Battle For Terra - The best movie this summer you didn't hear about

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ciberw0lf, May 4, 2009.

1. ciberw0lf

ciberw0lf Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After seeing the trailers for this movie, I was concerned it was going to be very political and preachy. Oh how I was surprised at its awesomeness. And this is NOT a Kid's movie!

Rating: 5 out of 5

Lets start with the negative. My two concerns seeing the trailer was that the movie was some anti-war/anti-military with a beat you over the head environmental message similar to WALL-E. While those themes are present, they are balanced by the Human main character and a spoiler I wont ruin for you. The environmental message ends no stronger than it was in Independence Day. There were also a few little things that detract from the movie but compared to the total package they can be ignored, for example: the Terran aircraft able to keep pace with Human craft that can travel between atmosphere and space.

The basic story line is that the Human race terraformed Mars and Venus but a civil war between the three planets lead to their destruction. So the remnants of the Human race survived on an Ark ship (cough... Firefly/Serenity... cough) and aimed it at the closest habitable planet, Terra. The story is focused at two main characters, the Terran Mala (Rachel Evan Wood) and the Human Lt Jim Stanton (Luke Wilson) as they struggle to fight for the survival of their respective races. Other actors in this movie include: Chris Evans, Justin Long, Brian Cox, Dennis Quaid, Danny Glover, and Mark Hamill.

As I mentioned earlier, this is not a Kid's movie. The bright and shiny CG animation covers some very dark scenes. Difficult moral decisions and their consequences assault the characters throughout the movie. And if the bitter-sweet ending doesn't leave you with a tear in your eyes or on your cheek, I suggest seeing a doctor about the condition of your heart. I saw this movie in 3-D and was happy to see none of the stupid "Look its 3-D" elements that other movies put in. The 3-D was just used to aid in drawing the audience into the story.

I plan on buying this movie as soon as it is out on DVD and putting it right next to Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, Firefly/Serenity, TMNT and Stardust. I'd be very surprised if any of the summer blockbusters will have a perfect a mix of action, story and characters. Please go see this movie.

2. BenPrince

BenPrince Banned

Boring CGI Tripe...

3. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

this movie was an advertising fail. i didn't know it was coming out until a week before, and then no theater around here got it. So i wont be seeing it.

4. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    This. Plus what marketing they did do, made it seem like it was going to be some kind of cgi Ferngully, ripe with character designs clearly aimed at kids.

American production companies need to learn how to advertise cgi and animated stuff towards adults if that's what they are, and get off this whole comics/cartoons are for kids kick.

5. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Heard of this movie in regards to it anti-military shtick but other than that I know nothing about it

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Who never heard of it?

Although I didn't realize it came out this weekend.
    I wanted to see it, but it came out the same weekend as Wolverine and next weekend is Star Trek so I doubt I will get to.
    And as for the "spoiler" I appreciate your discretion, but "Terra" means "Earth" so I haven't seen the movie, but 1 + 1 normally equals 2...

7. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

At first, I didn't want to see the movie due to your review mentioning your expectations and (apparently) accompanying dislikes of political and anti-war/military themes and then saying how you were surprised. Then I was REALLY against you AND the movie for criticizing Wall-E.

....Then you had to go and mention Mark Hamil and the "Firefly" word. Now I am conflicted and confused, but leaning towards seeing this movie. Really, you just threw a Firefly comparison and Luke Hamil in the same short paragraph. I cant help but want to know more about this movie now. :) 

Also, the advertising for this movie has been around for awhile now, its just that the ads are not very good. It made the movie look like a slightly less sucky version of a Star Wars prequel (is it?).

8. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    In all kinds of ways. #12 at the box office. Yikes.

If advertised and marketed correctly it could have at least been top 5. Missed opportunity.

9. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to do my best to see it this week. I've seen several ads for it, but they didn't make the movie seem like much. I wanted to see it for the 3d effects, but am glad to hear that it might actually be a good movie.

10. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    im pretty sure the human general or whatever voice actor was the same guy that voiced Visari from KillZone2, thought that was pretty cool as he is teh 3vil but also kinda set off the whole greenpeace vibe 4 me, im just hoping its cheap on DVD now that it failed, even tho like you said it could have been good

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My fiance and I went on Sunday to watch it. We love watching new 3D movies, so we went up to the booth and found out that NO theater in Austin has the damn movie in 3D. WTF do they promote a movie in 3D if they aren't even going to show it this way. We'll go back and watch it 2D anyway, since you guys are saying it's good.

12. BB.206

BB.206 Well-Known Member

I went to it on opening night, I got free tickets. It was the least amount of people I've ever seen for an opening night -- there was just my group and another group of three. It wasn't a bad movie.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Seriously, I could not even tell what this movie was about from the commercials.

14. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Am I the only one who thought Terra from Teen Titans? :'(

15. ciberw0lf

News Credits:
    Terra does mean earth, but Terra is not the same planet as Earth. You'll have to see it to find out the spoiler.

If I want political, anti-war/military, and environmental messages I watch the news. I believe most people in this world know that war is bad and we need to rethink our management of the Earth's resources but I don't like being preached too. Wall-e was very preachy (and for the record, I don't hate Wall-e, I was just using it as a reference) and Terra is able to keep those themes without being preachy. And no, it is not a less sucky version of a Star Wars prequel, Terra is a much better movie.

16. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Yeah, I one of those people who saw the TV Spot and groused, "Not 'nother damn CGI Kids Movie". (I think it has more to do with that damn disembodied voice they used. Its the same one for Monsters vs. Aliens. He irritates me to no end. :mad ) I'll rent it when and if it comes on DVD, if it hasn't already....seriously.

17. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw the trailer and was like "Wow! How is this a kid's movie?"

I really want to see it, but with all of the movies like Star Trek and Terminator and Transformers coming out this summer, I don't know if I will have the time to see it. Looks like I will be waiting for it to come to my local Red Box.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Color me interested then.
    And really, the movie just came out at the wrong time with the wrong marketing.
    And it is hyped as a 3D movie yet no theater in Dallas or Austin seems to have it in 3D.
    Also, whoever wrote the Wiki entry on it has no idea of what the stereoscopic 3D process entails.

I think Happy Feet is the worst in that regard.
    Why did you have to dis Star Wars, man. :( 

19. ciberw0lf

News Credits:
    Never saw Happy Feet, but your comment is inline with what I've heard about it. And If they ever release a DVD set with all 6 Star Wars movies in it, I'll be there. The prequels are just easy targets. ;-)

20. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Wait a minute...this movie is supposed to be good?

I never heard of it until like a week ago. I saw the commercials and just assumed it was some crappy kids movie that nobody put any effort or thought into making any good.

So I guess it's worth watching?