Bay listens

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    The fanbase wanted Shockwave, so he gave him to us. That's a plus in my eye.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    But you don't know how he's going to end up looking or what his role will be.

I'm not denying Mr. Bay is listening, but there's certainly times he just does what he wants..and sometimes I adds in something people would like to see, but then gives it his own twist that kinda destroys the reason people want to see it in the first place :lol 

But yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Shockwave for TF3..hopefully he wll be awesome and get an awesome (Leader) toy!

3. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    We wanted Devastator, and instead we got a slow moving brute, with testicles that didn't include seperate robot for parts..:crazy:  That was not the Dev's I was anticipating.

We did ask for Devastator, but I guess seven robots combining was too much for ILM.

Shockwave should be a pleaser, I have a good feeling about this guy for some reason..

4. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Shockwave can be whatever alt mode, he can be whatever color, I just want Corey Burton to voice him with a TOUCH of synthesizing.

Bay listens to us, but it doesn't mean he does what we want. It's not like we all want the same thing. He listened to us about Starscream's G1 personality, Frank Welker for Soundwave, and Peter Cullen as Prime... just about it. I do appreciate those little things he does for us - they make up most of the time for the other things he screws up with the humor and dumbass extra actors.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay never wanted Welker to voice Megatron. But I know that has always been a 50/50 among the TF fans.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Oh if only Bay would listen when we say things like we'd love a great story filled with great robot characters.

These days I just sort of dread hearing some Decepticon is going to be in the films because I know they are just going to kill them off like poor old Ravage or poor old Devastator. Either that or they will give them a look that just doesn't appeal to me at all like Starscream or Demolishor.

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Only because Welker couldn't perform the part to what the movie staff and Bay were looking for. Its not like the guy had some grudge against Welker before-hand, otherwise he wouldn't have done all the voices he did in ROTF.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    What overt stereotype hasn't been embarrassingly overused for a robot character in the Bay TF films yet? We've already done British Curmudgeon, Ghetto thug, Clint Eastwood, Silent Warrior, Samurai, Lex Luthor...

Oh, shit, I know! Let's get Carlos Mencia to voice Shockwave! He can be the edgy, in-your-face Decepticon that keeps referring to "The Beemers!"

9. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He doesn't listen and he doesn't give a shit, he's just following what the script tells him as usual.

10. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I find it hilarious that people complain about this, when G1 featured a PLEATHORA of overused stereotypes. We had an UFO (alien) voiced like he was mexican (G1 Cosmos), Cowboy southern type (Ironhide) and so on and so forth. Heck some of Prime is inspired by John Wayne.

For the record, if the were to do Cosmos in TF3, I would love for Carlos Mencia to voice him, just to see if people would lob as many complaints about Cosmos as they did about the Twins.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm sure Bay has his ways -- via the Internet -- of finding out what the fans are saying, but I doubt that he will do every single thing to please them all.

At this point, I'm half-expecting that he won't listen to us fans who want Barricade to come back for TF3.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    He listens, but be careful what you wish for.

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It's "Plethora." No A.

...also, I think complaints about the overt stereotypes are entirely grounded. The plop-an-accent-on-a-character treatment was easy and convenient for writers cranking out a half-hour TV show that got 3-4 new characters dropped in per week (averaging here.) You're running out of narrative space, you have to write for kids and you have to introduce 20 new dudes? It's kinda understandable that a writer would shrug and go "Fuck it, I'm getting paid anyway. The little UFO guy is from Mexio. Done. Moving on."

...but the movies are a FAAAR departure from the old cartoon show. In the course of the first film, we're given JUUUUST enough characterization/backstory for the Autobots that we can barely accept (within the context of the narrative) their accents and personas.

THEN, we get a sequel! The writers are handed seven or so good robots that need enough dialogue to make them interesting. We KNOW Orci & Kurtzman - professional, recognized writers that have churned out riveting sci-fi - can write for ensemble casts and keep the characters interesting, EVEN IF THEY ONLY HAVE ONE OR TWO SHINING MOMENTS - Star Trek, Lost, Alias, etc. are all proof of this. What do we get? Horribly static, out-of-the-box stereotypes with no real development or focus. The autobots become poorly characterized window dressing on an otherwise banal narrative that follows (and focuses on) Sam. Despite eloquently handling Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu, Chekov, etc. and spicing their characters up with enough dialogue to hint at strengths, weaknesses, emotions, etc. in THAT SAME YEAR, the writers for ROTF put up a dartboard with bad stereotypes on it and threw name darts at it.

For a professional, major motion picture release gunning for a PG-13 rating (thereby ostensibly choosing its demographic as ages 13-up), that's really, really sloppy writing and inexcusable. For comparison, look at Cars, or Star Trek (as mentioned before), or Inglorious Basterds, or Avatar, or Kung-Fu Panda...some of these are written for even younger audiences, and yet, although all these stories have one (or several) main characters, they give the ensemble cast enough screentime to get played out as interesting enough to deserve attention. ROTF just gives up.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  14. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay DOES listen. Its just that there are sooo many of us that he can't please everyone. What one likes, the other does not, and vice versa

15. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the spelling lesson you dick. :D 

Moving right along this is where we differ. I don't really think Orci and Kurtzman wrote Star Trek much different than TF, just that they obviously rushed some of it with the Strike etc etc, and probably felt alot more pressure to do well with Star Trek. I think the actors (humans) were cast exceptionally well in Star Trek, and they did a great job amping a rather lackluster script. They wrote a standard dad issue, time travel anomaly, bad guy out for revenge script. The you have Pine and Quinto pulling great performances, and Leonard Nimoy just makes it work even more.

In the end, as long as the CGI is amazing Transformers will get bailed out by that. Transformers has almost always featured stereotyped characters, guys like Rattrap etc etc. What's wrong with being a stereotype? I mean seriously aside from Skids, Mudflap and Jetfire, I see the only real stereotypes in the movie as being in the characters accents. Just cause I sound one way doesn't really tell who I am. Like Kup wasn't a stereotypically old military guy in G1.

Why change tradition? They could have done more, but the amount of people that REALLY care about full on characterization are much smaller in number than the people that wanna see badass action and explosions. Maybe with a reboot and a new director... but these guys didn't even manage to nail Starscream, and he's so easy to write, they could've added one or two lines and got him down. So I'm cool with having a guy sound like he's from somewhere... or would you prefer they all sound like standard Americans with distinctive voices?

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He can't, but all things considered, I think he does pretty well giving fans certain things they want.

Hell, he did get Welker as Soundwave, and he sounded friggin' awesome.

17. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know that was the reason Bay did'nt want to use Welker for the voice. I remember hearing Bay talking about that.

What I meant was that I believe and some may disagree that Bay is not listen to the fans on everything.

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

True.

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Because it isn't possible. The fan base all wants different things. Look, I love Frank's work to death but I'm glad he wasn't cast as Megs in the films. Other fans would much rather have him up there, despite the fact that he can't pull off that voice anymore. The voice of Megs just being one example, there's no way Bay could "listen to the fans" even if he wanted to, we're too dissimilar from each other.

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, OF COURSE HE WAS A SLOW MOVING BRUTE, IT IS 7 HEAVY CONSTRUCTION VEHICLES PUT TOGETHER, THAT IS A LOT OF WEIGHT....now the balls were just a joke, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GAWD, WHO IN THE HELL SAID HIS CHARACTER DIDN'T HAVE INDIVIDUAL ROBOT MODES, THE TOY JUST DIDN'T HAVE THEM

use logic, that is what devastator, minus the balls, would of been like if he was real, it follows the laws of physics, that is why the HUGE FALL KILLED HIM