs that were, even at their best, a huge step down from the quality of storytelling produced by Mainframe with BW and BM. They were generally blunt, lacked nuance, and all conflict was fairly tame. Even when they were good, the shows were still dubbed, and so lacked proper structure to their conversations. RID was okay, and is generally remembered fondly, (certainly by me :3) Armada far less so for being gimmicky and having a lot of unfinished animation (and what was finished wasn't especially great, but it's up there with BW and the movies for how much new life it brought into the franchise) Energon is considered the worst Transformers show ever by most, with hilariously primitive CGI compared to even Beast Wars (many characters in Energon lacked face animation, even ones with mouths) and while Cybertron was a huge leap ahead from Energon, it still had primitive CGI and a largely uninspired plot. And when you realise a lot of fans had dropped out of BM early on, TFA was the first North American-produced Transformers show they'd seen in almost a decade.

Add to that, the last TF thing we'd seen was the movies, which massively polarized fans. In fact it was so controversial, many believe Animated was tailor-made to be it's polar opposite style-wise, in case the movies failed and Hasbro needed to distance themselves from it.

3. JLvatron

JLvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, didn't sound like G1 Starrio to me! :) 
    Although Justin Bieber could attempt a Starscream and the BotConners would go wild. :D 

Wow, I did not know that! It makes lots of sense.

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I mean compared to how he sounded in the Unicron Trilogy he absolutely did.

I mean probably not given how TFA was almost universally detested when the first picture of Optimus and the group shot showed up. It was that clip alone that changed so many opinions.

I mean I can't find any real proof but I've just heard it so much...

5. JLvatron

JLvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Closer, but I wouldn't use the A-word.

It's clear that they were planning 2 different directions. Well mostly, as both featured very silly humour.

Was the motive to differentiate due to:
    -Backup Insurance policy (like you said)
    -or just variety?

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Anus?

I wouldn't call Animated's humour "silly."

Hell that show never even had a fart joke. (but Prime did... huh)

Possibly the second, but Transformers never had variety like that between currently running lines. I mean it makes sense, the movies were a risk. It would also explain why TFA's toyline was so delayed. If they were planned to run side-by-side, they'd have planned to run side-by-side seamlessly.

BTW, didn't mean to start literally every line with "I mean."

7. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Great, so I'm not crazy!

I don't know anything about "anime" Transformers except that I have a DVD or (I think) Armada sitting at my house with either Megatron or Gavaltron on the front.

I found it at a flea market or a Goodwill years and years ago and picked it up but never got to watch it because the disc is so badly damaged. I'm fairly certain this was either before or around the time Dark of the Moon released as I was just -really- getting into Transformers and thought the cover art looked really cool.

edit: Also, no promises but I may start Animated a little early. I'm still waiting on the series to arrive, the estimated date of arrival is between today and next Monday. I'm very eager to get started but may end up waiting until April either way. :p 

8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I've played with the idea of making my own Headmasters thread.

Big difference is that I have actually watched it several times, but I have also watched loads of classic giant robot anime from the 70's and 80's, so I could probably give some insight to what they were trying to go for with it too.

Only reason I'm not too hot on the idea is because I'd have to keep it up for 35 episodes.

9. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

IMO, Animated had everything going for it: writing, directing, voice acting... except for the visuals. I know most people got used to the "Teen Titans Go!" art style sooner or later, but yikes. I could never get past it. Even now I can barely stand to look at the characters as they were drawn. To my eye, it's just wrong!

Gotta love the revisitations of TFA characters in other styles, though. Lockdown and Lugnut especially...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    TFA's aesthetic is the best aesthetic Transformers has ever had. Every character felt unique, even the repaints. Meanwhile so many characters from Prime and RID2 share so many of the same design elements they feel totally generic and look like they simply lack detail rather than being streamlined like Animated.

However, TFA's animation is probably still it's weakpoint. Not for the style, but for the actual quality. It's about 70% consistently alright, with a few really well-animated episodes and a few... really not so well animated ones. This is because the show, like many cel-animated shows, used different animation companies for different episodes.

11. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Your opinion is noted. I do not share it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nero9000

nero9000 Well-Known Member

Do it, man. Anna palaa, perkele!

13. CaptainSlayer

Ha. hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:lol :lolol :lol :lolol :

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!

*ahem*

I mean, yeah man, that's a big step but I think you should go for it regardless. Blogging the episodes can be a lot of fun even if it's just figuring out how people see differently from you.

I'm a fan of the art style from the stills I've seen and the episode I very vaguely remember.

Who knows, my mind may change when actually watching the show but I think if I can make it through Season 3 of G1 then this should be a cake walk.

14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Laugh it off, fuzzball! It's a lot different writing actual reviews than just listing your reactions to everything.

I mean, not to knock your style or anything, it's been fun, but since I've already seen the series like three times, it'd be kind of pointless to talk about my reactions at this point - not to mention there's been a few people trying to cop your style already, and I want to do something different.

Also I just looked up your reactions to TROOP. Yes, Mike and Gregory give the DC Encyclopedia Green Lantern and Green Arrow a run for their money in the "gratuitously dramatic overreaction" department. At least the worst they did was cry at everything, not start a freakin' intergalactic holocaust! I just pretend they were locked up in a mental ward somewhere, hence they were never seen again. :D 

The most remarkable thing about that story is that the end of part 1, where Optimus Prime comes to life, surrounded by bright white light as if he'd descended straight from the afterlife, and starts to talk - after all this time, after seeing it so many times, I still get goosebumps!

15. CaptainSlayer

Oh, for sure. I'm actually doing the reviews of each episode for the Animated blog which has proven to not only be much easier for me to focus on the episode in front of me but to also offer more in-depth discussion on various topics.

The "live" method is a lot of fun and without it Randal, Bruno, Sourball and many other Transformers may have stuck with their boring old names for me, it was part of the experience to be sure.

I agree however that trying to do that style when you've already seen the series multiple times wouldn't have the same impact. In fact, this entire blogging business started because Metroplex suggested I do it based on the fact that the only previous relationship I had with Transformers was the Bayformer films and a few video games.

This blog was something special for sure, it was insane going back in time and seeing everything you all did for the first time decades after the fact. Hell, laughing at animation errors was one of my favorite parts.

Also, good Chewie reference, I'm very much OK with being a fuzzball.

All of that being said, I urge you to take the time and do your reviews. You don't have to have a set schedule or anything, I did an episode a day throughout Beast Wars/Machines and the end of G1, but there was a time where I took a 3 month break and came back to people still happy to share in the experience.

Plus, I'm a little selfish and would like to read a blog on G1 that I can actively contribute to since I've actually seen it now.

16. tammygrey01

tammygrey01 New Member

I grew up watching Gen 1 transformer.
    I love Wheel Jack..
    Watch Transformers online

17. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

I've only made it six eps in so far, but as a mostly G1 guy with not much love for the live action movies I want to let you know I appreciate seeing someone who cut their teeth on the movies looking back on a four year long toy commercial from 20 years before. Your commentary is pretty brilliant, and i'm going to have a hard time not referring to Rumble as Randal from now on! :D 

Edit: Probably been asked and you may have answered, but what's your interest in the Japanese G1 seasons? I recently introduced a friend whose primary experience was Beast Wars and Bay films to Masterforce and we both love every stupid second.