Bay WANTS Your Money-Imax Conundrum...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Conceptron, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    And you shouldn't be ashamed to say that you liked the Harry Potter movie better. Just because we're transfans doesn't mean we're obliged to love and worship everything with 'Transformers' in the title.

The TMNT movie was better anyway. :cool: 

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    got my tickets for this saturday!!!!

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It didn't always mean that though, it was started as just another way to say that the movie bots aren't real Transformers, just like the Godzilla fans say that the american Godzilla isn't the titular giant reptile.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I suppose you could construe it that way... but as one of the people who first started using that term, I never said that Bayformers weren't "real" Transformers. They sure as heck weren't "traditional" transformers, but that's not really a qualitative distinction.

Bricks, Shellformers, Beastformers, BeastMachines, Playskools, Bayformers... whatever. I'm not generally a big fan of any of those particular styles of TFs, but several examples of each of these have places in my collection. Those who didn't like the movie designs may have taken up the term Bayformer, but it's still a perfectly serviceable designation for the distinctive TFs that came out of Michael Bay's vision.

And if it hints just a bit at the hubris of a director who played and loose with TF tradition in spite of vehement fan reaction, then so be it. :) 

QFT! While both films had their weak spots here and there, I have no problem agreeing that TMNT and pretty much ANY of the Harry Potter movies were "better films" than TRANSFORMERS... from the script right on up to the final product.

(though obviously TRANSFORMERS does take the cake with regards to special effects, and the explodo-meter rating :)  )

zmog

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never mind that you get to see the movie ON A FREAKING IMAX SCREEN!! But I guess that's not enough for some people.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess I'm having a hard time seeing the degree of "contention" and "vehement fan reaction" you describe, now that the movie has been seen--and widely enjoyed and accepted--by the majority of the fanbase.

The movie certainly divided the fandom in the year leading up to its release, but has (in my view), unified it since. So many dissenters came back after seeing the movie and admitted that while it was different than what they were hoping for, they ended up really enjoying it for what it was.

Obviously everyone's entitled to their own feelings about how effectively the movie met their expectations, but I don't agree that there's still a ton of "contention" about it--except for what Conceptron generates every few days with one of these threads.

7. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I'll buy an extra ticket and save you a seat.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Bay can have my money because the movies going to look damn good on that big IMAX screen :rock 

9. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:

Here! Here!

People got excited when it was announced to be coming on IMAX. The whole point of the re-release was to watch it on the best possible format.

The 2 minute additional footage announcement, came much later. And when they found out it was only 2 minutes, they were dissappointed when they were originally excited by the fact that it was coming out in IMAX.

I never really cared for 2 minutes of additional footage cuz it was just going to be a few seconds added here and there that won't have any impact to the overall experience. The thing that is supposed to attract people to the viewing is NOT the 2 minutes but the fact that it is on a HUGE screen with HUGE sound.

Don't forget that.

The movie does not need new BOT footage to warrant an IMAX release. My only complaint is that I wish i got to see it on IMAX on the day of its first release but since we're getting one this friday, I'm so there!

10. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

What's wrong with the people on that site? Do explain your accusation/not-so-veiled insult.

Wow, judgemental much? I can't help but be amused at how much hate the movie, which is now creeping into, well...accusations/not-so-veiled insults.

:lolol 

Trust you? You said you could and would write a better script. Where is it?

Exactly. I'm waiting to read your script as well. Your own words:

So if making a better script is "FAR too easy," then by all means, do it. In fact, if it's as easy as you imply, you could have had it done already. Where is it?

:dj 

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I won't say that Transformers isn't an entertaining movie, which it undeniably is (why else would it have made a shitload of cash?). It's just not a very good movie.

Similarily, many good movies have bombed at box office. Why? I wouldn't say it's the film's fault, it's the viewer...people don't like being lectured or forced to use their own brain to understand what's going on and why, they just want to be entertained.

12. Nemesis91078

Nemesis91078 SAY cheeze!!!

Ebay:
    2 words

i got 2 words for mike on the footage not being included on the dvd and the dvd deleted scenes ... bull ... crap

makes no damned sense

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I just booked my tickets for tomorrow night. I've already told my friend going with me that I may want to see the show right after if the 'high' after seeing it on IMAX is good enough and she says she's game for that. ^_^

:lolol 

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I think it would be a mistake to assume that the natural cooling of debate over a movie that has come and gone indicates a "unification" of the fandom over all things movie. I myself know a number of fans who were disappointed with the movie, or who enjoyed it despite it's failings in their eyes. Most people I know either hated it, or said it was "better than they thought it would be", admitting that it was reasonable popcorn fare.

I'm sure that many fans who found the movie entertaining still feel that they would have preferred to see a Starscream that doesn't look like a chicken-monkey and robot designs that don't look like upended cutlery drawers.

However, it would be useful here to draw the line between two rather different aspects of the debate (especially now that the movie has struck)... the issue of the non-traditional robot designs and the issue of whether the movie was actually good at all.

I still don't like the Bayformer designs all that much, but it was a secondary issue to me. My real complaint about the movie was that it was terrible. :) 

However, with regard to my earlier posts, it's mostly concerning fan reaction during the production period. As designs, the Bayformers were contentious, and still are certainly. So are the TF Animated designs, though on a smaller scale because the fanboy stakes are less dramatic for a TV show than a movie. It's just that to a certain degree, people have moved on. The movie can't dominate the fan chatter forever after all.

And certainly there WAS vehement fan reaction to the movie aesthetic and script elements when it was being produced... so my statement about Bay's hubris stands as well. I don't see the movie's financial success as somehow being Bay's vindication (though I'm sure HE does)... we always knew it would make money. I was never one of the people who said the movie would tank... or even suck. I was always cautiously optimistic despite my misgivings about the designs... which is why I was disappointed so much by the final product I guess.

The script WAS terrible for the movie. I mean really awful, despite a few funny lines and moments. I have little doubt that Conceptron, or many fans with a bit of talent, COULD turn out a better script story-wise... though probably the dialogue might not be as snappy, and who knows whether any script could survive the Hollywood process intact. I can't blame the scriptwriters too much because projects like this always go through the blender a million times before they spit out something that the shareholders think will pack summer seats and sell merchandising tie-ins.

That is why the blockbuster is truly it's own species, apart from normal movies... I suppose it should be judged accordingly and not by the standards of less compromised film mediums, but sometimes it's hard to see through the mess.

zmog

15. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Aaaaand that's what some of us are waiting for. When a person claims they can do something better, especially within the confines of days or "hours" AND continued to make such claims, the people who remember tend to wonder where the hell the proof is after a while.

No proof of claim = bogus claim <----a term otherwise known as "bullshit."

:dj 

16. RichieNine9

RichieNine9 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i apologize for not going through this entire wonderful thread and read everyone's wonderful thoughts (because i am at work right now).....but.....
    all i have to say is god forbid Michael Bay or anyone else who is involved in the movie industry wants to make as much money as possible from their films. i promise you everyone i know goes to work to make money. i know i do. why should he be so different?

17. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Do you hear that sound?

It's your argument being flushed down the toilet with one simple line! Never, NEVER, state you can do something better than what has been produced, especially when what has been produced made over half a billion dollars worldwide.

This movie was meant to be a popcorn flick. Set up the basic story, and then blow the audience away with special effects. The script was written to match that overall idea, and it succeeded beyond a doubt.

Let me guess ... you'd like to write a script that deals with more Cybertron backstory, more Autobot/Decepticon screen-time, more interaction between the Transformers, maybe explore the relationship between Optimus Prime and Megatron...

Hate to tell you this, but the last movie that decided to go "story" instead of "action" was this thing I call Superman, and while it didn't FAIL at the box office, Warner Bros. considered it a total bomb, especially when compared to Batman.

No one is going to go see Transformers if it's a philosophical movie exploring the backstory of characters no one gives half a shit about unless they're blowing the hell out of each other with awesome special effects. Once again, we overrate our own importance to the franchise we love. We can't carry a toyline, we can't carry a movie. We can carry a comic, unless the comic creator is buying Porsches...

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    *sigh*

I'm just not gonna bother saying it anymore, seeing it just keeps getting ignored...

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for Conceptron's script too. I need some toilet paper.

Exactly. I think the movie was poorly written and directed but it delivered for everything IT WAS INTENDED TO BE. I knew since the moment Murphy posted the green light on his pages the movie wouldn't be shakespeare. It was a summer action movie with great special effects. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want your beloved G1 characters, go out and buy the fucking 1986 movie and watch it in your parents' basement clutching your G1 Prime while sucking your thumb...but surprise surprise, even THAT movie was poorly written with no pacing, horrible dialogue intended to SELL NEW TOYS. Sound familiar?

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well stated Kickback! Especially the part about those fans that overrate themselves. Toilet flushing noise indeed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.