Heavy/Scratch: Battletrap wip head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Trikeboy, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

Battle head - on sale now

hi all, I'm revisiting an abandoned custom I was making, the Duocons. I needed a head for them obviously but couldn't find anything I liked so I turned to making my own and shapeways. I have finished doing a mesh for Battletrap and would like opinions on him. I have taken a leaf out of fakebuster83's book and gave it a seperate eye piece for light piping should you want that. Sizewise, it will be going on Scout sized toys. Please comment and critique my very first Transformer head mesh.

Update: I recieved the head but I noticed the pegs in the light piping were far too thin and snapped right off. I have redesigned the peg making it larger and thicker. I also made the details on the sides of the head bigger as they were very hard to see on the previous model. I added pics of the actual product below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow! That is a cool looking head design! Let us know when it goes up on Shapeways, I'll snatch one up ^_^

3. Trikeboy

4. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks!!
    And once again, must say it looks grand ^_^

5. Trikeboy

Thanks, I'll be starting on Flywheels' head next while I wait for this to arrive. I'll let you know when it is available to buy.

6. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh no...I didn't write no book. Light piping has been done by Hasbro for years but thanks for the call out.

A few things. You might want to add a bit of gap between the piping and head for tolerance issues. It makes the pipe easier to slide in.

Also, you might want to consider extending the rear half of the pipe all the way to the top of the head. Currently the area of the head above the pipe's rear half looks very thin. You might as well let the pipe take up that volume instead. It also lends a bit of 'catch' should you need to pry the pipe out. Your current design seems to render it impossible to remove the pipe (unless you use a toothpick or fingernail to push it out from the front.)

7. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    yo bro ... this goes into another part of the forum until you got the sample pics ;) 

but looks good man! :D 

8. Trikeboy

Thanks for the advice. I made it slightly smaller so that should help clearance issues. I also made the piping larger too. What you said made sense.

[​IMG]

apologies, can a mod please move this.

9. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I don't think you need those two little prongs at the top. it's secure all the way around it, and it has that slide/notch at the bottom. Those prongs will make it harder to make things fit later on. I think that would solve the locking issue that fakebuster mentioned (along with the bigger gap). But I don't think having to use a small thing to push out the eyes is that big of a deal.

10. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Looks really promising & you've captured the Look he has in the Japanese Headmasters toon!
    Out of interest what are you going to be using for the bodies?

11. Trikeboy

updated first post with new pics

12. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

who's Battletrap

13. Trikeboy

[​IMG]

It's not surprising you havent heard of him, he didn't appear in the American G1 run, he was in the Japanese series Headmasters and the toy, while having a fun gimmick, wasn't the best. He is one of two Duocons, the other being Flywheels.