Bay or no Bay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Xformermike, Dec 3, 2011.

?

Should Bay direct the possibly upcoming Transformers 4?

1. Yes.

52 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. No.

74 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

If you're expecting the Decepticons to win, you're going to be disapointed. They always lose. Even in the non films.

It's kind of disheartening to see the bad guys win and humanity doomed after all.

2. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

This.

3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

We know that. the films carried it out all wrong. After the first, the makers seem to chose armies over quality. The more bad guys there are, the more the good guy have to beat at once. This make the bad guys look bad. Just look at how many get killed on each side. A few Autobots died while hundreds of Decepticons died. That is just unrealistic.

They are treated as weak, drooling, idiots instead of huge threats. In ROTF they have no tactic at all and in DOTM, The large armies are nowere to be found. It's just a nine bots VS several groups of twenty cons. But even then, you would expect the Autobots would slowly lose troops but no, they just slaughter the Decepticons, group by group.

It should also be noted that wouldn't kill the makers to have the Decepticons win a movie or two but have the Autobots win in the final movie were the fate of the war is at stake.

4. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

To Bay, or not to Bay...that is the question... :p 

Even though I like the movies, I think it's time for a new director to step in. For better or worse, at least it'd be something different to look at.

5. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

I could go for some change but with some continuity with the 1st 3.

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Indeed, contrary to popular belief here you can have the bad guys score a victory without winning the war, hello Empire Strikes Back, best of the star wars movies, that movie was in no way a victory for the rebellion.

7. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    Another one of these threads?really?

Anyways...
    ...agreed

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Hey ho, Michael Bay needs to GO.

9. Buzzer-Bot

Buzzer-Bot Kamikaze

For me, yes. I don't see many other directors wanting to step up to make TF4 or 5 other than Spielberg. Unless it could turn out to be what happened with the first Hulk film by Ang Lee and the much better latest one. Still, Bay may have messed up the 3 films, but I'll give him credit for attempting to bring TF to our big screens. It's all these that made TF more popular.

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    You're givin' credit to the wrong person, you should be thanking ILM studios

11. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    This poll wont be completely accurate since most people who hate the movies wouldn't be caught dead in this section.

So in all likelihood you might wanna quadruple the "NO's" once this thread is done.

12. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    I back this statement 100%. Bay's style, action, and cinematography are all pitch-perfect. It's just the actual plot and writing that are lacking.

Bay's trilogy proved that Transformers can still be popular and relevant in this day-and-age. And on the surface, the movies were fun, mindless, and enjoyable. But, Bay seems to not realize that Transformers is a lot more than just giant robots beating the crap out of each other and mass destruction. I get so effin' tired of hearing from some of my friends that "Transformers has no story", which is bullshit. Transformers has a well-developed cast of characters and a rich mythology. The movies just don't capitalize on any of it, simply taking the easy route out with explosions and popular music.

Transformers is capable of being a great science-fiction classic, right up there with The Matrix and Aliens and Planet of the Apes. What I want is a director who actually realizes that and can sift past Transformers's superficial concepts and uproot it's more provocative and intelligent themes.

Why can't the Decepticons win in one of the movies? Why can't Prime have internal conflicts with perpetuating a seemingly endless war? Why can't the protagonist's love interest become a casualty in the war, causing the hero to hate the Autobots for failing to protect her?

There's so many different ideas and emotions and thoughts that can be explored. They just aren't.

13. mogel94

mogel94 Well-Known Member

Get someone who gives a shit about the actual story of Transformers and can keep a consistent tone. But I agree Bay should be kept on as cinematographer.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

You can do the army of bad guys and you can make those bad guys tough as nails, but it requires killing off more than just the token good guy and film extras.

Take Aliens 2. A load of the Alien warriors in the film and a lot of them got killed off by the Marines. But the Marines were taking so many casualties even among the likeable characters that the Aliens never seemed weak. Thus by the time we get to Ripley vs the Alien Queen it's one of the most epic fights in film history because you honestly don't know which way it will go.

Or take Saving Private Ryan. Lots of Germans get killed in the film but they never seemed weak or not a threat because they end up killing so many of the likeable characters and big named stars in battle. Harder to get a more liked actor than Tom Hanks but they still had the testicular fortitude to kill off his character.

If you are going to make your bad guys into something really big and really bad you've got to have the courage to kill off someone important, likeable, and not bring them back from the dead. Imagine the emotional impact if someone like Lennox had gotten killed after seeming like one of those characters they didn't dare to kill off.

When it starts feeling like characters are safe because the film makers would dare to kill them the bad guys are going to feel weak because have no chance.

15. Chromia217

Chromia217 I luv Mark Hamill

No thanks

16. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Well, in DOTM's defense, they did kill off Wheelie, Brains, Que, and Ironhide.

I think in DOTM, they had more of the right idea in how these movies should work. But, they had wasted a whole movie (ROTF) being lost and not knowing where to take the story (which I still blame that damned Writers' Strike for).

I only wish Ehren Kruger had taken over sooner. Obviously, he knew what to do. In his treatment of the second movie:

-Starscream betrays Megatron, creating his own faction and dividing the Decepticons.

-Bumblebee can talk.

-Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus are introduced.

- At movie's end: The Autobots lose, Optimus is clinging to life, Mikaela is seemingly dead, and Megatron and Starscream have a Cybertronian dog-fight in the Grand Canyon which Starscream loses, after which he is then dragged through the streets, made an example of, and then executed by Megatron.

Why this wasn't made into the second Transformers movie, I have no f**king idea...

17. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like Bay, but I want a fresh approach

18. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    This was going to be in ROTF? Why???!!!!WHY they didn't include this in the movie???!!! It would have been way,way better than what we got!!

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    No Bay. Transformers is all about change. Let's change.

20. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

No Bay. Bay not good.