batteries included MISB Transformers.. Long term Storage Issues?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by whoamidri, Nov 1, 2011.

1. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I was searching around for other discussions on this subject and found one site that basically says that all batteries will leak and that any figure with bateries included should have the bats taken out.
    My questions:
    Have any of you out there experienced this first hand?

How many of you remove batteries from you MISB figures?

Does anyone have general tips for removing the battieries and maintaining the MISB look of the figure?

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    G2 Laser Rods are infamous for sealed examples having dead batteries and dead electronics to boot.

WRT packaging.... unless you start cutting chunks out of the package, i don't know how you'd get the batteries out w/o opening the package.

In the few cases of Masterpieces that ship with batteries.... opened packaging doesn't seem to make a lot of different to the value.

3. whoamidri

Thanks for your input. Most of the figures I am worried about are from teh RID line. I would really like to keep them all sealed. I guess when it comes right down to it, I don't mind if the electronics don't work as long as the figures' apperance isn't effected by a leaking battery. I would prefer to save the electronics if possible though.

4. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    even if you just open the package to remove the batteries, your toy goes from misb to mib, and probably a slight decrease in value with that.

however for personal collections I'd probably suggest doing it. better safe then sorry, and I'd rather take some mib figures then having a collection damaged to battery corrosion/leakage.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yes, batteries will leak. I'm not a MISB collector, but I just had my Armada Starscream's batteries leak out a crumbly white mess that was a pain in the ass to clean.

I took batteries out of all my toys after that. Playing it safe.

I don't know if those pull-tabs they put in the battery housings to keep electronics from going off will keep the batteries from leaking, though.

Should you sacrifice the "MISB" status to save the electronics? I don't know. It's up to you. If you just want them to stay sealed in your collection, does it even matter? You'll never even know, unless the batteries are active as part of some "try me" gimmick, but then to you it'll be the same as the battery running dry, rather than leaking.

If you resell them in the future to someone who opens them, that's their problem, not yours. If you buy old MISB toys and open them, it's common sense that their batteries will not only be dead, but very likely leaking too.

6. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    If you keep it sealed to sell, then don't bother, if the buyer opens it and the eleecetronics don't work, then he should've taken precaution when buying an oldish toy with batteries, and he can't file a complaint because there was no way of you knowing. However, if you open it to check the batteries, you'll lose some value in the toy because it's not sealed.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I just dealt with a friend's collection of RID toys not that long ago, and in preparation for selling them, I cleaned them up, finding that the original batteries were still inside. The appearances weren't affected, but more than one battery had corroded inside the box. Fortunately, all it took was some work with a wire brush to clean all the crap out. A couple new batteries, and they worked perfectly; none of the actual electronics were affected.

Now, keep in mind, these were loose, so I don't know if staying sealed will have any alternate affect on them. If it helps, the toys were Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Sideways, and Axer.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Would you be able to open the package and remove the batteries, without removing the toy from the twist ties and backing?

9. whoamidri

thanks for the thoughts!

I take the batteries out of all my opened stuff too. No sense in ruining a a great figure just cause I was too lazy to store it properly.

Pretty sure the pull tabs don't help or don't matter. From what I know they are there to take the product out of demo mode once you get the toy home. From what the mighty Google tells me, batteries usually leak because of the way they are manufactured i.e. they are after all meant to be disposable and the housings are not designed to contain the acid or base chemicals for such a long time . I also read that heat can contribute to battery leakage as well, so I guess if someone stores a misb figure in an attic or somewhere else where it gets really hot....

Yeah I'm not too concerned with the resale value at this point. More the displayibility of the figure misb say 10 yrs (and beyond) from now. I just want to take proper care of my collection and keep it as nice as possible.

Sound advice. I am just a sucker for that misb display though.

Appreciate the experience and glad to hear there was no damage done to the appearance of the toys.

I doubt it. I feel like it would take a pretty serious effort to do that, but I haven't actually investigated the possibility as of yet.

10. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think you might be safer with something like Duracells in a toy but I'm not sure I trust those POWERFUEL Batteries if they get damp not to leak.

Its sad to think some thing like the super limited Lasercycle Jazz & Soundwave either have to be opened or they get wrecked by their own batteries.

I'd say remove them if your going to store them - especially if it's some place like a loft or cellar where the temperature is variable.

But there are ways to open boxes with little or no damage.
    The only bit that is very tricky is the tape over the string ties you might have to slice through it to get the toys out and be able to re tie them into the boxes... (don't cut the strings if you want to put them back you''ll have to pain stackingly retie them.

I think I might go open my Micron Legends Galvatron now if only just so I can take the batteries out of him since I have 5 versions of that mould and 3 of them have something wrong with them it might be a good idea to not allow the other to get wrecked.

I'm having feeling i'll have to do the same with Galaxy Force Master Megatron & all my two colours of Leader Brawl, my Premium Leader Prime,My Premium Leader Megatron too who I'd kept in the box till now.

Damn... Now I got that in my head I don't feel safe leaving them where they were... such a risk but I don't want Acid all over them... but hey if I fish them out I can give myself a decent amount of Leaders & some Japanese exclusive deco toys for Xmas to play with !

I guess I better go attack the Micron Legend Hotshots with a screwdriver too get that LED out of their fist.

11. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty sure batteries will leak eventually regardless of their brand/quality. If it's a personal collection and you don't intend on selling them in the near future... I would consider battery removal. Note that it won't be a MISB item anymore obviously. It will lose some value for sure.

I'm not a MISB collector myself, so there's a darn good question for TF appraisers... if you know that a figure's batteries can and most likely will corrode (damaging said figure)... would that not make it *worse* in value than a MIB figure that was only taken out for sake of battery removal?

12. whoamidri

all that sounds like a heap of work. Good luck! Sorry if I made you paranoid, welcome to my world :)  . I am still on the fence about opening mine and trying something like you suggested, though leaning towards leaving them alone at the moment.

13. whoamidri

That is an excellent question. Anyone care to take a crack at it? I'm not too interested in protecting the value, moreso, protecting the bots so that I can enjoy them when I turn 103.

14. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I am mostly an MISB collector, but I remove the batteries of figures that come with them as soon as possible. I've had non-TF toys with leaked batteries so I've learned my lesson.

Anyway, I want to ask a question, any if you guys recently opened any TFTM figures with batteries that have leaked? I want to buy some factory sealed TFTM stuff with electronics but I'm worried they might have leaked batteries.

15. whoamidri

Appreciate the advice.
    As for your question, I would not be the right guy to ask about that as I am still debating on whether to remove the batteries from my stuff. I also don't have very many movie figures. I did have a leader prime for a few years and it had no problems before I traded it about 6 months ago.

16. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Yeah batteries will leak eventually. I don't leave any batteries in my G1s but one time batteries did leak on me when I left them in a SNES - what a mess that was...

17. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I've never had issues with game systems or tranformers, but I've been paranoid about this ever since I found a leaky set in one of my remote control cars that'd like, leaked all the way out into the back of my closet.

... come to think about it, I should make sure that all of my PW toys are without batteries.

18. Spunk

Spunk Headless Knock-off

I'm an MISB collector and these batteries is monkey on my back :(  , all leader class TFAs, TFTMs, ROTFs and a lot of TFU voyagers have to eventually opened in the near future. Any of you have an idea on the life span of the batteries?

19. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I forgot where I read about it, but those double A ones are said to last a maximum of 4 years.

20. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like it when a TF figure is battery "included" in the package like MP01,sure make the whole electronics being damaged if battery are not taken out