battle in space comic details

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by BairdimusPrime, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Staff Edit : Simon Furman Script (W)Rap – Battle In Space

The news is out — Hasbro’s Battle in Space set, featuring Rodimus and Cyclonus, comes with an exclusive comic book written by me and drawn by Boo. Up till now, I’ve kept quiet about this one, largely because I didn’t want to steal anyone’s thunder, and the script (w)rap for the issue has been, well, under wraps.

But now that both set and comic have been announced, it can be revealed (spoilers ahoy — so stop reading now if you’d rather not know) — the comic features an all-new, extra reel of Transformers the Animated Movie!

Yes, names not withstanding, this is a neatly spliced new story set within the framework of the existing movie, and focuses on Rodimus (Hot Rod) and Cyclonus in a pitched, no holds barred battle that presages the climactic transformation of Rodimus (Hot Rod) into Rodimus Prime.

The story also features Scourge, Kup, Wheelie, Galvatron, the Dinobots and more. No news yet (though feel free to leave a comment and update if you know more) when the Battle in Space set is due to hit stores. [The set will be out in December -ed]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2010
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ You're my favorite person right now. Well, in my top five.

EDIT: Oops, I misunderstood your brackets. Well, you and Simon Furman are in my top ten, then.

3. BairdimusPrime

BairdimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hahah well thanks! can't wait for this set (even though i own the figs already) I just want that comic!!! story sounds awesome

4. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This'll be interesting to read, it evan has to ability address the whole who is Cyclonus thing if Simon wants to get into that.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool.

6. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Can't wait to read that. I'm not totally feeling the art, but it's far from the worst I've ever seen. I think it's pretty expressive.

Also, wild speculation here, but maybe this is a hint at some new Dinobots?

7. crasis

crasis Yahk Deculture!

News Credits:
    I almost wish this didn't take place within the frame of the movie. For one thing, everyone looks rather different due to their Classics/Generations bodies. I always viewed Classics as a pseudo "Generation 3," where all characters get modernized upgrades to their old forms. Forcing these new designs into the events of the classic film doesn't seem to jive. For me.

But, then again, Cyclonus and Hot Rod remain two of my favorite characters of all time, so I'm more than willing to give this a chance. Hell, giving these guys (and Kup! And Scourge!) any extra time to shine in the fiction is a win.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Sounds awesome. I hope it shows new Generations toys!

9. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Meaning? They have alternate names in the comic?

10. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Well for one thing, Hot Rod is now Rodimus due to copyright issues.

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...are they starting to retcon the animated movie?

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Fantastic - Furman is back! :D 

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    It sounds like it's probably not so much retconning, but adding a few bits that won't interfere with the movie.

I'd be very interested to see how that turns out. The only area that I can think of where there story can involve these characters is around the time these guys were, on or about to leaving Quintessa.

14. Chaosbringer

Chaosbringer Casseticon Master

so... we might get that Kup and more dinobots? i'd love to have all 5 dinobots in classics style, even a new grimlock!

15. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Furman wrote this??? :yuck 

16. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm usually skeptical about drawing conclusions about a possible Generations Kup from a comic appearence, but the fact that he features shoulder-wheels could be representative of a new mold.

17. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I really hope this does what it's supposed to: explain where Cyclonus and Scourge went after Galvatron went to take on Unicron with the Matrix.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Sounds like it should be interesting. Since Rodimus, Cyclonus, Scourge, and Kup are getting toys, maybe, just maybe Wheelie, Galvatron, and Grimlock will be getting releases too? Probably just wishful thinking, but I would love to have a Deluxe class Wheelie, I could use the Universe Galvatron mold for spare parts, and Grimlock does need a bit of an update (I would have said all the Dinobots, but that might be taking even the wishful thinking a little far, lol).

19. G1Jetfire

G1Jetfire Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Already bought the other box set. So I might have to find the comic on its own. Sounds like a good read, but I don't think it reveals new toys for the Generations line. I would like to be wrong about that though. :)  Adding the Dinobots to the list as new toys to what is revealed on the comic book cover would be sweet! Already have Legends Wheelie. Hopefully Arcee and the Sharkticons will also become Generations figures.

20. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Good to hear about the comic being a new work and it's even more exciting that it fits in with the 86 movie. Can't wait to see what Kup looks like. I imagine that Wheelie will either look like his old self or the legends version. I wonder if Galvy will be the movie or classic version