Battery Leakage in a MISB

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RodimusDawg, Oct 17, 2009.

1. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a question for my fellow collectors out there. My mother got me the reissue G1 Optimus Prime a while back. The one the comes with the More Than Meets The Eye 3 part dvd and reprint of Marvel Comics Transformers #1.

I left it in package and in the shipping box and haven no plans of opening it ever really. Not for financial gain just as a keepsake from my mom. Something told me to check it out today and press the button on the sound box. I did and nothing happened which means more than likely batteries are dead.

Now I am worried a bit about Battery Leaking into the packaging and damaging the box and or figure. I there any way I can remove or replace the batteries without doing too much damage?

I don't know much about battery leaking but I would rather not open it unless I have to.

2. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

While I am sure it has happened, I have never seen it, or a picture of it. Don't sweat it. My shackwave had the same battery in it from 1985 till 2006. No issues.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a few of the figures i have gotten have had battery leakages

4. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

I think it depends on the brand of the battery and the climate of the environment. I wouldn't worry too much about it though.

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it uses those small watch batteries, they don't tend to leak, I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless it is exposed to high heat, like in direct sunlight through a window, I wouldn't worry.

6. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    i beg to differ...had a MISB energon ultra magnus that got the sound gimmick ruined from the batteries bursting and leaking....and that was discovered about 2 years after the toy was made...

7. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Open the box carefully and clean out the Battery compartment.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's hit or miss I think. I have plenty of figs from 10 years plus with the original battery and nothing has happened.

My advice . . . don't sweat it.

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If it's a big deal then carefully open it and remove the battery then return it. If you don't plan on opening it you might never find out if it leaks or not. If not, and it leaks later you can always look for a replacement. It's the thought that counts after all.

10. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    fair enough, and it had to be that figure too, damn...

but, I'd bet one in a thousand odds it can happen like that... otherwise we would hear all about it a lot, trust me.

I have batteries that have been in my G1 Shockwave, Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx, and Galvatron, have been in there more than 10 years, they work fine an no leakage (yet)