Batman: The Brave and the Bold figures

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ravenxl7, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Figured I'd start a thread for those of us who are interested in this line. I so far only have three of the figures currently out. Battle Slam Batman, Cyclone Spinner Red Tornado, and Skiff Ripper Black Manta. Bellow are some pictures I've taken of them, along with comparison shots with an older Batman figure I still have (Ninja Power Pack Batman), and Animated Prowl. I should check the settings on my camera. The next ones I plan on getting is Sea Spear Aquaman, Super Saber Batman, and possibly Star Blade Batman. Would get the Ray Blaster Kanjar Ro figure, but he appears to be the same exact figure that will be coming in a two-pack with a Blue Beetle figure, so I'll probably just wait and get that one. Articulation isn't perfect on these guys, but they're fun anyways. Though it's going to be interesting to see how they make Batman's Batbike work. Here's my opinions on each figure:

-Battle Slam Batman- good basic Batman figure. The weapon is actually pretty cool, though the connector doesn't really stay in the connector ports or his hand very well. Would have benefited from a connection similar to the one's on Red Tornado's and Black Manta's weapons. Paint apps are good. Though it is a bit obvious that he shares some parts with Batman's figure.
    -Cyclone Spinner Red Tornado- good basic Red Tornado figure. The wheel weapon thingy is a little odd, but looks good. His waist is loose, but makes sense. It would have been much better if there was a trigger, or something, that made it spin. Paint apps are good.
    -Skiff Ripper Black Manta- Really good figure, and the weapon is nice. Paint apps are pretty much perfect. He even has some head articulation, even though the wires connect it to his back.

Attached Files:

2. Sir_Sapphire

Sir_Sapphire Well-Known Member

What is with most Batman figures and the sucky shoulders?

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    :confused: 

4. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    he probably means the the early 90s articulation

5. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    I dunno it just looks really kiddy to me

Red Tornado is pretty sweet but the Batman fig, yeah he just reminds me too much of the kiddy Batman toys I have seen

6. MEGAMAN X FAN

News Credits:
    exactly too kiddy looking and the articulation is outdated

7. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A. It's a cartoon and toyline for kids, so yeah.
    B. The look is deliberately designed to be like the work of artists of yore, primarily Dick Sprang.

As such, I adore the looks.

But I do share the disappointment in the articulation. They could've at least done knees.

Having said that, I own Sea Spear Aquaman and Skiff Ripper Black Manta, and they're quite nifty! The modular parts attaching is a very cool play idea. I would've loved something like that when I was a kid.

I want a Red Tornado, but I haven't seen one with good paint apps yet. I'll probably end up getting the Deluxe version of Aquaman, too, as I am a sucker for all things Orin. I'm really eyeballing the Beetle's Bug, as well.

And yeah, Raven, the Kanjar Ro in the two-pack (which is out) is exactly the same as the single-carded one.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I haven't actually seen any of the Deluxe or 2-packs in stores yet (though I have seen pictures of them). I've been lucky enough to be able to find most of the basics, most of the vehicles, and the sword (don't plan on getting it, but have seen it in-person). I wouldn't say my Red Tornado's paint apps are absolutely perfect, but they are really good, imo. I agree with you that modular parts are really cool, and something I also wish they had done when I was a child. The Green Arrow figure is one I'm really looking forward to, along with the Joker figure (though I haven't seen what it looks like yet). The Riddler figure is actually pretty interesting, but is less traditional looking than most of the other characters. Atom's figure looks pretty interesting, and has a mace as a weapon.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I just can't get into this. The articulation sucks (Please stop making figures with the articulation of a bad Chinese KO!) and i can't get into the whole Adam West Batman revisited look.

10. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

agreed,plus they have too much of a kiddy look to them. if they ever release some gl corp figs i might consider it but otherwise these are an easy pass.

11. Crown_Athlete

Crown_Athlete Well-Known Member

They are shelf-warming pretty bad...and they get more peg-space then DCU.

12. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I kind of like these figures (they're supposed to be kiddie-looking!), but I'm really trying to cut back on collecting so many different things so I probably won't be purchasing any of them. As has already been stated, the lack of articulation is kind of a turn off for me as well. I really like the looks of the Black Manta, though so I may make one exception...

13. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Black Manta is the only one I thought looked good.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm all for the cartoon-ized style and kid-appeal, but there's no reason for articulation that bad.

15. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    QFT.

For this reason alone I hope that this line bombs. Mattel needs to get into current times and stop making crappy toys.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I hate to sound like what I am, but why can't all lines be as good as TFs? It's terrible, because I love Animated: fluid cartoon style with transformation and tons of articulation, I love the Clone Wars: again fluid style, but the articulation is somewhat limited, forgivable in smaller toys like them, (worse in the jedi, with limited legs) then there's the new Batman toys: same style, practically NO movement.

17. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I like the designs, I hate the articulation. This coming from a guy with a rather large JLU collection also.

I got Sea Spear Aquaman, because, well, Aquaman. He rocks. I loved his appearances in the cartoon. I may nab a Batman and Tornado because of how awesome they were represented in the toon, but...

While I won't be collecting this hardcore (some of the JLU, and the DCUC and DCIH are more than enough for my DC toys), I'm glad we got a few awesome chars, and I'm glad that the kids will be getting a bunch of toys. If it's good for kids, then that just means more future generations of people buying DC toys later in life.

18. MEGAMAN X FAN

News Credits:
  19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Link doesn't work...

Edit: There's some new stuff shown here: http://toyfair09.asmzine.com/gallery/mattel/mattel-batman/index.html

The Joker, Bwana Beast, the Batmobile, the Batjet, and some different versions of Bats are all that's really new, along with some better look at the mini figures and other figures we've already seen pictures of.

The Joker, while not perfect, is definitely buyable. I've actually limited my to-get list a bit, to help save on a bit of money, instead of trying to get everything. I have, so far, actually limited myself down to just one Batman from this line, and that's the one I already have. Though I'll most likely be getting a second one, as I plan on getting the Batmobile. It's just too awesome to pass up on, and it would be nice to get a new Batmobile. I actually miss the one I had growing up, so this'll be nice. The camo Bats next to Sportsmaster looks pretty cool, so I might actually get that one too. Bwana Beast is just too akward, imo.

20. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    The Brave and the Bold toy series has some nifty ideas with the interchangability...

... if the holes for the accessories weren't so freakishly humumgous.