Bay quits transformers..?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Crombiecron, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Bay knows there are few directors with his box office pull who'd want the job and be up to it. Paramount know that too.

Bay either wants more time and/or more money. I don't believe he's actually quit.

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I was wondering if he was considering leaving. (I too thought that if they threw enough money his way, he'd come back.)

Well, this is good, and bad news.

Good news:
    No more long, drawn out, boring human segments that don't really push the story along.
    No more long, drawn out action sequences (final battles) that take 20-30 minutes to be completed.
    Orci & Kurtzman proved they have the talent with M:I3 and Star Trek, but they brought none of that to the table this time, or last, and just left a lot of character building go to shit, along with the story. (They too are leaving, last we heard.)
    No waiting for 2011 to get this trilogy finished, and over with.

Bad news:
    Who's going to replace Bay? (some of the directors that come to mind make me think they'd turn it into a melodrama or some such nonsense and lose the fun and still have it be stupid.)
    Who's going to replace Orci & Kurtzman? (perhaps even Khruger) (Will they make it smarter, and therefore a box office dud, or will they make it stupider, and be a humongous critical failure and a box office failure as well? I'm sure there are capable writers out there...)
    No more big explosions. (Say what you will about Bay, but you have to admit the special effects, and things of that nature were not only impressive, but a real winner.)

Hmm. :(  Not a lot of hope for TF3...

I knew something was up when Bay said he was taking a break, O&K said they were pretty much out for the 3rd one, and Paramount said no to 2012, and stuck with 2011 for TF3.

So, now who in the hell are they going to pick for the next director? And seriously, if ROTF is pretty much the same as TF07, but just more of the same, the next director doesn't have far to fall in case the whole thing goes to shit. In fact, I think the potential for a really impressive, and intelligent sequel is not only possible, but likely.

Don't get me wrong. I like Bay. I like his movies. But he's not a story kinda guy. He's an action/music video/commercial guy. We need a movie/story/action and adventure guy (or woman!) to helm the next one.

No...not Brett Ratner.
    No...not Stephen Sommers.
    No...not James Cameron. (He'll have it be...epic. 2.5 hours is long enough, he loves 3+)
    No...not John Woo. (It'll be highly stylized action, no story or weight to it.)

Maybe Bryan Singer. (Say what you want about Superman Returns, but X-Men, and X2: X-Men United were both excellent. And Superman wasn't a terrible film. Boring in spots, yes, but it was put together nicely. Hard work went into that one.)

Maybe J.J. Abrams. (I was impressed with his work on Trek, so I can't knock him.)

I really don't know...I'm completely at a loss right now.

I will say, I can't blame Bay for this one. The countless hours spent fine tuning every friggin' detail, every scene, every take, all the locations...yeah. I'd finally say "Ya know? I need a break. I'm done for a while. Take care."

3. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

No TF3 for Michael Bay!

Film news No Transformers 3 for Michael Bay | TotalFilm.com

Yes!
    Now, I hope Paramount sets the sequel (better a reboot) for 2011 with a new creative team.
    Suggest some directors: I pick Cameron, Alex Proyas or Zack Snyder (this last one would be fantastic, because he actually respects the source material).

4. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    This is a big turnaround from him saying he was taking a break and then coming back for TF3, just a few weeks ago.

I don't buy this.

That said: Source material? What "source" are you referring to? Because there's about a dozen and a half varied "sources" for Transformers to draw from. Given that, it doesn't even HAVE to stay true to said "source material" as each one is so different from the last. Robots come to earth, fight eachother, shit blows up, people caught in the middle. That's ALL the "source material" there really IS for Transformers.

5. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Boo. Put off by idiot fans.

Michael Bay was the ideal director for the Transformers movies. James Cameron is the only other that I can think of that comes close.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The next director better hire Furman to write the script.

7. Liberator Prime

Liberator Prime All are one.

Well, I lost faith in Singer. Superman Returns was one of the worst movies I've seen IMHO, the only high points being Spacey and Marsden. Valkyrie was a miss, too.

Maybe Snyder or Abrhams.

8. Liberator Prime

already being discussed in the news section.

9. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i thought he was, just taking a years break from it. come to that, shouldnt there be more of a official word yet?

10. Crombiecron

Crombiecron Planet Muncher

If abrams took over he would end up going against himself at the box office
    Snyder would be cool, only an ultra stylised version of transformers might not fit too well, super slo mo bot punches would be sweeeet though, but bay does that as well.

singer no way.. superman returns was baaaaaaaad. and not that i have anything against him but he seems compelled to make all his movies metaphors for gay rights, superman returns looked like GQ magazine the motion picture, i dont think i want optimus prime being gay...

11. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Yay!

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Bullshit. He's just pulling the same bait card that the writers are - saying they're "done" in a veiled attempt to get fanboy accolades & begging, bigger incentives from the studios to make one more movie, etc. Bay knows as well as anyone that (smart) directors of multi-billion dollar franchises don't just pick up and leave after they've been given a greenlight to do a sequel, let alone an open ticket for a third film to make a complete trilogy.

All the same, I knew there was no way he'd ever make 5 of these movies like he claimed to wanted to do while filming TF1. But Bay being Bay, I have zero doubt that he'll want one more shot to top himself... and that WILL be TF3. No question.

13. luca_frontino

luca_frontino Well-Known Member

But the news section is not suited for talks on a possible new direction for TF3.

14. Bilbo Boxhead

Bilbo Boxhead Geewunners GTFO

yay!!! :D ream:

15. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm probably in the minority on this, but I hope that he decides to do the Transformers 3, even at the cost of waiting an extra year. He has done a very good job so far and a different director would likely break the flow of the three films.

16. Liberator Prime

Plausible.

17. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Bay will probably make enough money from ROTF to retire for ever. :lol 

I wouldn't mind seeing him go, I reckon someone else could easily do it better especially these days since we've seen Nolan take on Batman and Abrhams do star trek so well.

I doubt Nolan or Cameron would want to do it, it's not a clever or serious franchise and probably wouldn't fit what Nolan likes to do.

Abrhams seems much more likley, Trek had a great balcnce of action/effects and actual acting/characters. I bet he could make a tf movie that more people then just action or existing tf fans would really enjoy.

18. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

I call Bullshit on this.

Anyway, I wish Bay and his creative tem would stay on to do at least TF3. It would just look and feel very different if somebody else was to do it.

19. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

Thank primus!!!

I so hope this is true....he has completely slaughtered what transformers could be and should be....an NO, im not Geewunning. The list goes on and on about how his ego gets in the way of the source material and vast TF universe to pull things from. I hope someone like the Wachowski Brothers are able to get on this.

20. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    WEll honestly isnt this semi good news? yes it sucks say he does leave and someone needs to pick back up. but honestly could be the best thing to happen.... it would be nice to see another directors take on the movie franchise but ehh it does suck he couldnt stick it through to another film. I just think its a false report and people are misenterpreting what hes saying. think he possible like he said before taking time off and making another film and then coming back to the franchise.

But if not how would u want the next film to be now that bay would be gone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.