Batwoman is...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primal, May 28, 2006.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Source: Newsarama

2. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    For some reason I see this ending badly.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was hoping for Barbara coming back, or maybe Montoya taking the mantle...this Kathy Kane sounds lame. Costume is nice though.

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Can't wait for this.

PS Nothing can be as bad as the new Blue Beetle, except maybe “the Great Ten”.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can see this ending badly too...Kathy Kane...no offence to anyone but in this time and age, I have better expectations in terms of choosing names for new heros and heroines.

6. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Hell glad Barbara didn't come back. Then you'd have to do a tale yet again of somebody getting payback on the Joker. C'mon I don't want to see him having to commit suicide cause his greatest moments have turned sour.

(the idea of her walking again still ticks me off a little)

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'm torn. About the gay thing. Not that I see anything wrong with it per se. I just... eh I dunno. Good to see a character come back, even in a different form, but eh... something is sticking in my throat.

8. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    Is it how they seem to be forcing gay or multi cultural characters, not because they're organic to any story, but just for the sake of having gay and multi cultural characters?

9. McBradders

You know, in Young Avengers, it works really well because they alude to it, but this... "SHE R GAY!" is a really poorly advised attempt to grab readers.

10. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    :lol  Not just gay but a "buxom lipstick lesbian". They should let Hustler in on this, maybe even do some of the promoting, not the NYT.

11. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Exactly. It gives so much more to a character that way. I hate when they give any character a mentality that its like "I'm gay, deal with it!, I'm black! deal with it!" Billy and Teddy are done so well that they trascend labels and thats the way it should be. Whenever you make a big deal about a character being gay or anything it just consumes that character so that all they'll ever be is 'oh that gay one'.

I think this Batwoman would have been better if they didn't bother taking a peice out in a newspaper just to state she kisses girls.

12. McBradders

She kisses girls?

HOT DAMN! Sold!

:rolleyes2 

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

At least Batman Beyond is getting his props.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    They didn't. This is just a regular newspaper article that has nothing to do with promoting any of DC or Marvel's books. A lot of minority characters are popping up recently and someone decided to write about it.

Me? I'm all for this. As someone who really enjoys some Silver Age silliness, it's nice to see Kathy Kane back. And the lesbian thing means that this time she won't just be around to draw attention away from the fact that Batman spends a lot of time running around with a teenage boy who doesn't wear pants. :p 

Mind you, if they turn Bettie Kane back into Batgirl and give her an updated version of her old costume, I will never read any Bat comic ever again.

The new Blue Beetle is awesome. One of the most enjoyable new titles I've read this year.

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It depends on how they play it, if every issue has romantic melodrama revolving around her being a lesbian it will flop. If they play it like most every other super hero where it’s about the heroing and her relationships are a minor part of things it could be ok. Other wise ifs just going to be soft core les action for teen age boys.

16. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I guess my problem is them using comics to push an agenda. It's like someone threw a switch and decided it's time to have every PC stereotype thrown in again. You want Gay superheroes fine, it's been done before, just be careful patting yourself on the back for it, you might hurt your hand.
    <o></o>
    I guess my point is create comic characters (If they are needed) based on creativity and how the story flows instead of trying to use them as a “Message”. I have noticed that when things are forced and contrived they tend to get rejected out of hand, regardless of the merits .

17. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

My thoughts as well.

I'm neither excited nor disappointed in the announcement. I was interested for the sake of 52 but that's about it.

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we have a new entry in the "Dumbest Superpower Ever" contest. However, wouldn't that ability violate China's one-child-only policy?

Anyway, as far as Batwoman...depends how it's written. If the character is presented as a realistic person who just happens to be gay, I see no problem with that (if nothing else, it'll be one female member of the Batfamily who won't end up sleeping with Nightwing). But if the whole series is just pushing an agenda or resorting to constant gay stereotypes in place of character, it'll probably be terrible, get cancelled and leave Kane's future limited to a role as 'girlfriend-in-the-refrigerator syndrome' victim. On the plus side, the costume design is quite nice.

If DC published it, I would totally read that comic.

19. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
  20. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Here's what Dan Didio had to say!
    Source: Newsarama