Battleship

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Fez Findie, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Ya, was surprisingly good.

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    What is wrong with you? I was almost deaf after that... Thing. I didn't know which brother it was when the actual movie started.

3. Fez Findie

Well the low-expectations bum eventually turned in charge of what remains of the fleet inside the dome due to circumstances was rather entertaining in itself and it was holdin' up nicely on the other front too, with an arc around the crippled veteran and the guy's girlfriend also endin' up havin' to go and do what they can about the situation they're caught into.

And of course, the general sincere vibe of showin' rather evenish conflict rather than curb stompin' and endin' up frustratin' how nothing the characters do makes that much difference. In contrast to 2012 that I just saw... eh. Still, kinda reminded me of Star Blazers/Battleship Yamato and which was partially why I was interested in this movie.

Damn, its late over here, need sleep.

However, I'm just sayin' its better than you'd expect but ain't gonna be pushin' it on ya. My RL friend does that too often. Almost on this one too.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

it is only good for Rifftrax fuel i am sure :lol 

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Glad to hear it, and glad you got to see it already, but saw the show schedule and everybody gets to see it b4 the USA, what the heck?? :sly: 

Just seems strange, they could go ahead and release it here. big deal.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Awful, awful, AWFUL film! I can enjoy pretty much any old sci-fi crap you can think of but that was just atrocious.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna go see it with anything less than five ales under my belt beforehand.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Why was it so awful??, if you don't mind explaining.

The special effects look great, in the clips, so I just wondered? No story??

9. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So if you had to compare it to a Transformers movie, which out of the three movies would it be?

10. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks abysmal to me

11. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I am going to wait for the DVD release but I have to ask: at any point of the movie the phrase "You have sank my battleship" or one similar is used? ^^'

12. Fez Findie

How did ya use spoiler tags in here again?

That is, if you watch the movie. I don't really intend to say more 'cos at least I hate it when I am bein' shoved with somethin' up my arse with a recommendation. Granted, my rl friend wasn't really doin' that with this one but he has this annoying general tendency of doin' so with a lotta recommendations he does and may even end up ruinin' the experience for me. May just be me, but anyways.

13. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never liked my eardrums anyway. Going to the midnight show when this opens in the states. :) 

14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I will but in this case I dont mind spoilers. ^^

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Special effects are actually very poor. CGI is very fuzzy in places and is sometimes so bad it actually takes you out of the film. I would try and avoid any spoilers, but there is so little story as to be virtually non-existent. The ONLY good part of the film is the first 5 minutes when Taylor Kitsch's character is trying to obtain a chicken burrito. You can probably find a clip of it somewhere online, it's fairly amusing. After that, the characterisation of everyone involved just becomes wafer thin and the plot becomes 'all humans are awesome and heroic'.
    Even what amounts to little more than a cameo from Liam Neeson can't inject any class into the proceedings. By the time they're firing back and forth (literally taking it in turns) to fire on the enemy ships's location represented on a grid, shouting "hit" or "miss" then you know it's time to call it a day.

I mean, one of the characters is a double amputee who thinks that his life no longer has meaning. See if you can guess what happens to him in the end. There is a tall, blonde, big-boobed bimbo character who is teamed up with him. That woman cannot act for SHIT! The aliens look like crap and have a stupid stupid STUPID weakness.

The ending
    is a bunch of 80 year old guys becoming the crew of an 80 year old battleship going to fight the aliens. At one point they do a handbrake turn in the friggin Battleship after the line "you ain't never gonna sink this battleship!"
    I cringed so hard I nearly broke my spine.

If you pay money to go and see it, especially sober, then don't say I didn't warn you.
    And don't anyone try and claim this is a tongue in cheek film poking fun at the genre, it's not. They are trying really hard to be serious and awesome here.
    And my how they failed...

16. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    Sounds like the asylum quality... oh dear.

I was looking forward to seeing how they'd pull off monopoly.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Was hoping it would be a cheesy expensive B flick not to be taken seriously.

18. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

it was a very entertaining film, the action was for me overkill. But the aliens are just souless, there is no character or depth to them. And the human characters were at times useless, the action did outweigh the human element. Which we must have had over 1 hour and 30 mins of action. The good thing was? it was like ROTF but without the rude humour, which is a good thing

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think the biggest problem here is that they needed the Navy/Military buy-in and support for the project and in doing so, had to compromise on too many levels - there is no internal conflict amongst the humans whatsoever, unless you count Kitsch's and Neesons 'banter' about the former marrying the latter's daughter. The whole issue of being best buds with the Japanese now is just hammered home repeatedly in the most non-subtle way possible.

There was NOTHING in this film that was original. Listen, I enjoyed Lost in Space and Wild Wild West, but even this was too shit for me.

20. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    Glad I saw this thread. My wallet just got up and started crying tears of joy.