batteries included MISB Transformers.. Long term Storage Issues?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by whoamidri, Nov 1, 2011.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I've never had a cart battery leak but it's a good point it does make you wonder how many Supermario world carts will exist in another 20 years time if the batteries explode inside the cartridges.

Also the tools to open Carts are complex as all heck to find the local games shop I used to have before the guy moved to America used to have 37 different screw drives to open carts of various sorts to swap out the batteries.

It's pretty soul destroying though to take the battery out of an RPG you spent weeks on.

I never opened my RID Scourge as I already had Car Robots Black Convoy but now I'm worried about that too...

'Sigh'

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I just opened up my MISB MP -01, sigh, cleaned out the corrosion, glad to see the Matrix light was still ok, now kinda wondering how to display the guy now that he's out :D 

3. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    No electronics in RID Scourge, it was all removed. You've lucked out.

4. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

That's a shame about your games. I never thought of that before now. A whole new mess to sort out with my video game collection. At least we will always have emulators.

I am still on the fence but all this feedback from you guys is adding up. My Rid stuff with the try me gimmick still works, kind of (in that creepy dying batteries sort of way). I really won't care if what happens as long as they display nicely in the box.

Agree 100%

yikes.

5. whoamidri

6. whoamidri

just finished reading the above link. Very good stuff. I will now attempt to detrimine which type of batteries are used on the electronic tranformers I have and remove batteries from the ones with alkaline batteries

7. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    The batteries included with my MP-2 Ultra Magnus leaked. Fortunately I had already removed them from the toy, and were in a bag floating around the box.

8. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    there's gotta be something in the climate that determines if this can happen too. I've been removing the bats from some of my figures now due to this thread, and the closest I've got to any type of corrosion was a G2 starscream sound pack, that had slight condensation/leakage on the batteries, but no noticeable damage.

everything else I've checked on my figures so far has been fine. I'm still removing them to avoid mess somewhere down the road, but I think it's a bit odd that the worst I'm seeing is a couple little bubbles on the batteries of a 20 year old figure.

9. whoamidri

From what I read extreme heat will cause them to leak, so if storing in your attic it might help. I haven't started to take the batteries out of mine yet. I am in the process of finding which type of battery is in what figure. I think I will check what i can tonight

10. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I share your sentiments. I hate it that I have to open those "batteries included" TF figures.

Another worry are those figures that cannot be opened but have a battery inside, like the DOTM keychain Bumblebee, the bigger one.

11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wisdom has spoken