Battle Ops Bumblebee Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by Dran0n, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Seeker24

Seeker24 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It looks pretty damn cool... now am I gonna buy it?not sure... Way better than i expected though..

2. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

I actually hope this is a shelfwarmer because I really want it. I think it looks great and scale be damned!

3. RAVAGE-_-EJECT!

RAVAGE-_-EJECT! Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great job Frenzy. I still have your Supreme DEV review in my YouTube favorites. I hope that you make more.

I have just one complaint.....

.....that "Buster Prime" is in YOUR workshop instead of MY collection :) 

4. blackout501st

blackout501st ultimate enforcing hound

well, its defenetly not a main line figure for me. i kind of see this as ultimate bumblebee mark 2. and, it dose alot of things better than the ultimate bumblebee. it looks like a fun toy to show off to friends, or to just play with. just something you could stick on your desk or something. meh, i might get it, might not.

5. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I really like the arm conversion - but the hand looks incredibly lame.

Still a pass for me.

6. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    What, no side-by-side comparison with Ultimate Bumblebee?

It does appear to look alot better than ULTBB but at least ULTBB has better knees lol

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been steadily warming to this thing, and I think this review probably just sold me (although it still bothers me that it will be yet another less than perfect BB).

But yes, that hand is terrible, and of course just like ultimate BB we have a case in which dumb gimmicks restrict poseability. With a hand that ugly I'm inclined to just use the cannon, but it appears only certain poses allow for the cannon with the rest requiring the hand to be out (unless i can find a way to break/disconnect what ever controls the switch).

Then there are the obnoxious sounds and lights (I actually like the idea of lights, it's just never done in a straightforward enough way).

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Great review and now I understand a bit more of this figure. It looks good but I am not sure about it falling down all the time though. I wonder IF the bumblebee can be compared to almost a MP figure or not.

9. Tman978

Tman978 CHILL REVIEWER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Scale?? This is a stand alone fig. for the person who said he should be a supreme, technically, he is. slightly bigger than Leader with lights/sounds
    That cannon arm shoulder is a big let down

10. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet figure overall. Maybe slightly dissappointed it has so many similarities to the HA figure, where they could have gone for even more accuracy.

Not sure if I will pick this up, I'm already drowning in Bumblebee figures :lol  but it's a great toy!

By the way, his eyes light up green because for LEDs, green, red and orange are the cheapest LEDS, and the ones with the longest burn time. I would LOVE for my Autobots to have blue LEDs but I think Hasbro is too afraid these will burn out too soon.

Nobody bought that piece of crap, right?..:lol 

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will probably pick this up. I love all of the gimmicky goodness.

12. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seriously has that stopped us from from buying g1 & animated, classics g1 & animated is completly out of scale but poeple still bought galvatron, prime cliffjumper, hotrod, astrotrain, seekers, & manymore i think its an excuse reason to not buy it either for the price, knee joint problem or both as many comments ive read half collecotres went for accuarcay look while others go for scale

but thats this person statement now ours.

i may or may not pick up now after the video review but the detail looks better on this than battle axe deluxe bumblebee

thanks for the review

13. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Video 1. 03:20, was that a truck horn noise?

14. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I think that was just noise coming from BB.

And yup, (for all who criticize me and others about our pasion for scale) I am seriously hung up on scale. I think overall this is a great figure. But in no way shape or form am I gonna break the bank for a stand alone figure. I can guarantee that the majority would be way more excited if HasTak would've came out with a supreme Blackout rather than supreme BB.

15. Digilaut

News Credits:
    True. If by 'the majority' you mean the hardcore transformers collectors.

Unfortunately, Bumblebee sells to the masses, Blackout..well, I'm not saying he won't sell. But he will no doubt sell much less than Bee. Blackout is a gamble for such a big toy, especially since people are slowly forgetting about his appearance(s) in the movie(s).

This toy makes 110% sense from a business point of view and I'm already happy for all the little kids that will definitely go crazy when they recieve this toy for their upcoming birthdays. :) 

Yeah it does, but if they hadn't gone with a translucent hand, then the LED light from within the cannon wouldn't be able to be seen when shooting. It hurts the look, but enhances the playability for kids.

16. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

I know this is just your opinion, but I don't quite agree. The fact is Ult. BB was a major shelf warmer that in the end had to be sold at rediculously low prices just to get him off the shelves. And that was before the economy went into the crapper. IMO, it would make more sense for H/T to do some more catering to the fans than to the public. Especially since a happy fan usually ='s a purchasing fan. And after reading the majority of the posts on this subject, there are but a handful that sound seriously committed to buying this figure. I just don't see that being good for business.

17. Digilaut

News Credits:
    That's perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions..until I seize global domination, of course, then you'll all go to the slammer for that! :lol 

I think Ultimate Bumblebee was initially double the price of this figure, and it looks like ..pretty crappy. Note that I'm from the Netherlands, it's possible the difference in price might have been smaller elsewhere.
    This figure will supposedly be 10 dollars more expensive than a Leader figure, which means it will be bought less than say, a Deluxe, but will *probably* still be a figure that many people will buy.

A problem right now is that we (collectors), see this as another Bumblebee toy - we already have about 12 of movie Bumblebee, and we don't need a new one that's so insanely out of scale. This is the wrong way to approach this figure. This figure is there mainly to be bought by casual consumers (parents and their kids), who don't already own a Bumblebee toy..or maybe own one or two and think this would be a great toy. And with every year or two, a whole new batch of kids become 5 or 6 years old, meaning new customers for the TF franchise. :) 

As much as we like to think we 'count', we, the collectors (who love Transformers and visit TF websites, and buy a gazillion TF toys for our collections), are but a small blimp on the radar when it comes to TF sales (especially TF movie sales). I believe Hasbro is aldoing alot to cater to us, but it's still a global business.

The 20, 100, 500 people on the internet that say they will not buy this figure? Not important to the sales of this figure at all. It's target demographic is and has always been the little kids, not the collectors, even more so than the 'regular' TF toys - the scale and features of this toy, and the fact it's Bumblebee, prove it. And you know what? Half of the people on the internet that say they will not buy it right now, will eventually buy it anyway. To complete their collection, or because they caved in and wanted a new toy, or because they eventually come to accept it's a great toy.

As for making fans happy...I don't think we have anything to be unhappy about right now. Lots of cool TF toys have been released in the last couple of years in various styles, and it looks like more cool ones are on the way. And we won't stop buying those cool toys just because we get a Supreme Bumblebee instead of a Leader Blackout, will we? That would be a bit silly...plus, we don't want to miss out on the other cool ones!

But don't get me wrong! I too want a Leader Blackout! And I also want a Supreme Animated Omega Supreme! But the thing is, what I want as a fan, and what is commonly smart for a business to do, are two entirely different things, and unfortunately, these two things clash.

The next part is not targeted at you rmac-69, it's more general but I'd like to type it down now:

I find that using logic, and maybe doing some research (and reading the Hasbro Q&A's, very informative!), maybe having some experience in business or having an interest in it, one is often able to find the answers he's looking for, whether it's about why a certain character gets a toy, why a certain mold is used, why a certain scale is used. It helps you to set your expectations: what is logical, what is feasible, for a company.

That's why I often feel the need to smash my head into a wall everytime I read an internet rant about why Hasbro won't release figure X, why figure Y doesn't have individual robot modes, why figure Z doesn't look like he does in the movie, and how Hasbro 'sucks', are 'lazy' or 'should take a cue from FansProject'. :p 

I wouldn't want to work at Hasbro. No matter what you do, people are always complaining. And for some reason, some people think that designing, producing and releasing toys doesn't cost that much time and money, or worse, that Hasbro 'owes them'.

This is almost like a loveletter to Hasbro :p ..it isn't. I'm not saying they never do wrong. But it would be nice if people had realistic expectations for once! :lol 

This is all just what I think of it..if anyone agrees or disagrees, that's fine. I think though, if you like this figure, more power to you. If you don't like it, just ignore it, there'll probably be another cool toy for you to spend your money on soon enough!

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    made the cannon arm a little cooler...

- pulled the resistor in the electronics (making the LED brigter)
    - removed the blue "fingers"
    - added part of a rubber ball to diffuse the light

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Mechabreaker

Mechabreaker Dead horse beater

I agree with this, I probably will pass on this figure, I'm not saying anything bad about it because it looks like a really nice figure, it's just the fact that it would be horribly out of scale with the rest of the line, I need to pick up HA Bumblebee still, just based how everyone says how good he is. But yeah, Battle Ops Bumblebee=Nice figure, but not for me.

20. rmac-69

rmac-69 TF HUNTER

OK! You win. From here on out no one is allowed to give there opinion anymore. :rolleyes: