Batman: Year One - The Movie "Should it have been made?"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OP84, Apr 28, 2012.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

For those of you who don't know, plans for a film based on Batman: Year One began around the same time development started on a third Batman film around the early 1990s. Batman Returns had underperformed at the box office (in Warner Bros. eyes) due to the fact that it was much darker than it's predecessor. Joel Schumacher was then hired to direct a third Batman film.

But at first, Schumacher planned to do an adaptation of Batman: Year One which was given the thumbs down by Warner Bros. because they wanted a sequel, not a prequel or a reboot. Thus, we ended up with a good, albeit slightly more outrageous Batman film and a terrible piece of crap notorious for being filled with campy one-liners and sexual innuendo.

Because Batman & Robin was such a flop, the planned sequel to that film (Batman Triumphant) was cancelled and Warner Bros. decided to move forward in a new direction with the franchise. Many attempts including a "requel" (think The Incredible Hulk) entitled, Batman: DarKnight, which would've featured Scarecrow (who was already the intended villain for Triumphant) and Man-Bat as villains, an adaptation of Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli's Batman: Year One, and an adaptation of the Batman Beyond animated series. Both DarKnight and Batman Beyond were dropped almost instantly in favor for Year One.

Despite Joel Schumacher's interest (considering it was the movie he actually wanted to make) Warner Bros. hired then up-and-coming writer-director Darren Aronofsky to write and direct the film. Aronofsky then brought the writer of Year One, Frank Miller to aid him on the script. The entire story was similar to the comic, but with some differences, including Bruce Wayne being poor after his parents are murdered which in turn leads him to being raised by an African-American version of Alfred named "Big Al" who owns a junkyard and lives with his son "Little Al". It was going to be more "realistic" with no sets involved, filming entirely in cities and such. Aronofsky was even in negotiations with Christian Bale for the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman (who, as most of you know, portrays the character in Christopher Nolan's Batman films) But alas, it was not meant to be as Warner Bros. decided to move forward with Batman vs. Superman and completely abandon Year One.

What's my :2c:  on this? To put it simply, I'm glad we got the films we have now because personally, I think Year One wouldn't have been that good. It definitely would've been interesting seeing a normal car fitted with engines, turbines, and other large parts in order to make a makeshift Batmobile (search up "Batman: Year One Concept Art by Draxhall Jump" on Google to know what I'm talking about) but in general, I wouldn't want anything different. What are your thoughts? Would you've liked to see the film made? Or are you happy with the films we've gotten now like I am?

2. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

So, uh, no one's interested in replying?

3. sh002

sh002 Banned

i would have loved a tv series.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    If Schumacher was directing, it wouldn't have been that good.

5. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

And you know this how?

6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think we have 2 steaming piles of poo as proof how his directing would turn out. Keyword: Batnipples.

7. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the Batman: Year One concept has been fulfilled in Batman Begins. I believe it was mentioned that the influence of Year One was particularly strong in how Nolan chose to portray Jim Gordon and also in having the Gotham underground and crime gangs, such as the Falcone family, be the initial villains.

Year One's successors, Long Halloween and Dark Victory were instrumental in shaping the concept of costumed freaks overtaking the criminal gangs as the central villains of Gotham City (the idea of "escalation" is a big theme in the Nolan films).

I think all in all, the Nolan films owe a lot to Miller's Year One and to Loeb's and Sale's Long Halloween and Dark Victory.

8. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Joe Shoemocker would turn Batman: Year One into a full-out laugh hut with leather jockstraps, idiotic police officers, and a Carmine "The Roman" Falcone who's played completely for laughs and makes jokes about Ancient Rome. (How was the Roman Empire cut in half? With a pair of Caesars!)

9. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

This...
    And this.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Fun Fact:

Joel Schumaucher is a huge Batman fan, infact he wanted Batman Forever to be as dark as teh Tim Burton films but Warner Bros. Executives said No and made it into the camp fest today.

11. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Did the executives ask for bat-nipples or a ass shot from Batman?

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    As far as I'm concerned? Batman Begins IS Batman: Year One.

I'm sceptical about this. Very sceptical.

13. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Any references for this fun fact? Cause I can say this. Fun fact, Joss Whedon drowns kittens to sustain an erection.

Either way, I'm glad Joel isn't anywhere near the Bat-Franchise anymore. I wouldn't want him touching it with a ten foot clown pole.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They did Batman year one as a animated movie recently.

15. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

I actually thought Batman Forever was pretty good. And really? I'm only 13 and even I have no problem with nipples on the batsuit.

16. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

So, you really want to make a big deal out of the nipples and five seconds of showing Batman's ass?

17. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

That was great, but I'm talking about a live-action adaptation.

18. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Dude, use the freaking multiquote button. You don't need to reply to every single response individually, especially when you only answer them with one sentence each.

19. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

It's true. Schumacher never wanted to do Forever, he had always planned on doing an adaptation of Year One instead of a sequel but the guys over at WB said "No." After Batman & Robin, Joel Schumacher said in an interview that he felt that he had owed Batman fans a "real" Batman movie and planned on going "back to basics" by doing the origin of Batman as seen in Year One. The only people to really blame for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are the jackasses at Warner Bros. (I wouldn't be surprised if di Bonaventura was involved in the matter)

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Do we have anything to confirm this, apart from 'Schumacher said so'?