Heavy/Scratch: Battle Damaged Power Up Prime with All Removable Jetfire Parts

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jcsum, Jan 19, 2011.

1. jcsum

jcsum Active Member

Ebay:
    Hey all,

I first started working on my “Transformable Power Up Optimus Prime” almost a year ago. It was only recently I did a full repaint including adding battle damage to reflect a movie-accurate version of Power Up Prime.

What makes my “Power Up Prime” unique is that it is movie/ concept art accurate “Power Up Prime” AND all Jet Fire armour detaches so that Optimus Prime can transform into truck mode.

Plus, the way the attachments are designed are so that different parts of the armour moves with body parts to maintain high articulation in “Power Up” mode. I solved one of the more difficult parts in designing the interchangeable feet.

All my attachments are through magnets hidden/ embedded in Prime as well the individual armoured parts.

Here is the detailed breakdown of the custom scratch work:

All of Jet Fire Armour parts were built from scratch with Jet Fire and Gundam parts including a whole lot of “kit-bashing”. From head down:

Jetpack

■The thrusters are completely custom made from a bunch of different parts.

■The main extensions are secured to a base that has large magnets attached to the underside. The magnets attach through to the batteries inside Prime.

■There are four arms that extend to the outer half shell of each thruster unit.
    Shoulder Pads

■Custom-made shoulder pads attach to magnets embedded under Prime’s shoulder pads. The magnet positions allow the shoulder pads to move as the figure articulates

Shoulder Guards

■Custom-made shoulder guards attach to the steel pin on Prime’s shoulder with cylinder magnets. This allows the shoulder guards to swivel out of the way when arms are articulated

Back Wings

■The entire wing assembly detaches as one unit and both wings can swivel to different angles.

Chest Plate

■Chest plate with rib armour was made from different parts and fabricated as one assembled unit. They attach to cylinder magnets embedded into the sides of Prime’s body

■The chest plate also pushes up Prime’s chest window armour to give him a more buffed look in “Power Up” mode

Front Thigh Guards/ Inner Thigh Guards

■Sculpted to fit around thighs from Gundum parts
    Knee Guards

■Custom made from different sculpted parts attached via magnets
    Shin Guards

Leg Wheel Guards

■Cut from Gundum and Jet Fire parts and each attach via two magnets to keep it in place without rotating with the wheel

Feet

■This is my only ‘cheat’ in the custom. In designing the extended feet/ leg and creating a movie/ concept art accurate look as well as maintaining stability of the “Power Up” figure, I figured the best way to to just switch feet for the “Power Up” mode. The “Power Up “feet are custom made from many different parts including the feet from a ROTF Leader Class Prime

Forearm Guards

■Cut from Jet Fire parts

Weapons

■Custom BFG with blue LED with ammo belt
    ■Custom Double Gatlin Gun mounted on forearm with ammo belt

Check out more photos and tutorials on my specific battle damage and paintwork here: Custom Battle Damaged Power Up Optimus Prime Leader Class | BACKSTAGE BUSINESS

Thanks for looking!

J C

Attached Files:

2. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

WOW he been in a war!!!

3. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

that is..... wow

4. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Dude, did you let that near TransTorture? He looks ready to finish the battle. I really like the led inset, as well as the added height. Even the back looks well done. The magnet points seem interesting, because it means that stuff moves on him, it's not just static.

5. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Eh--Nicely done but again, the battle damage is just over done. The holes are all the same size, and too evenly placed, the scratches are the same--Over all well done--but if you were to mix the size of the dremel blade you used, you'd get a much nicer effect..and don't feel the need to fill every single space on it with damage. A little can go a long way..Or go like TTT has gotten into, extensive damage where parts are now blown off etc, not just banged up.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks good, but I would like to see what Prime looks like with out the armor!

7. jcsum

jcsum Active Member

Ebay:
    @ tony77tony77 and Alloy Alchemist - thanks! :) 

@ Dormamu - Thanks. Yes, the magnets are placed and embedded such that all Jet Fire parts that are in the way of joints can swivel or lever out of place for full articulation.

@ SamiWCP - Thanks for the feedback! It's really personal preference for me to give it the battle damage as received in the movie. When Power Up Prime appeared, he was quite trashed as with the Jetfire parts - hence the reflection of that. Bullet holes are interpreted from the same automatic fire that sprays in a short time which is why they are the same size and evenly spaces.

@OmegaPrime1983 - Thanks. I attached one pre-power up Prime but here are the rest. Basically, it is exactly the same as all except 1 set of magenets are embedded.

Thanks.

J C

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. astig

astig Optimus Prime's Driver

News Credits:
    awesome! a little bit over done on the battle damage for me, but cool none the less. great custom

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'll agree that the BD is too neat. Even automatic fire on a moving target doesn't leave perfectly sized and spaced holes. I would've gone for screen-accurate damage. (since JetPrime got torn up) Guns missing, thruster ripped off, hardcore stuff like that.

10. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

kool can it be transformed?

11. madhatprime

madhatprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I completely agree with this statment.

The Prime looks great, I LOVE the Powered up mode, looks fantastic.

However the Damage is really over done.
    I think you could take it back a notch by repainting over the scratch marks, and possibly filling in a couple holes. Too much detail takes away from the design of the figure.