Bay and HoF dinner

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by motorhead9999, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    How many people clapped him when he stepped down? The same or less? I can see some people welcome clapping him to be polite but is it less polite to not clap as he steps down? You've acknowledged him once. Does it need a second round at the end too? If you're not fond of Bay and his contribution to TF but still generally polite how many clap moments would you give him? I'd probably clap a little at the end too but I'm just curious about others.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

It´s still disrespectful.

I wonder how this fandom would have reacted if no one clapped during the G1 Hall of Fame inductees.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Im actually kind of surprised there were no boos, though that would have been truly insulting. At least the fandom is better than that, I guess?

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Granted not clapping for a fictional charatcer isn't quite as big a deal, but if no one clapped during the real-world inductees (such as Cullen) that'd be pretty fucking disrespectful, too.

5. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:

6. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Blah blah, conjecture, to justify hyperbole, to justify outrage against people you disagree with.

Oh please. If I was there the last thing I'd be getting my panties in a knot over would be who else is or is not clapping. That's such a concern.

And if you want to get technical, no actually, the President's job isn't public speaking; that's something he does of his own volition, just like Bay. He chose to give a speech, he got applause and recognition from his fans and not from his detractors. Ringadingding. Big deal. Just as Bay was under no obligation to attend, regular joes had no obligation to applaud.

And we keep throwing out the word disgraceful ("shockingly unacceptable"); it's not shocking, and it's not unacceptable. Honestly, this is a big deal only if you want to start a sycophantic outrage.

Really? When did *that* become the point? Now it's about disrespecting the organizers? Keep pulling bad arguments out of you know where dude. -_-

I doubt anyone would have given a shit.

7. General Magnus

No I meant with people here saying that was ok not to clap. I wonder if they would say the same thing if this was a G1 inductee. Ya know double standards and all that.

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Coming up with worse stuff to do at a speech definitely makes it all right. Oh no wait, it doesn't.

I AM glad nobody was stupid enough to try any of those things, but that still doesn't mean this wasn't silly.

Also, if you are 'protesting' just because you don't like the guy's work or his introduction into the Hall of Fame, then you're pretty childish, in my opinion.

scubaboy31 gets it: be the better man. If you feel Michael Bay's work is horrible and doesn't deserve to be, at least show that you, yourself, are better.

I just hope the amount of people was small enough not to turn the event awkward.

edit:
    How DARE you compare Bay to GODS?!! :) lol)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    :rolleyes2 

Condescending, nicely done. I'm not getting my "panties in a knot" I'm discussing a subject that was brought up. If anyone's getting rilled up it's you, having to resort to a condescending tone.

No obligation, no. You are correct there.

However it was still petty and disrespectful. It's common courtesy.

"Shocking" no, "unacceptable" entirely. it's just rude, dude. You clap for people, it's called not being a jerk.

Keep totally avoiding my points, dude. -_-
    Exactly. We're just discussing wether or not it's acceptable.

Oh, yeah, they totally would.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

While I agree that Split Up is exaggerating a bit, The certainly deserves credit.

Bay is a blockbuster director, he probably doesn't give a damn either, but that was STILL pretty disrespectful.

Sure, they all [both Bay and the people there] had no obligations, but it's disrespectful [I've been throwing that word a lot, haven't I?] NOT to.

If Bay had just not attended to Botcon, people would burn him at stake for disrespecting the franchise so much and being a douchebag, now when the exact opposite happened, the fandom gets a free-pass.

Lack of respect is lack of respect, always something to not be proud of.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The fact that there are members here that actually think that was perfectly fine for them to do is just....wow.....

How'd you feel if you were getting an award and people didn't atleast give you a quick round of applause while you approach the podium? You'd probably feel pretty awkward. That's not the kind of feeling you should be getting.

It's not about whether you like Bay or not, it's proper effing manners. Get that through you heads.

12. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess I still don't understand why everybody complains about the Bayverse. I mean, no, these movies have not been Shakespearian works of art, or The Dark Knight. Even at its worse, RotF was an enjoyable flick.

Just think. All the films could have been worse. Far Far worse. People should just look at adaptations like GI Joe, Green Lantern (at least how its looking so far) or Jonah Hex and see how bad things could have been.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. Not clapping lends insult to:

The people who held the botcon that invited Bay. You come to their house and insult their guest? asses.

Hasbro who make the toys many love.

IF he killed someone, was accused of war crimes with strong evidence or even insulted people out right to their face then yeah I could see it (please don't be that moron who says the movies were an insult, you had a choice). Otherwise it's just an immature inaction that proves nothing but how many dimwits, who just don't get it, that are in this fandom.

14. General Magnus

Dunno. Pretty sure people here would be saying "How dare you NOT to clap" if this was another person than Bay. Hypocrisy is common in this fandom.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I both like and dislike Bay for many reasons. Love him because of the first transformers movie and hate him for ROTF.

I agree with you guys, it's wrong that nobody really wanted to clap for Bay. Honestly Bayformers changed transformers like how Beast Wars changed Transformers. Finiancually Hasbro is pleased with how Bay turned out with his trilogy, he had some good ideas and great CGI for the franchise.

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

The weird thing is the people who moan about bayverse are (this excludes people who watched the first in earnest and didn't like it or people who don't vocally hate the movies but know it's not for them)

A) constantly seeing every movie thus showing an act of failed Darwinism (avoid things bad for you)

or

B) Speculators who won't bother watching the movies because they are by Bay or aren't real "Transformers" they know.

17. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    I'm sure if this was Frank Welker or David Kaye we'd be massive amounts of fanrage.

But it's Michael Bay, so of course it's perfectly ok. Y'know, cause we all hate him!

18. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Yeah exactly.

And it all comes full circle.

No, it's not. It's common courtesy if you think everyone has to think alike and accept a standard of directing, or if you think everyone has to like a speech. If you don't like a speech you don't clap for it. There's no courtesy in being fake or dishonest. There's plenty of courtesy in grinning and bearing it without causing a scene. The nice thing done was not booing his ass and just being civil by standing idle. There's no "common courtesy" here because when it comes to a speech there's no such thing. Go watch a state of the union address and watch half of Congress clap and the other half not. You don't get to set some standard for common courtesy for a speech if there never has been one.

Then by definition it's not disgraceful. And no, it's not unacceptable or rude, because again you have no obligation to clap for those you disagree with. It's not being a jerk, it's being firm. Deal with it.

I addressed every point you made. Try again.

This presumption of guilt is overblown I think. I know I wouldn't give a damn is someone else decided not to clap. Maybe I'm just an asshole (very possible), it's not a big fucking deal at all.

19. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Ugh....again.....it should have nothing to do with Bay himself. It's common and polite to applaud for someone when they go up to give a speech, recieve an award, etc.

They do it in schools, they do it in politics, they do it at the Oscars, they even do it at the Razzies, which glorifies terrible movies.

Saying that it's not a common coutesy is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I should've just said this and left it at that.

So I will! :-D