Minor/Repaint: Battlechargers, HOOOO~~~

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Taiki, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

I like things that come in sets. More specifically, in pairs. Hence my liking for the Lambo twins in G1, and the Battlechargers, even though they only appeared... like... twice?... in the cartoon?...
    When TF Prime Wheeljack came out, the first thing that came to mind was that he looked a lot more like Runabout and Runamuck than the Generations Wheeljack mold [to me, at least...], so I figured I'd give customing them a shot.
    Runamuck didn't turn out as well as I wanted... need to work with matt white sprays more... but I kinda like how Runabout turned out. XD
    and for some funny reason, Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow come to mind... /facepalm

Attached Files:

2. shatteredirony

shatteredirony Tech Guy

Pretty cool idea and the white came out better than you think

3. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

thanx. :) 
    Won't take credit for the idea though... think someone else posted a similar idea with the colors for the current TCC 2012 Botcon exclusives on this mold... decided to go for the original G1 colors though, since I kinda prefer them simple...
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/553193-prime-runamuck-runabout.html

4. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In fairness it's white on white.. If you lightly sand the stripes down and and then paint the white shouldn't be too big of an issue. Also a good white primer can kill any bleed through too.

that being said I have seen someone else in radicons do this and really find myself wanting my own set. This concept is something I really want to do for myself also. The only thing I would do (if I were you) is modify their eyes.
    They look really lifeless.. some red paitn on the eyes could make a world of difference!

Also, where did the guns come from?

5. edbomber

edbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow this is awesome! I thought of snake eyes / storm shadow when i first saw this! great work

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I quite like these. :) 

Question from someone else who has painted that figure. Are you having rubbing problems where the front wheel wells connect with the doors?

7. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

I tried spraying directly on, actually, but no go. Bleeds off really bad. Had to primer rather heavily and coat it a couple of times before it came out this way... then again, it was GRAY primer I was using since I couldn't find any white primer, so that's probably just adding to the problem... /headdesk...

The eyes actually still have working light piping, lolz, but yeah... I think they look a little flat as well. Might try painting them...

Guns were from deluxe DOTM Topspin. Him and Leadfoot make for excellent gun supplies. XD

Thanx man. ;) 

8. Cheetimus Prime

Cheetimus Prime Lost Spark

I just brushed it on.
    Also try washing your figures with dish soap to get the mold release off. After that any paint will stick right now.

9. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Thanx. :) 

Thanx.

And yes. quite a fair bit. I'm trying to get around that by layering a gloss topcoat spray, and it works pretty well for Runabout, but for Runamuck, I might need to put another layer or two...

10. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

really? cool. Shall give that a go next time. :) 
    The plastic on this guy worries me a bit though?... I tried using markers on him before, and the solvent ate right through the plastic... his chest bit crumbled to dust in my hands which had me headdesking quite a bit...
    Any tips on keeping an even textures when brushing though?... I was aiming for a nice smooth finish with minimal brushmarks... any recs for what kinda paint or brushes which would do that?...

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Considering Wheeljack is already white, was there really any reason to paint it? Just remove the paint apps with alcohol, and viola! You have Runamuck.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been considering of sanding the door down a little to see if that helps. I haven't done it yet though...

13. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Not bad! Not bad at all.

14. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

They look fantastic.

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Hah! You're doing the gold trim on the doors the same as me on Runamuck! :D  I think you did a great job with both of these. And I agree--you're white came out quite nice. Runabout is badass--I like the muted red on him.

Man, I think we're going to be seeing a few of these. Which should be cool! :) 

16. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Considered doing that, but his chest, forearms and legs have a fair amount of grey, olive and black plastic, and I was sorta going for a uniform white color like his official drawings used to have, so... figured painting everything over would give a better effect.
    Or so I thought... /facepalm...
    Knew I shoulda stripped off the original paint apps before priming him instead of being a lazy ass and just going straight over...

Hmmm. Come to think of it, it might, actually?... tell me how it goes if you try it? I might do the same. XD

Thanx guys. :) 

Thanx. :) 
    Heh, you too eh? was trying to figure out how to replicate the gold trim and still make it look sleek, and this was the best I could manage... wasn't a big fan of painting more than half of him gold...
    The TCC Botcon exclusive have sorta inspired us to do our own, I figure? XD but I somehow like the look of TFP Wheeljack as Runabout and Runamuck rather than the Generations/United one... who always struck me as a tad too... puny?... even though we can transform em to look more like the original toys...
    Then again, TFP Jack's sunken head and neck assembly fits the look already anyway. XD
    Can't wait to see how others do em. Definitely a cool thing. XD

17. Cheetimus Prime

Use super thinned acrylics and a flat brush. hen done right you can get a perfect finish. I recently used some VERY thin gloss red on Clifjumper and it looks like a factory finish.

I never use markers and what happened to you is one of many reasons why.

18. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

/shudder. A rather rude shock, that was. First time I've seen it happen. And also the first time I shrieked at that high a pitch. >____=
    Shall give the acrylics and flat brush a go. Thanx. XD
    How's your experience with enamels, though? Do they give a good finish?

19. Cheetimus Prime

Enamels are a bit more difficult as thinning them is not as easy. I say experiment on some scrap first to get your bearings with it.

20. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanx man. :)