Minor/Repaint: Battle Damaged Hot Rod (first attempt at something like this)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by kaseycuyler, Dec 20, 2011.

1. kaseycuyler

kaseycuyler Maximal

So I was sitting with an extra BIS Hot Rod on my desk and I decided to try my first attempt at customizing and doing custom battle damage. I think it turned out well I hope you like it.

Also anything that is actually burnt looking and black was really burnt with either a candle or a lighter. I'm surprised I still have my hand in one piece =O

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I attempted to burn the tip of the gun to make it look like its fired a lot but It didn't turn out quite how i would have liked it.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

I suggest black washing the figure now after it's been damaged and then go back and dry brush some metal highlight on the damaged portions of the figure along with the figure's leading edges to give it a real "battle-worn" look to it.

Otherwise not bad for your first time. I think the burn effects turned out quite well.

3. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

You actually burned the tip of the gun?! That's hardcore:rock  Seriouly, it looks really cool.

4. kaseycuyler

kaseycuyler Maximal

Thanks =) I would try to do some painting but every time I do I end up screwing it up and it looks terrible so I usually stay away from paint >_<

I'm glad you like it I wasn't too sure about it at first. I figured if fire is supposed to come out of it like the missile that he came with, i'm sure its slightly burned. I'm glad I didn't do it too much and ruin the gun. It still fires the missile and everything.

5. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest this too. I might not got with metal tones but at least variable shades of Hot Rod's colors -for example, for the burgandy color, out a lighter or darker shade (your choice) on the actual damaged edges. But definitely add some washes in there because damage apps on unpainted plastic looks awkward in my opinion.

If you need help with washes, PM me and I'll help you.

6. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

This looks pretty cool, bub!

7. kaseycuyler

kaseycuyler Maximal

I went through with a black paint marker and added some on the edges of the burns. I hope I didn't make it worse trying to make it better >_<
    [​IMG]

8. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Well, it's a nice shot man, but I know you can do better with washes. All you really need to do if you prefer to keep him mainly clean...is get a really small sable hair paint brush (probably $2 for 4 of them at Walmart). Buy a jar of model masters acrylic flat black paint and then thin (mix) it with alcohol (71 or 91% rubbing - doesn't matter) so it's milk like consistency. Then, just dip the brush and touch those recessed damaged areas. The paint wash will fall into place perfectly. Then let it dry and do the other spots. It'll look a lot better man.

Plus if you don't like it after you added the washes, just spray it with 409 cleaner and the acrylic paint will come off very easily so nothing's permeant until the paint cures.

It's nice to see you give it a shot at what you've already done so thumbs up!

9. roaddemon2001

roaddemon2001 Mr. fixit

ha ! i was just tinkering with this same bot.camera is dead so no pics but, I took the canopy off his back and trimmed it up so it opens on the hinge. not as cool cause the windows are painted blue but, still , something to pass the time!

10. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

nice job, I have a spare of him as well and was thinking about doing a repaint but I may add some damage now,