Battle Beast Return

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by guard convoy, Feb 19, 2010.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    found this on /toy/
    [​IMG]
    Diamond has the liscense and they were given away as a freebie at toyfair.....this is transformers news in a way right?

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

It totally is Transformers news. Moreover, it's awesome news. Is this for real?

3. guard convoy

News Credits:
    yea, at least this one is

4. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

It looks a lot like a minimate, especially in the elbows and thighs.

5. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yay, for my classics shelf. Nay for my Wallet. (Thanks Headmasters.)

6. guard convoy

News Credits:
    a poster on toy said that apparantly minimate is the ones making these and they will have minimate articulation, but didn't provide a source....so it could be

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That's cause it basically is. They bought the rights to Battle Beasts last year. Here's the thread about it.

8. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Ugh. Maybe I'll like them when I see them in person (assuming they're not hard to get), but as much as I love Beastformers, I am NOT liking this design as Aligatoron. Heck, it's not even the correct color scheme. May as well be just a generic anthro-animal line :/

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

As a proud owner of a full set of Hasbro Battle Beasts (that means none of those funky japanese exclusive Laser Beasts, sadly), I'm pretty thrilled about the prospects of this line's rebirth.

DL... I realize this looks nothing like the OLD alligator, but does that really matter?

For me, Battle Beasts was all about the variety... not necessarily individual characters. This makes it a little different than GIJOE, MOTU and TF, where many fans want EXACTLY the old characters reborn. I don't even think I'd WANT a new line to just re-imagine all the beasts from the past. I don't need new versions with upgraded articulation. I've already got 'em all. Honestly, this is one of those rare times that articulation doesn't really matter much to me. I just want even more of those awesome little cyborg animal sculpts. :D 

Now, that said... I've seen the pics of this from last year's news, and something just doesn't seem right. There's something in the overall design that just feels "off". It doesn't feel like a Battle Beast, though it's hard to say why exactly. I hope they make more, and that among the new ones, something clicks for me, nostalgically speaking.

It's weird... we've had a lot of lines in recent years that have a similar appeal to Battle Beasts... Robot Heroes, Gormiti, various Poke and Digi -mons... often in collectible 2-packs. None of them hit the spot. Maybe we need to get some Japanese designers on the job? :) 

zmog

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Not sure if I'll be picking these up. The ~$25 price tag for a 2-pack of 1 Battle Beast & some human minimate, with a little background playset-thing is kinda steep when all I want is the one BB figure.

BTW, as of a few days ago you can find that Toyfair promo figure on eBay.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even as a longtime BB/LB collector, I can confidently say I won't be shelling out for these.

When we didn't see anything about them since the initial announcement last July, I'd thought they had been cancelled.

12. SMOG

Seriously? Is that the price point they're going to try these with??

That sucks. Give me a variety of Battle Beast 2-packs with a $6-$8 price tag... screw the human enemies and the playsets. Then we'll talk.

zmog

13. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
  14. SMOG

Thanks for the link!

Maybe it's because this is still very much an obscure direct-market thing, and not a mass-market product yet. Maybe they're charging extra for that oversized cardboard playset... but I think if they really want to market these things, they need to go with the affordable 2-pack route.

And for what it's worth, looking at that clearer picture of the Gator, I'm still not impressed. The armour, the limbs, the overall proportions... it's not working. I would have thought that the Minimate basic structure would work well for Battle Beasts, but in fact it doesn't. If they go anywhere with this line, I think they might want to create a different template for the figures... a broader, squatter one.

zmog

15. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    awesome!

16. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm... can't say I'm impressed or excited. Very cool for fans of Battle Beasts though.

17. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't look like they will have the fire, water, wood rub signs. Pass!

18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

You know, I love Battle Beasts.... had a ton of 'em as a kid, have a fairly sizable collection of them now to go alongside my TF's.... but this little guy just does nothing for me. It just doesn't have the same "feel" as the original Battle Beasts (understandable, given that it is manufactured by a different company who makes a different sort of toy).

The best venue for any sort of "new" Battle Beasts figures would be the "Heroes"-type figures.... the Robot Heroes, the SW Galactic Heroes, and whatever the Marvel ones are called. Hell, one reason I like Robot Heroes so much is that they REMIND me of Battle Beasts. They feel far more Battle Beast-y than this figure.

I guess I'm also a bit prejudiced toward Minimates. I'm a Lego collector as well as a TF collector, and Minimates always seemed like knockoff Lego minifigs, but without the charm. Which is a shame, since they have the licenses to some franchises of which I am a fan. But I just can't but any of them... they're just not aesthetically pleasing to me.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, SCPrime is right! No rub signs? Bah! Point = Entirely Missed.

19. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that battle beast looks like utter dog shit.

20. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

I got excited over the title of this thread and was let down by the picture. I'd love a re-issue of the original Battle Beasts. I sold my collection half a decade ago and was sad to see them go. Their tiny little bodies with limited arm articulation and colored armor and fur/skin/hide was part of the line's charm. You might as well make them four inches tall with ball joints and weapons that fire plastic missiles. I don't know if the molds still exist or they can be reverse-engineered, but that would be teh shit.