Batman the Movie (1966)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Autovolt 127, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Batman The Movie (1966) trailer - YouTube

Anyone one else out there loves this cheese feast starring Adam West as Batman and Burt Ward as Robin.

I honestly like this movie more than the Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher films but not as much as the Dark Knight Trilogy. How can you not go wrong with exploding Sharks, Batman and the Bomb running scene, *The Pow and Whams* and Lee Meriwether as Catwoman? 10/10.

So any fans of Adam West's Batman?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Ah 60's Batman, you truely were amazing.

3. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

ba na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!! batman is allways awesome! :D 

4. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

I do! :D 

I especially love Batman and the bomb scene in that particular movie and I'm not ashamed on having this Batman film on DVD. :wink: 

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

great movie. i just wished it was Eartha Kitt instead though.

6. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I love that movie. It's my fourth favorite Batman movie.

7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I'd sooner watch this movie and the 60's TV series over any of Christopher Nolan's tedious drivel.

This was a version of Batman that didn't take itself too seriously and it's much more fun as a result.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Oh God that's so retarded and yet strangely wonderful. That show is awful in every single way from the "acting" to the truely ridiculous costumes to the asinine plots, but it's almost like watching a cat with a jar on it's head freak out. You should feel bad but it got itself into that mess.

Yeah, Nolan's stuff is way too mainstream. It's much cooler to like the older, not as popular stuff. Only sheep would like the Batman movies that were made with genuine effort and quality and were true to the character's roots and history.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

this; but with the exception of batman begins, which didn't take it self too seriously, and did have a lot of humor poking fun at the whole concept of batman. hell Bruce even talked about how a man who dresses up like a giant bat, clearly has issues.

it was just the other two that just lost the humor. but the dark knight rises did try to bring some of it back, but a lot of it just did not work in my opinion. with context to what's going on.

60's batman was supposed to be fun, and family friendly. and it did a pretty damn nice job at it. plus, bat-shark-repellent! :lol 

10. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    This.

Though.....I have one thing to say. Vincent Price as a scientist whom's head is in the shape of an egg. Admit it.....that's awesome.

11. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    This is one of those films I must've watched a thousand times as a kid. There's just something special about Batman & Robin vs. Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, AND Riddler -- all of whom are played in a wonderfully ultra-hammy way.

12. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: 

I like what I like and couldn't give a fuck about being "cool".

I've never even read a Batman comic, I first saw reruns of the 60's show as a kid and then never bothered with it until the '89 film came along which I still think is awesome although "Batman Returns" will always be my favorite.

I also enjoyed some of "Batman Forever" and only disliked "Batman & Robin" to any great degree.

With some very notable exceptions such as the heroes costumes in the Joel Schumacher movies all 4 of those movies look much more intresting visually and the characterisations are fine for the genre.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I dunno man, that 60's Batmobile was pretty sweet. Even if it couldn't break 30mph :p 

As strange as it may sound, there is a surprising amount of Batman in the Adam West show, its just mainly Silver Age style stuff. So for my money, there was effort put into the 60's Batman. And to a degree, I like the idea that at some point (ironically done in Batman Forever) he transitions from being Batman because he feels he must, to being Batman because he chooses to.

14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I have it on DVD! :D  I especially love the ending. REally funny and weird. XD

15. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    The scene with the umbrella jets is my favorite moment in West Batman history.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Let's not go too crazy here. The '66 movie is very true to Batman's roots and history. In many ways, MORE true in a literal sense than the Nolan movies, as much as I enjoy them.

The problem I have with people talking about being "true to the roots and history" for something like this is that most times, their perception of history only seems to go as far back as their own childhood, ignoring the real roots of a character.

If we're talking about the first year or so of the ORIGINAL Batman back in the Golden Age, the two Burton movies are probably closest in tone overall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if we're talking about the ORIGINAL Batman from about his second year (1940) all through the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s, then the Adam West Batman is probably closest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nolan's Batman draws almost all of its inspiration from the revamp which happened in the 1970s, spearheaded by Denny O'Neil, combined with the Year One reboot by Miller in the 1980s, along with all following related works... Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Shaman, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So unless you consider the 1970s-1990s to be Batman's roots, ignoring the character's first 3 decades of existence, maybe ease off on the hyperbole a bit.

Even though Forever is by far my least favorite of all Batman movies ever made, that aspect was kind of true to the original character. Back in the Golden Age, even in his earliest adventures, Batman was a much more well-adjusted character than the brooding loner we are used to now. He was inspired by the death of his parents, but by the time he had reached adulthood, he had kind of gotten over it, leading a normal life, dating and eventually getting engaged, and treating 'Batman' more as a hobby he enjoyed (part time!) rather than something he was compelled to do.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I like pretty pictures.

18. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    I can't even watch the 60s show it's so bad, and the movie is no exception. I do not care if that is the appeal, I find it stupid. People always call me crazy for it, but considering I grew up with BTAS, this as a series doesn't do anything for me.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    A little visual aid.

This is the bottom line for most people. At least you acknowledge it.

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

This movie will be legendary for me simply because I ended up watching it during a long-ass bus ride with my National Boy Scout troop on the way to the 2010 Jamboree, which made it all the more hilarious as everybody did MST3K commentary on the film (funniest ones involving the infamous "Bat Shark Repellant", the two times the Riddler uses an ICBM to write sky messages, and the fact that everybody except Batman and Robin simply explode the moment they hit a large body of water for no actual reason.)