bay and ensemble casting/acting

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by KA, Jul 31, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was watching con air the other day and it occured to me, hey, this is actually pretty good popcorn fodder. and considering armageddon and con air comprise 2/3rd of what were previously bays biggest hits (the exception being bad boys) bay has actually relied quite a bid on ensemble acting.

i think the TF movie has benefited from this angle with guys like turturro, voight, bernie mac et al, who provided support to shia and megan and the CG characters, albeit nowhere near the stellar casting of the aforementioned movies, what say you?

2. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Michael Bay had nothing to do with Con Air. Why is this such an often-repeated misconception? :inquisiti 

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    doh. sorry, my bad.

consider this thread FAIL.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Rock is the greatest MB film evah. Better than Transformers even with Nicholas "Whoa" Cage.

Disclaimer: This is, of course, only an opinion. Seriously, simmah down.

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Your point is still valid in regards to Armageddon. I agree the cast made that movie entertaining, along with some awesome effects. But the reason I can watch it many times is the characters in it, Willis, Buscemi, Wilson, Clarke-Duncan and even Billy Bob make it an entertaining movie.

edit-OOOH AND THAT RUSSIAN GUY!

The Rock is a pretty good movie...
    "How in the name of Zeus'..BUTTHOLE!! Did you get out of your cell?"

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the rock doesnt count. it had connery, who makes the most insipid film respectable.

with the exception of the avengers and that movie with zeta jones in a catsuit.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I didn't like Armeggeddon. But I found Sleep Impact far less interesting.

8. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Actually, CON AIR is very 'Bay-like', and I can imagine director Simon West being influenced by the then recent THE ROCK.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i chkd imdb and was like 'dude who did tomb raider/generals daughter did con air, bwaaaaa???!!!!!'

10. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Michael Bay certainly isn't horrible when it comes to choosing who he'll use in his movies. The Rock (1996), Armageddon (1998), and Transformers (2007) are more or less proof of that. However, he does tend to hit and miss. I never liked either Bad Boys films, to me they lacked the intelligence that the aformentioned films above had on a very serious level. I mean really. Plus, Martain Larwance and Will Smith were never my favorite actors. Despite the moola Pearl Harbor managed to make, I thought Bay had the wrong group of actors in the film (minus Cuba Gooding Jr.). Josh Hartnett might be able to do a movie like this in the now-present time, but back in '01, his acting chops (hehhe) were less than stellar.

Kate Beckensale was there for eye-candy, she's not that great an actress. And finally, Ben Afleck, I never thought he was right choice for that film to begin with. He never struck me as a talented actor and never seems convincing beyond the 'jerk' roles he's played in the past (the kind where you wanna shove him off a cliff). That and the potty-mouthed best friend in Good Will Hunting. With that said, the bombing of Pearl Harbor was the best scene in that entire movie.

As for The Island: The plot was silly, but workable given its science-fiction roots, the cast was a hit and miss as well, and the best sequence in the film was the highway chase and flying motorcycle. After that it just got boring (zzzz).

11. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The Rock was fun enough, but I couldn’t make it to the end of Armageddon. That movie is el stink-o.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Entrapment was awesome. Not as awesome as The Rock, but awesome indeed.

13. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    The reason why you mistook Con Air as a Bay movie is because it is Jerry Bruckheimer production. Almost all Bruckheimer films have the same style. They are very visual and most have a casting of misfits (Con Air, Gone in 60 Seconds, Armageddon). And they are very fast paced and loaded with testosterone........everything I enjoy about a mindless action flick.

I love Transformers but I still have to say that The Rock is Michael Bay's best film.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you know what would be funny?

going over to bays forum and posting ZOMG MR BAY MY FAVE MOVIE U DID WUZ CON AIR LOL

15. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:

Heh, you'd probably get a reply like "Dude, Michael Bay didn't Direct Con Air! That was that other guy." and the rest the posts would either mirror this reply or point out other movies Michael Bay didn't or did direct (which is a total of seven so far, so that isn't much).

Do you know he's directing a third Bad Boys film (Entitled Bad Boys III, currently)? I'm asking myself "Why, man?" Wasn't Two enough?

16. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Many of us echo that remark after Rush Hour 2... Although 3 looks funny as all hell.

I hated bad boys 2. 1 was fun. Hopefully 3 will make up for the lack of fun in 2.

Back on topic. I agree, although I could have done without some of the wtf comments from turturro. He and Frenzy I swear deliberately were overacting.