Battlestar Galactica Changes the UN Charter

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by realCliffjumper, Jul 28, 2009.

1. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I was watching Attack of the Show yesterday and Edward James Olmos from Battlestar Galactica was on.

Battlestar Galactica Changes the UN Charter - G4tv.com

I didn't know this but the cast and stuff from Battlestar Galactica was invited to speak at the UN because of the content of thier show. Well, at one point, the head of the UN used the word "race" as a "cultural determinant" and Edward James Olmos ate him alive for it. So the UN, three weeks ago, changed their Charter (Constitution) so that the word "race" only had one meaning: the human race. The Charter now outlines that there is only one race, the human race. A brillaint step forward in the realm of human rights, and Olmos himself has stated that he hopes that even people outside the UN will start using the word "race" only in reference to the "human race" as a whole.

With the link is a more elequent story plus a video of the interveiw with Olmos where he says these things. IT IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

EDITING WITH VIDEOS

YouTube - Battlestar Galactica at the U.N.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08VCkyG_C2s

2. Reaper2006

Reaper2006 Elite Sniper

Find the video of them at the un dude!!! Find it fast!!!!

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    awesome and as Rodimus prime put it so well "til all are one! "

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

See, this is my main beef with NBC/Universal/SyFy and the promotion of Battlestar Galactica. Their marketing department should have been all over this development, just like they should have been all over their Peabody award win a couple of years ago. If it were me, since marketing is my thing, there would have been press releases out all over the place promoting these sorts of things. I knew BSG was invited to speak at the UN but had no idea that Edward James Olmos called them out and got them to change their FREAKING CHARTER!! That's newsworthy, people!! I saw Eddie on AOTS yesterday and absolutely loved his enthusiasm for BSG. That guy gets it. And he got the UN to chant "SO SAY WE ALL!" The guy is awesome.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This is cool on so many levels.
    There is the awesomeness of Olmos having the audacity to say "So say we all" and then the UN actually doing it.
    Then there is the change in the language at the UN which is just another kind of cool.

We are not genetically diverse enough to be considered different "races" anyway.
    The whole notion was never based on science.

6. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I'm all for inclusionary language, but this is also going to cause redifinitions of how the UN determines terms like "genocide" and actions like that. By defining "race" as the "human race", how are they going to differentiate between different ethno-cultural groups to apply the label of "genocide" to so many of the actions that happen, like in African countries? It took long enough as it was, even when they had consistent language?

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

To be fair he did go on to explain in more detail in the second video about that whole situation. It's culture vs culture, not race vs race. Genocide can certainly be applied to that.

8. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Good point. Couldn't watch the vids at work.

9. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'll admit it...

If Edward James Olmos came up to me and started with "So say we all" I'd repeat it. Then have to change my pants.

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Oh wow. I never really watched the show, but regardless, that's simply amazing. You can bet I'll be watching it now whenever my roommate gets the DVDs.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Nice to see something good actually came out of that show.

But the original version was still way better.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

No.

Nononononononononono.

13. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seconded.

14. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

That speech makes me want to watch Stand and Deliver again....

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Another amazing aspect (for me) is that Olmos presented his feelings on the matter without coming across like a complete ass.
    Normally when a celebrity starts giving their views on a topic I completely tune out. I just don't care what any actor thinks about anything other than the entertainment projects they're associated with.

But Olmos was presenting his thoughts on the matter to the UN (the UN!) and I totally bought it.

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The original show was a fun, if slightly cheesy, outer space adventure story with a decent cast and cool mythology. It was Star Wars the television series.

The new show was a bottomless pit of angst, darkness, and "zomg r u a Cylon?" I quit watching it when Boomer was thrown into prison and almost raped. It was just too bleak and depressing for me.

17. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

But I leik bleek and dreprzzing....

18. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Well, we're talking about the near elimination of the entire human race. That's a pretty bleak and depressing scenario.

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Never mind the scenario, the fact that it’s about humans is why it’s like that. If our species didn't suck so much, shows that set out to depict or parallel the bad stuff that we do in real life wouldn’t be so unpalatable for softer viewers.

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

This became my problem with it. I watched until a few episodes after they got the people off of New Caprica. Somewhere around that time, I realized that I didn't actually care about any of the characters, and wasn't interested in continuing to watch them not get along.

My favorite character was Tigh, and that was only for the short span between when he crawled out of the bottle, and when his wife showed up. After that, he climbed back in the bottle, and turned back into a bitter old jack ass. Admittedly, being married to Ellen Tigh, would probably have a similar effect on me.