Bayformer Fan Doesn't Watch Cyberverse

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by CaptainSlayer, Dec 28, 2018.

1. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

As stoked as I was to finally watch a new Transformers cartoon alongside the rest of the community, I've got to say, I really don't like Cyberverse.

It's taken me a while to get started but yesterday I finally sat down to watch a few episodes and after the first one, I thought I was in for a commercial break but was instead greeted with the next episode... which wasn't even actually the next one, it skipped whatever the rest of episode one was for the next multi-part episode and then did it again for the third one before finally balancing out. (I was watching on the Cartoon Network App with a login and also checked Hasbro's YouTube... For some reason they only had 'part 1' of each of the first three multi-part episodes)

The super short running time feels abrupt and choppy and this is coming from someone with a Steven Universe tattoo on their leg.

[​IMG]

The animation was strange like a worse version of RID but the absolute worst part was the super, super bland voice acting. Actually, the worst part was how excruciatingly annoyed I was by Bumblebee and the PS1 era dialogue, but the cardboard Optimus Prime really hurt too.

Look, I get it, most TV shows have growing pains when they start out and that's fine so I figured maybe it would pick up in later episodes and so I skipped ahead to the last few that have aired and... nope, I still found myself super unimpressed and bored.

There are a few pros. I like the character designs and I like how they aren't afraid to try some new things such as the 'gentleman/smart' Grimlock but everything else including the action just seems so dull to me.

I'm a fan of Teen Titans GO! and the original series, so I know about dramatic shifts in a franchise but even the humor couldn't save me here. My wife, who watched all of Beast Wars and Machines with me, tapped out two minutes into the second episode.

Please don't take this post as disparaging to people who like this show, I don't mean it that way at all, in fact, I'm happy to relate to any and all Transformers fans. But this one just isn't for me. So for now, I guess I'm just going to revisit Animated and Prime while I try to figure out what to tackle next.

Thanks for reading. <3

• Like Like x 7
  2. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    At least you gave the series a try. That’s a cool tattoo as well!

I look forward to the next series you’ll visit/revisit. I’d recommend Robots In Disguise (2001), but it’s up to you.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    What bugs me about Cyberverse is that it lacks professionalism. The voicework and the quality of the animation comes across as amateur. Even things like the Transformers having Earth vehicle modes on Cybertron just feels cheap. They couldn't be bothered to alter the CG model of the cars just a little to make them look more alien? Or just cut back on how many Cybertronian modes they show?

I can't really buy budget limitations as an excuse when other series' have been more economical and smart about how they've used their budgets. For that matter, there really aren't a lot of nice visuals or cinematography. I just watched the first three episodes of Animated, and the visuals there blow this out of the water. I'm really not sure where the budget for this show is going.

I like a lot of what Cyberverse is trying to do, and I don't think any of the ideas in it are necessarily bad. I just think the execution is poor. I watch official Transformers media to get something more than I'd get in a fan film, and I feel like Cyberverse doesn't really deliver in that area. If someone told me it was a fan project, I'd honestly believe them. Even something like RID had far more effort put into the execution (at least on a technical level).

I'm really hoping Cyberverse smooths out the rough edges for the second season. Maybe bring back Cullen, and some other professional voice actors (kind of like they did in response to the criticism of Combiner Wars). If they step up their game, I think Cyberverse could really be something special.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How far did you get? I found the first half of the season to be pretty mediocre and agree with your criticisms: generally bad voice acting, personality-less Optimus, over use of Bumblebee's radio dialog and underwhelming fight choreography; but I found episode 10 'Maccadams' the turning point in quality for the show. Voice acting improved for the entire cast, characters besides Bumblebee and Windblade were getting more fleshed out, standouts in that being Shockwave/Grimlock. The present day Autobot team also got some new blood injected into it starting with episode 12(Teletraan X) which coincidentally allowed the writers to bring humor to the show from other places besides Bumblebee's radio talk which meant we got less of that as the show moved along; and finally there was more focus on the present day story in the remaining half of the season that made the show more enjoyable compared to the first half that was simply situated on revisiting old memories, some not really serving a greater purpose to the overarching plot like episode 8(Terminal Velocity).

I think the shorter run time helps too, when the show shifts more to the present day setting in the latter half of the season you start to see the writers make the most of each episodes limited duration and we end up with a much faster paced story with less filler. This definitely makes the show very easy to binge compared to older Transformers show like the Unicron trilogy or Robots in Disguise(2015). If you have the time again, just power through it, the way season 1 ends really sets up a promising season 2.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I would like to defend the show cause I don't think it's that bad... except you made some very valid complaints and I have no way to defend that.

I will say the show is WAY better than that PS1 Game you referenced. I've never played the game so I'm not sure how good it is from a gamer point of view but I have seen the entire story on YouTube... the voice acting is terrible... and other than some time travel nonsense to explain how Optimus, Rodimus, Megatron, and Galvatron can all be in the same place I pretty much forgot what the plot was immediately after I saw it. It was an interesting concept horribly executed.

Other than that though... yup the series has problems... you pretty much covered them all already... I think it is getting better the more I watch it but it is admittedly very hard to get into.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Just wait for the next, even shittier TF cartoon that will make Cyberverse look better by comparison, just like Cyberverse did for RID, and RID for Prime.

We are out of the age where shows and cartoons improve in quality, they only decrease and become cheaper and more pandering. Just look at Star Wars, from the fantastic Clone Wars to the mediocre Rebels to the downright repulsive Resistance, and try not to weep.

Soon action animation will be still images shown in sequence, with no actual animation or frame rate at all. Just a hand full of drawings and bad narration, and someone out there will still defend it as a "style."

• Like Like x 4
  7. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

I tried to get into it - I liked the designs for the most part, even if some of them were too G1-esque, I can forgive the fight choreography, and it has some good ideas, but I can't get past the voice acting and dialogue. It knocks me completely out of the show. I think that Split Lip raises a good point - NuRID was worse than Prime (I couldn't get through the first few episodes with that one either), and Cyberverse is worse than NuRID. The sad part is that each of these shows has good ideas, they just fail in the execution.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reask

Reask Predacon

I've only dabbled into the show casually and it's okay. I find Bumblebee's radio talk incredibly annoying, animation is meh and the voice acting can't hold my attention at all.

Yet I'm always checking in to see what the next episode will bring. I appreciate Prowl isn't a prick in this series for once, and what makes me keep checking up on it is how much lore these writers know. I know it was briefly in the background in Animated, but when did anyone expect to get a solid 10 minutes dedicated to Maccadam who only die hard fans have heard of?

If Cyberverse can bring in more obscure characters or ideas from the deep lore while still giving a half decent Autobot Decepticon war, I'll still be watching. I'm not going to dedicate myself to it but its an ok time killer.

For you Slayer, I think your next journey into Transformers will be the comics, Marvel or IDW, there will be a lot there for you to get into. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I've only ever seen one, maybe two, episodes of Clone Wars. Which is surprising because I love Star Wars and Plo Koon is my favorite character and I've seen that he seems to be prominent in a bit of the show.

... I should really make time for it.

I saw that IDW is getting ready to do a reboot on the comics, I think.

I agree, I should really dive into them. It would be a lot of fun to blog I think.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    You should. Especially with the whole thing on Netflix and the last season coming this year. It's quite a ride, some high highs, some admittedly low lows, but overall it fleshes out the Prequel characters wonderfully. And yes, Plo Koon is super cool in that show. He's so chill.

The only annoying part of Clone Wars is the first three seasons are not chronological. They jump around the timeline telling short stories as part of bigger war. (though there is a list online that orders the show in chronological order)

Hell, I'd hang around for a "Bayformer Fan watches the Clone Wars" blog. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    This is kind of what I'm worried about. I actually enjoy RID, but I do acknowledge that it comes across as 'cheaper' than Prime.

I think one problem is that some of these shows are kind of lacking a distinct premise or catch. Prime's catch was telling a fairly traditional Transformers story in 3D animation, with a slightly darker angle. Animated's goal was modernizing the brand for the current generation, and pulling from various incarnations. I'm not really sure what Cyberverse's catch is. I guess the idea of visiting Bumblebee's memories is neat, but it mostly just seems to be a throwback to G1 stuff. That would be fine if they went all out and showed us G1 in a way we've never seen it before (maybe with Prime-style 3D animation), but what we got isn't really that new or interesting. We've seen the cell-shaded style several times now, and it was frankly better in the last series. Cyberverse has a couple individual neat ideas (like Macadams), but as far as the big picture goes, I don't really feel like I've seen anything I haven't seen before. Even RID left me feeling like I'd seen something new.

12. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

Never watched the show. The only thing that stands out is the voice acting for all the wrong reasons. The show isn't recorded in L.A. nor Canada, instead New York. Some voice actors sound good. Bumblebee sounds like a poor mans Nolan North but I thought the voice work was ok at best. But you can tell they aren't professionals. Some of the voice actors don't show emotion. Optimus Prime's voice lacks power like Peter Cullen, I can excuse it if it were a younger Optimus like say Garry Chulk but he isn't playful with his tone. He just sounds boring. Also when Slipstream falls she says "No!" In the most uninterested way.

I would of preferred if they used L.A. actors who have experience in voice acting.

I have yet to watch the show though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agreed until you mentioned Rebels in the same sentence as Resistence. Rebels was freakin excellent. Slow start but amazing crecendo and ending.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I freakin hated RID. I tried so hard to like it. I never understood how the folks who were complaining about Prime and using the word Macguffin, like Peewee Herman or Sesame Street has just taught them a new word, were okay with the crappy Con of the week formula in RID. Only the finales were good. Then it would return to the status quo the very next episode.

Cyberverse isn’t the prettiest show. But the story isn’t following a relic or con hunt for once. It’s actual got some forward momentum.

I love seeing Cybertron before the war. It’s something I hadn’t seen on TV or a movie.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pichomp

Pichomp Well-Known Member

I agree... I tried watching (in order) up to the Macaddams episode hoping it would get better. It didn’t. So I stopped watching. If it happens to get good at some point, someone let us know. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Eh, one of the reasons I didn't like Prime was that it seemed to promise more than it could deliver on. For example, it seemed to be aimed at a more mature audience and played itself off as a more serious take but it never did anything that mature. Sure, it was dark but dark doesn't equal mature. It went for the easy road a lot and when it tried to use an interesting premise for a storyline, it failed to do anything with it beyond the bare minimum. I remember being especially disappointed in the Orion Pax two-parter.

RID 2016 wasn't anything special but I enjoyed it because it felt like it knew what it wanted to be. Prime, on the other hand, felt like it knew what it wanted to be but never managed to actually become it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

I think Cyberverse is going to do the trick for kids and some of the older fans but it's just not for me personally. It has a lot of good ideas but the execution isn't working for me and my enjoyment is dragged down by the focus on Bumblebee and Windblade.

I find Bumblebee absolutely insufferable, especially in the present where it feels like he never shuts up and I want to skip past every scene he's in. He talks entirely in quotes so there's nothing interesting or funny about his dialogue and the gimmick gets old from the get-go because you're never given a respite from it. I don't mind Windblade but since I don't like her either, I'm still stuck with a dynamic duo that's as appealing for me to watch as a fly and a lightbulb.

I will say that I do like their take on Grimlock. It's an interesting combination, using a new spin on his character by making him an eloquent, intelligent gentleman explorer in his robot mode while at the same, making him act more like his previous incarnations in his beast mode. I thought his introduction episode was very tonally confused but it didn't stop me from warming up to the guy. His addition to the main cast also helped me sit through the last couple of episodes because he broke up the tedium. He was fun to listen to and whenever he talked, I got a brief break from having to hear Bumblebee say something.

I'm still going to tune in for season two to see if I think it's gotten better, which is a possibility now that there are more Autobots around.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy MAXIMUM CARNAGE!!!

Have you guys noticed Bumblebee is slowly becoming a out of character version of Cliffjumper?

Bumblebee isn't cocky or wisecracking. He is a young Autobot who looks up to higher ranks and wants to befriend everyone. He isn't the strongest but wants to help out in battle. In IDW comics Bunblebee matured and commanded the Autobots.

The only reason I feel they are portraying Bumblebee like Cliffjumper is to appeal to kids. Cause a soft spoken character would not appeal to kids.

In Prime Bumblebee wasn't seen as a kid appeal character. But Smokescreen took that spot.

What the hell has happened to our yellow kindhearted friend? He has since became a Cliffjumper clone.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can definitely see what you mean. I feel it would have gotten there if it hadn’t been cancelled. But one thing I will always love about Prime was the tone. It’s one of the very few transformers show that took on a more serious tone versus the kiddie stuff we see in the other shows.

I’m really enjoying Cyberverse though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Rebels wasn't bad, and pretty much anything to do with Maul, Ahsoka, the clones or Vader was excellent. That said, the show was a massive step back from the quality of Clone Wars, especially from a visual standpoint. The downgrade in CGI and the choice to emulate Ralph McQuarrie's concept art in the character designs was a huge mistake IMO. It made the show look categorically inferior to the Clone Wars, which was ultimately my comparison. Based purely on looks, cartoons just get worse.

I mean, just look at Rebel's versions of Yoda and Anakin... yeesh.

• Like Like x 2