Heavy/Scratch: Battle damaged ROTM leader class Megatron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Face, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Face

Face Spawn of Fluffle Puff

I've always enjoyed modifying and repainting my Transformers, I've already posted my leader class Optimus Prime, but I've just gotten started on a new project... I never liked leader Megatron, the gimpy left arm and inarticulate cannon/murder arm on his right just bugged me, and I always wanted to improve him a bit, so I've decided to do so by beating the hell out of him!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I broke the right arm off at the 'elbow', and hit pretty much every surface with my soldering iron to produce blast impacts and my dremel tool to shred his armor up. I went at his head with my sidecutters and dremel to carve off half his 'sideburn', and his jaw to represent what was left of his face after Prime blasted it off

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I went after his torso with my soldering iron to cut in some deep gashes from Prime's swords and some blast impacts. I likewise carved up his armor with my dremel to give it an overall more beaten up appearance

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    the right arm as I said was snapped off at the elbow, creating a very irregular break, I'll be adding some shredded plastic and wire and stuff into the broken end to add a little more detail. The legs were a little tricky, I wanted to damage the tracks, but couldn't really figure on a way to make it look realistic so I ultimately decided to leave them more or less as is. The armor however, I did beat up in much the same way as the rest of the toy.

I'm far from finished, I have a bit more damage I want to do yet, and of course I have to repaint it. I'm still toying with how I'm going to go about that, but I have some ideas in mind, so keep watching this thread for updates!

Attached Files:

2. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ok... Not my preference on damage effects but this will be one hell of a battle hard Megatron, that is for sure. So pretty much no tank mode though right?

3. Face

yeah I scrapped his ability to transform, didn't really care for his altmode anyway so it wasn't a big loss. My original desire was to simply repaint him, but I just hated his right arm so much, I wanted to replace it with something more accurate, but I wasn't able to come up with a solution that worked for me... so I figured the best way to improve him was to tear him to pieces! Anyway, I've gotten a start on painting him, I started with a base of flat black, then over that I'll paint him gunmetal as the primary armor colour, before doing some weathering effects

4. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Gunmetal is a good base color but are you going to add more layers of metal with that? It helps to add realism to the metal tone if you use multiple shades of metal. For instance, I'd do the flat black as you mentioned, gunmetal, then a lighter layer of say silver or steel, and then highlight that layer with chrome silver. Just a thought :) 

Keep up the posts man!

5. Face

yeah I'll be doing lots of layers and lots of shades, believe you me this isn't my first rodeo

6. Face

well Meggy's coming along, I've painted the armor and am almost ready to go at it with some washes and weathering effects as soon as the paint cures. All thumbs as always are clickable

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think the flat black basecoat plays well with the dark gunmetal topcoat, gives the armor a bit more depth. I masked the tracks so they'd remain black, but I peeled off the masking and did a light bit of overspray on them so they'd have a metallic appearance.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I painted the back thrusters with bronze, once everything's dry they'll look amazing with a dark wash and some drybrushing.

I have recently developped a great fondness for using oil paint washes to deepen molded detail, so I can't wait to have a go at this guy with one, I really think he'll look amazing. Then once I start working on detail paint and the battle damage, it'll look pretty special. I ought to have more pics in another day or so.

7. Face

Finished him off this morning, after I painted the gunmetal topcoat, I did a wash with oil paints and mineral spirits, which took about 2 days to dry completely... and smelled up my hobby room something fierce

[​IMG]
    them's some big stompers... the tracks were masked after painting the flat black basecoat, then drybrushed lightly with tamiya XF-16 flat aluminum.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    One of the first mods I made was to grind off his lower jaw with my dremel tool, as well as half of one of the frames on either side. The oil paint wash really brought out the molded details, and drybrushing the highlights really made things pop. I very carefully used the finest tip brush I could to paint the eyes red.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    the hunchback thrusters were painted copper, then some light carbon scoring was sprayed with my airbrush and then drybrushed. The deep gashes in the torso were done much the same, carbon scoring with drybrushing

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    the 'murder arm' was snapped off at the elbow, I drilled out some openings to insert some wire to represent broken power lines and conduits, I used the same trick with most large cuts/gouges in the armor.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I was careful with my drybrushing to keep the recessed areas darker than the raised armor panelling on the torso

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I did some very minor rust blotches on some of his armor, they're not very obvious and my not even show up in the pictures, but I like that they're there, they give the armor just a little more colour depth.

This has probably been my most considerably modified Transformer... at least the most considerable of those that I've finished... and I'm really quite pleased with the end result, he looks pretty cool next to my custom Leader Prime

edit:
    one thing I forgot to do before calling this sucker done was to hit it with a flat clearcoat, which I have since done, so now he's really finished and I'll have a couple more pics to post soon