Bay / Writers commentary

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NoleScream, Oct 21, 2009.

1. NoleScream

NoleScream The Anti-Troll

Interesting stuff on the Bluray (and dvd I'm sure). I thought it was interesting regarding some of the battles the writers had with Bay. The big criticism I've heard of Bay is that he doesn't want to develop the bots, but frankly the writers seem to focus on the humans and their relationships more than bots. At least from the commentary it seems like that to me. Maybe I'm nuts. :) 

I just don't get why plot and "giant robots" is mutually exclusive to the writers in their comments?

2. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It Was Pretty Interesting, But It Revealed Something MAJOR....All The Arcee Twins Are Dead!

3. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    it was an interesting commentary.

I actually would've preferred it if MIchael Bay and the writers had separate audio commentary tracks.

I've listened to all of MIchael Bay's commentaries on his DVDs and he is a very entertaining commentator because he tells interestin and funny stories that happen on set and he doesn't get too technical.

But I think this one was one of his weaker commentaries because it keeps on switching between the writers and Bay. Still interesting but commentary on movie 1 was better.

4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    its not twins its triplets

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly. You can tell that the two tracks were recorded separately and just spliced together into one commentary. Which makes you wonder if somebody said something to make someone feel the need to edit it that way...?

6. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

yeah I picked up on that.

It seems the writers are at fault for the boring human aspect, and bay just wanted more bots and to blow shit up!

If they writers had their way, there wouldn't have been any kitchen bots!!!!

7. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But the kitchen bot scene was pointless. Blowing random stuff up is boring and doesn't advance the story. Bay forcing the kitchen scene in made the whole conversation between BB and sam in the garage not make any sense. Why is sam telling BB he doesn't need protection two seconds after BB just saved his life. It's retarded

8. rapid_fire

because it kicks ass!!!

I bought TRANSFORMERS to see TRANSFORMERS!!

If I wanna see humans, I'll go outside

9. NoleScream

NoleScream The Anti-Troll

Now now, don't go pushing the "anti-kid fun" button! lol

10. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Haha LOL! good one!

11. rapid_fire

lol that was funny nolescream

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    "Screw plot and good character moments, I want EXPLOSIONS AND ROBOTS! ^^^^ YEAH!"

Not that I don't want those, but...Yeah, didn't make any sense there. And it was money that could have gone into other shots...:( 

13. oddacidtea

oddacidtea Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll play Devil's Advocate here. I think that the story from a Human perspective is very important. It's sells the scale, and the Disguise theme that is as essential to Transformers as it always has been. There have been a mix of good and bad decisions in both TF's films in that regard.

Good:

1.Sam has been a well-portrayed, great Character all around. He's witty, nerdy, lucky and unlucky, and well casted.
    A. TF1-No Sacrifice, No Victory
    B. ROTF- Refusal on the Call to action.
    2.Lennox/Epps/Soccent/NEST (Military assistance is a must)I like the idea of Military guys underfoot, AND able to battle TF's. I know this isn't popular amongst fans, but Indestructable Enemies or Heroes are boring. Also, by ROTF, there was clear loyalty and comradery with the BOTS, which I did not expect to happen.
    A. SOCCENT
    B. NEST HQ after Shanghai
    C. Lennox silently getting news of Prime's death. Perfectly done.

Bad.
    A. TF1 Hacker sub-plot
    B. Eliminating S7 rather than intergration into NEST.
    C. ROTF, too little interaction between Non-Prime/Bee bots and humans
    D. Using Twins, rather than cooler bots to show the Bots as characters
    E. Overuse of Racist/Gag Humor.

I think that the TF's in ROTF were much better balanced, screen-wise, because they were an important presence while off-screen. I think that that is the key. Whether is being pissed about Sam's treatment of BB, or his drive to find redemption and ressurrect Prime, and NEST's loyalty and willingness to risk everything to save him and help Sam.

TF G1 was always at it's best when it was in the here and now, on Earth, with Humans underfoot. After Season 2, with Season 3 and TFTM, I lost interest. So many good characters where gone, replaced by Neon Futuristic also-rans.

When I was a kid, I was sitting in the back seat of a car, wondering when vehicle was going to transform before my eyes. That's why I fell ion love with TF in the first place. TF's NEED people.

14. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Wow! It almost feels like the writers talked even more than Bay!!!! I'm listening to it again right now.

I wish Bay talked more

15. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Just re-watched the scene, and there be no comma in my Blu-Ray subtitles ;) 

It's apparently "Arcee twins"

So either someone forgot a punctuation mark (which I'll choose to believe) or they're just calling them twins instead of triplets. "Twins" sounds more :bay  than triplets anyway ;) 

16. rapid_fire

this is exactly what that one dude who made a thread about, was talking about, peopel thinking they were called arcee twins, when in fact, he was saying arcee, twins. Yet even the person writing the subtitles got it wrong!

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Commentary was worthless, every special feature I want through was just one big Micheal Bay ego wank.

18. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked that Bay was calling out things even he didn't like in the final cut.
    He also called out a continuity mistake in Egypt during the "blue night" scene.
    So, how long before we get the 3 hour "director's cut"?

19. oddacidtea

oddacidtea Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This has been a running thread with TF interviews, Commentary, and Press in General. Count the amount of times that words like "Big", "Massive", and any other synonym you can think of are used.

Somebody had a complex.

20. Vengecore

Vengecore decepti-jerk

Ebay:
    Screw that, I'll take a 90 minutes writer's cut.