Bay ripping off Star Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AniProwl, Jun 25, 2009.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Vader = Megatron

Does it really work?

Palpatine = Fallen

Car Car Binks = Jar Jar

Seriously, I wish Bay had his own style of filming instead of copying Taratino and now the good George Lucas.

The parallels fail more here than in the 86 movie.

I bet the following will happen in TF 3, Grimlock will just roar, Unicron will be this humoongious non-sentient planet devourer, then Megs and Optimus have a battle where Megs chops off Prime's hand and gives away some big revelation, Jetfire will appear like Obi-Wan does in Empire and Jedi, etc.

At least, there's one factor Star Wars doesn't have, but Transformers has: Starscream.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Ripping off and inspired by = 2 different things.

3. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    And also The Matrix

The moment the human characters were inside that tomb which contained the other primes and the matrix of leadership combined with that Sam's "outer body experience" scene felt like something out of The Matrix and Neo being The One.

When Sam said "I'm doing this because I believe" and all other stuff he said before that line, it felt like it went back to "The Prophecy says I am supposed to......." kind of thing

so it borrows from The Matrix and Star Wars as well as T3 with the Terminatrix. Basically 3 of the biggest Sci-Fi franchises.

4. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I noted that they managed to draw on both the Matrix and Harry Potter within about 30 seconds with the whole him going into a dream land and being told what to do to win the fight after seemingly being killed, and Megan being all like I LOVE YOU to wake him up.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can kinda see the comparison between the emperor and the fallen but I think its more just trying to find a more threatening villain then the first movie as opposed to blatantly ripping off star wars.

Just because both characters are accused of being racist means that bay stole the idea?

I honestly don't see the comparisons to tarantino at all. Quentin has said himself that he cant shoot action well and all of his scenes are well thought out with deep dialogue. If anything he is the anti-Bay

6. red4

red4 Banned

Not to mention the fact that all the humans in SW evolved in another galaxy, thus rendering them technically aliens, and the Cybertronians are aliens, so like whoa.

7. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I swear the fallen called megatron his apprentice.

megatron should have killed him right there :p 

8. red4

red4 Banned

Yes he did.

Also, I thought Darth Fallen was supposed to be trapped in a dimensional prison or something; not stuck in a bowl of spaghetti where you can talk to him face-to-face.

9. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    whats wrong w that...i liked star wars..lol

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was trapped in a dimensional spaghetti bowl.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Given that Lucas freely admits most of his ideas for Star Wars were "ripped off" (actually, as some else pointed out, "inspired"/"homage" ARE different than ripped off) from some Japanese movies and of course, heavily borrowed from mythology, I think we can forgive Michael Bay.

And you do know Bay didn't write the script right???

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Throw in the Empire had a weapon to blow up planets while Transformers has a weapon to blow up stars. Hum and in Star Wars the old guy with the beard has to die to help the hero while in Transformers the old bot with the beard has to die to help the hero.

13. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I really just can't wait till the next Transformers franchise is announced so we can leave this all behind us. Come on season 4 of Animated! Make it all better.

14. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Double post!

15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay didn't write this movie.

16. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    But directors have the ultimate say in way is put in the movie and what is not.

17. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Excuse me. *walks to original poster and slaps them* Similarities =/= ripoff

18. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven

Arthurian mythology

And most of all, Frank Herbert's Dune novels.

If Bay really ripped off star wars, why should we forgive him?

When someone recycles stolen ideas, and puts out something that is 'good', that's an 'Homage'. When one does the same, but the end product is 'bad', that's a case of 'ripping off'.

In this case I'd say Bay did the latter.

I'd rather watch a bad movie with original ideas, than the same tired stories rehashed over and over, with minimal changes.

But then again I'm not sure that applies to rotf. Since Transformers has (almost) always been basically a copy of star wars.

19. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    Nothing wrong with Master and Apprentice. Makes more sense now that Megatron can now take total control of the Decepticons without any restraint.

20. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

ya but its still called plagiarism. Bay is a horrible director so what do horrible directors do. They cheat and in this case that steals.

My apprentice give me a F@##$ing break. Thats not only a rip off its rediculous. Ohhhhh whats he an apprentice of its not like they have teachings going on here that require someone to apprentice to something. Megs was just a lacky he cant be an apprentice in that method.

Why even revive megs when the fallen is just sitting right there. lol no obilisk no being trapped in another dimension. The move is inexplicably horrible.

you cant defend this movie its every bit as bad as its reviews say.