Heavy/Scratch: Battle Blade Bumblebee #2

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hthrun, Jun 21, 2012.

1. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    A while ago I modded a Battle Blade Bumblebee using savio-prime's mods. (Again, huge thanks to savio!) I'm not as talented as savio and tried to compensate by giving Bee several removable parts. This allowed a fully transformable Bee that was also more movie accurate.

But I didn't like it. (Keep in mind this is by no means a knock against savio's mods. His mods are EXCELLENT! Rather, this is an indication that my skills are no where near his level.) There were parts that were too fiddly, parts that didn't stay on, parts that were hard to line up, etc. So I recently bought another Battle Blade Bee off eBay to mod, having now learned from my mistakes and limitations.
    Yeah, most complain that there are too many Bees. I instead bought yet another :) 

I've finished all the mods I planned on doing and chromed him, but I still need to give him Reprolabels and a full paint job...

Mods used from last one
    - I gave him OMEGAPRIME's bead eyes and collars just like the last one. These were very simple and low risk, but added some detail.

- Ball joint wrists. Hands that are stuck facing up are my pet peeve of TFs. I decided this time to try it a little different. Rather than cut the corner off the hands, I cut a bigger piece off the arm. I figured if I didn't like it this way, I could swap the arms with my other Bee.
    But I do like this way better. The hands look better IMO and are easier to move around without bumping into the arm.

- Hood/shoulder mod. While this one is a little more high risk, I hated how much the hood sloped down in robot mode. Without doing this mod, I wouldn't even bother with the toy. It makes it look SO much better.

- Partial feet mod. I cut the middles of the feet out, but not the backs of the heels. While it's more movie accurate, I had a hard time getting the feet positioned right to make him stand nicely. But I did cut out the middle still because I liked how that allowed the feet to be concealed better in vehicle mode.

Mods left out from last one
    - Chest mods. When I did these before I ended up using magnets to hold them on. It got annoying playing with Bee because they'd keep sliding around and falling off. So I left the chest the way it was even though the mod is more movie accurate and I really liked how the side pieces of the car covered the shoulders.

- Removable car top and rear. These mods allowed it to look more movie accurate in robot mode, but like with the chest these pieces wouldn't stay on well.
    At first I really disliked how the car top folds up on his back, but then I realized the two back side windows kind of resemble the CG model's bottom wings...

- Ball joint thigh pads. While more movie accurate, I found mine to be very fragile and really hard to line up in vehicle mode.

This new Bee is sturdier and easier to transform. So now I've got a toy that I love when I pick it up and play with it :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dig it :thumb 

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

This is great, but do you realize that those two smaller back windows that Kinda resemble the wings, is actually just that? I wonder, could you use the screw locations on that back window to make those windows pivot out? then you'd get that angled lower wing look, and it would break up the flat windows a bit on the back.

All your mods have really improved this figure. I'd want to do the same things, but I want it done on the HA figure. :thumb 

Great work.

R!

4. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks guys! Yeah, savio actually did mod those back windows to transform into the lower wings, and I used them to make removable wings (see links in first post).
    I was thinking about which of these mods could be done to the other Bees. I did add the beads to HA Bee's eyes and I had given him a collar, but then I removed it. The hood/shoulders and wrists aren't an issue with him...

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

(revisits savio's mods) AHH, I see what he did. I was thinking more of the angling out to the sides instead of back, but yeah, that's look pretty cool.

When I do my HA BB, I think I may ditch the seats. I want the transforming cannon like the battle blades version, and I don't want to be hindered by seats.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, I see my name in there. I'm glad you liked the gem eyes enough to use them, :thumb . Though I'm not the first to actually use the idea, :) .

7. hthrun

Ebay:
    I can't even get it to the point he did, so I wouldn't be able to make them angle out. I did try to angle out the removable ones from my first BBBB, though...
    Gatchaman did something like that with his HA Bee: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/468342-hybrid-style-transformable-human-alliance-bumblebee.html

Oops, I guess I'll have to stop giving you credit :)  But you were the first one I saw post it. I've done it to almost all my Bees and my Devastator!

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haha, no it's cool dude. I totally appreciate bring credited for things. I'm glad your liked it enough to use it. It looks really cool. I still don't see what you did for the feet though.

9. hthrun

Ebay:
    It was the same thing savio did. You can't really see it in robot mode on mine, but the effect is more noticeable on the back of car mode...

10. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love it! I personally have always felt this bee is the best one for the movies lines (though I like the alt mode for the dotm deluxe most...) but didn't do any mobs on him. I'm really really tempted to do a wrist mod for him as that's also my biggest pet peeve...

11. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm really thankful to savio and the tutorials here. I've altered the wrists on most of my TFs that have that issue. Besides Bee here,
    Longhaul
    Starscream
    Nitro Bumblebee
    Shockwave

12. hthrun

Ebay:
    Reprolables added

Added Reprolabels Movie Upgrade set #24. I didn't use them all, though, since I already chromed a few things...

I also decided to archive the initial robot mode mod pics here. I plan on replacing them in the original post after I start painting Bee...

Attached Files:

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, you're getting really good with that chrome foil. Looks great, :thumb .

14. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks man! Though I probably end up throwing away more than actually remains on my TFs :) 

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, I've gone through that. I gave up on metal foil, lol. You've done pretty well though.

16. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks :eek:  It's certainly not the funnest thing to do, but it works well when my job's slow since I can't paint here...

17. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Next stop: Retractable shoulder cannons.

Ahhh, just kidding, man. It looks great.

18. hthrun

Ebay:
    Thanks! I'm not even going to try those unless savio can make them first :) 
    Though some detachable ones as an accessory would be cool...

19. hthrun

Ebay:
    Spent some time painting him yesterday! Still needs a lot of work, more coats, etc. I'll also need to request some replacement stickers next time I place an order with Reprolabels...

Attached Files:

20. actual customs

actual customs Well-Known Member

Very cool