Bay Update: VAs, Military and Action

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Master Fwiffo, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Then this proves than I'm not a fan since I'm not mad or slighty angry. I read it and I think it's Ok. You are not gonna kill me, right?

2. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Well...
    Best of luck to Michael Bay.
    Dunno how the movie will turn out. But I'm still hoping to see it. :thumbs2:  :thumbs2:  :thumbs2: 

3. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Who did Megatron voice in his brief Beast Wars apperance? That sounded kinda similar to the original voice actor...though I much prefer the original!

4. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I could see Fishburne working as Prime. Actually I'd like to see Michael Ironside as Megatron. He has a very good villan voice weather it's just as a va or actuall appearing in the movie. He made a great Darkside in Superman TAS. I know that a cartoon as well, but I don't think it's as cheesy. He also made a great villan in Highlander II so I think he could do it.

5. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I agree on the Ironside thing, that could be awesome. But I am also curious to hear how Mr Spock himself would handle the voice (his voiceact of Galvatron in the old movie was excellent), but it depends on his skills and age.

6. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Forget Nimoy, what TF gets The Shat? :lol 

7. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes.. but only as Prime. I can just imagine him saying "Autobots.. transform and roll out."

8. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    w00t!! RObot designs we've never seen before :D  awesome they aren't just going the alternator ruote with these guys like that fake test video we saw a while back

hopefully something like that Citroen commercial cept cooler :p 

9. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering completist, recently fell off the wagon

I think everything will be fine, and fit in with the times. Hey, at least it's not Anime. And...we might get some pretty cool toys to follow, rather than the usual drab, abstract vehicle, and pointless or minimal transformations. Excluding of course Alternators, Masterpiece, and Binaltech. It seems that these might be more sophisticated and Technical Transformers. And to me that means, articulation, REAL(not imaginary) vehicles, no animals, and practical transformations.

10. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Ok, I think one of the main point that has been missed through 7 pages of replies. He's asking us about the 3rd act!! I think it'd be great for the 3rd had something to do with the appearance of the space bridge and leave a set up for the sequel when the Transfomers take the battle to Cybertron, while taking some of the humans along, I can just see the scene, a swirling space bridge before prime, and he turns back and extend his hand to the humans, "Well, are you ready?" "where are we going?" "Cybertron..."

11. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

My impression is that he wants to listen to the fanbase and do what he can to make this movie work, but at the same time he wants to do 'his own thing'.

If Cullen and Welker get the parts, then go us. But honestly I just want them to make a good movie that I would enjoy. There is not going to be a movie that makes everyone happy. I want to see this movie no matter what so if Soundwave isn't a Helicopter or a boombox, Megatron isn't a gun, and Bumblebee isn't a VW or whatever I'm still seeing the movie. I'm excited they're making the movie at all so go them. I just hope Bay gets over this 'artist' phase and listens to reason. Yes the bottom line is up to him whatever we say, but it would good to knwo our opinions count and are appriciated.

The majority of ppl to see this flick will be ppl from these and other sites and other fanboys of the old G1 cartoon and making this movie based on our collective opinions is a good way to make a movie IMHO.

It's called marketing to the comsumer! It works!

*hint hint Mr. Bay*

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to think I wanted Cullen and Welker as the lead VA's or else the movie was doomed. But after reading a watching the events of the movie unfold, I think I've changed my mind. Michael Bay and Dreamworks will be putting an amazing film on celluloid (or digital media). Period. Reputations are on the line. For both the Hollywood types and for Hasbro. This is one of their biggest franchises ever. They want this to be a successful venture more than enyone. And if this movie succeeds, look out for a GI Joe live action movie faster than you can say "Roll Out!". So let's sit back and enjoy the ride, shall we?

13. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Before you tell someone to 'Start thinking outside the box', you might try doing so yourself. You might have noted that the thrust of my arguement for these two individuals in these roles wasn't that they had played them before, it was their experience. For these two roles I don't want to forced through the excruciating experience of listening to the voice of some Hollywood star in these roles whose only experience with voice work is the lackluster ADR work that they've done to cover what couldn't be caught by microphone because of other backgrounds noises during their lackluster acting.

What I would like to hear for Prime is not Cullen doing John Wayne. I honestly hated that during the G1 days. I would like to hear him doing same deep, dramatic voicing he uses for commercials and movie trailers. It's a nice nod to the fans because they'll recognize the voice, and it's good for everyone else because you'll have a voice for Prime that is expertly done and has a depth that suggests a very powerful individual.

Welker is most well-known for his sillier voices and sound effects, but he nonetheless has an extraordinary range and alot of experience in taking direction on what a role should have. I very much see your point that the original voice he used for Megatron probably won't fit the bill here, but if he traded out most of the silly rasp for depth (which he can easily do) there would be something there. It's not like there aren't other vocal qualities that he could bring to bear to with the proper direction. What we hear in the end from him probably wouldn't be the G1 cheesy cartoon Megatron, but there's a much better chance that it would sound better than anything anyone else could come up with. At the same time what we end up with from him to make the right Megatron for the movie might still have enough of the old Megatron for fans to recognize.

2. I would advise against using phrases like 'Start thinking outside the box' on this forum. I'm sure sounds fine where people like Bay are putting up his announcements, but most of the people around here probably associate talk like that with the people that invented it. Namely, idiotic middle-management or other similarly-useless business people who can't even think for themselves, much less do so with enough ability to not have to use such meaningless, over-used prattle. (I genuinely do not mean to imply that you are such a person, I'm just conveying the full breadth of what is brought to mind when phrases like that are used.)

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Naysayers be damned! Cullen and Welker for the win!

Although Pee Wee Herman would be good too.

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Oh for god's sake. Enough about the #$%@ing VAs.

[​IMG]

As for the military being involved, while a positive thing, it's hardly unprecedented. Happens all the time; I'd have been more surprised if they'd said no for some reason.
    I do find his statement about the Pentagon helping out "because he makes the military look good" interesting. Seeing as how Bay's best movie involves a group of Marines turned mercenaries, who take Americans hostage, threaten to shower San Fran with nerve gas, and kill a Navy SEAL team in the process (in arguably the best scene of Bay's best movie at that).

16. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Idea: let Cullen and Welker audition and let THE DIRECTOR decide who's best for the roles.

Question: I would be very satisfied with Welker as Soundwave and Cullen as Ironhide. Would you?

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm not surprised in the least. I'm still really hoping for Cullen and Welker...I really couldn't care less about the others in brutal honesty, but those two would really give the movie points for me. As long as the voices fit the characters I'll be fine with it...but the instant I see two big name actors as Prime and Megatron I'm giving up the meager hope of this turning out any good...which is actually what I'm expecting. Maybe I'd have a little more faith if Bay's movie's didn;t turn out like they were directed by a ******ed fucking chimpanzee.

18. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would be extremely nice to have VA's that sound like Prime and Megs should sound, but past that, I really don't care too much about who the person is doing it.

As far the designs go, I just hope Bay realizes most of the vehicles used in the original 80's toon are still being driven around, so they wouldn't look that out of place. However, I realize he wants to use updated designs, which might not be that great of a choice b/c I think most of the cars today look to similar. The cars in the 80's were kind of diverse. Or at the very least, maybe he'll use exotic cars and race cars to break up normal vehicles if he uses modern cars (cars from 2000-present).

I personally don't like the comment about making the Army look good (unless he's talking about making them look helpful) b/c it sounds like the army may turn out to able to fight Decepticons on their own making the army appear really powerful and detracting attention away from the Transformers.

I think the 3rd act should definitely leave it open for a return to Cybertron. And MAYBE they could even throw in something like having the Space Bridge open only to Show Shockwave fighting a war against Magnus and Hot Rod. I know it may not fit perfectly with the old cartoons, but the rest of the movie seems like it won't fit in too well either and we could see some more TF figs if they did that at the end.

19. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    People don't seem to understand that if they don't use Cullen / Welker, I think there's no chance in hell that they'll use Kaplan / Chalk / Kaye. Why the hell use a no name actor that impersonates Cullen when you can hire "no name" Cullen for relatively the same cost? I would say it's gonna be Cullen / Welker or 'celebraties.'

20. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All he has to do is make a good movie, or the fandom's gonna nickname him Uwe Boll Jr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.