Batman The Animated Series 20th anniversary

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by HordakFan, Sep 29, 2012.

1. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

This year is the 20th anniversary to the greatest animated show ever made and broke ground since then.

Here we can discuss episodes, fave episodes, your memories of seeing this show when it first aired and all that.

I remembered about 21 years ago when i was reading in Starlog magazine and Comicscene that there was gonna be an animated series in the works to concide with Batman Returns with a sneek preview episode in August 1992 then series premiere September 6th 1992 i was excited as i knew one day they do an animated show and been a fan of Batman since 1989 as i wanted an animated show yet my dream came true. When i turned 11 i watched the sneek preview episode "On Leather Wings" and it blew me away, i taped/watched the series religiously all the time and my bigger brother who was 20 at the year watched it with me sometimes as he is a DC/Batman fan like me and on occasion my mom would watch the show sometimes, it was that damned good of a show.

Well written with engaging stories, great voice actors including an all-star cast and all that.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the first episode i saw was the cat and the claw. fantastic episode, still love it today.

how ever, later episodes made me like catwoman much less lol

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Finally ordered the entire series just last week--Amazon.com had better deals on the separate sets vs the whole series DVD's. Read lots of good reviews about this series and I always liked Batman: Beyond, thought I'd give the older series a look-see. Can't wait to get them and start watching...they're in route. :thumb 

4. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First one I saw was Nothing to Fear... and seeing as I was about seven years old (and a chicken shit) I'm surprised I continues to watch it. :lol 

jD001

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Glad you said that, I was thinking of watching with my 7yo nephew, guess not, huh? :lol 

6. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cheers to an incredible series.

Can't remember the first episode I watched, but I know one of my favorites is Almost Got 'Im.

7. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    I have quite a few faves:

Almost Got'em
    The Man Who Killed Batman
    Nothing to Fear
    The Underdwellers
    See No Evil
    Feat of Clay
    Mudslide (recently added)
    Any villian-esque redemption episodes (Harley's Holiday, Birds of a Feather, Riddler's Reform)
    Joker's favor
    Trial
    If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?
    Heart of Steel
    His Silicon Soul
    What is Reality?
    Joker's Wild

Not in any real order and well, the list goes on. :D 

jD001

8. Dolza_Khyron

yea most of those are my favorite episodes too.

i also like;
    The Forgotten
    Two-Face 1 and 2; but especially 1. love how it focuses a lot on harvey dent. and he doesn't just suddenly become two-face. but it's more of a slow turn, into the villain that he will become. i also loved how they had him as Dent in a few episodes before that too.
    Heart of Ice; this episode made me LOVE mr freeze as a villain.
    Beware the Grey Ghost; I love how they got Adam West to play the inspiration to batman. i also love how the title inspired the new batman series as well. "Beware the Batman."
    Appointment in Crime Alley
    Robin's Reckoning; what i think are the best episodes with robin in it.
    Perchance to Dream; i love how they don't tell you who is behind this all, until the end, even if they do hint at you with the music in the background. it is just such a great mystery episode.
    Night of the Ninja and Day of the Samurai; both are really great episodes. it's too bad that Kyodai Ken wasn't in any more episodes. he was a great villain.
    I Am the Night; batman considers quitting. such a great episode. it really goes into some dark areas for a cartoon.
    Shadow of the Bat and batgirl returns; i love the batgirl in this series. and i was really happy when batgirl became a regular character in the last season.

however that is one of the only things i liked about the third season. i was never too big of a fan of the redesigns. especially ones like the scarecrow. they tried to make him look scarier, but in my opinion, he just looked goofier.
    and catwoman became basically a big black glob of paint on the screen.
    tim drake was pretty fun though.

oh but i loved Legends of the Dark Knight, that was such a great episode. i love how they explored the different myths and conceptions of who batman is, via kids. especially loved the dark knight returns part.

9. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    How could I forget Heart of Ice?! I mean I wrote the list continues but still...!

jD001

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    What was your total damage on the series? Is this still hard to find on DVD?

I've been wanting go purchase this set for quite a while. I probably can't this year, but I hope that the 20th here can bring us something cool :) 

11. Dolza_Khyron

they took a nothing villain, and turned him into a cold hearted, chilling, yet sympathetic character. in many of the other incarnations of the character he is mostly just a thief. heck in The batman, that was all he was. and as that, he's just a mediocre villain with an ice theme. one of what? five DC has?

it separated him from the others, and gave him an actual motive for the things he did. and the character evolves through out the series.

they also took two other characters who were basically nothing, the scarecrow, and the mad hatter, and also made them amazing villains. giving them actual motives. revenge and love/jealousy.

which is why i like the use of the mad hatter in that dream episode. He was willing to just keep batman in that dream world forever, just to keep him from ruining his life/plans.

scarecrow has that episode where he made batman so delusional, that he basically goes nuts and ends up in the asylum for most of the episode, with the doctors thinking he turned himself in, and finally went mad.

to me what was the best part of batman the animated series, was not batman himself, but how well it treated the side characters, the villains, the mayor, the commissioner, the cops not being totally completely useless like they are in most shows. although the security guards often were just red shirts waiting to be murdered! :lol 

12. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Say Dolza do you like it that Bruce Timm knows how to design foxy ladies like her, Ivy, Harley and Talia? i do and Catwoman with Ivy were always comic character crushes i had since i was 8 reading the comics including Talia then later Harley when i was 11.

Ok here's my top 36 fave episodes:

1. The Forgotten.
    2. Almost Got Em.
    3. Heart of Ice.
    4. Feat of Clay.
    5. Two-Face.
    6. Joker's Favor.
    7. Appointment in Crime Alley.
    8. Mad Love.
    9. Perchance to Dream.
    10. Batgirl Returns.
    11. Legends of the Dark Knight.
    12. Old Wounds.
    13. Over The Edge.
    14. Beware the Grey Ghost.
    15. Blind as a Bat.
    16. Demon's Quest.
    17. Heart of Steel.
    18. His Silicon Soul.
    19. Catwalk.
    20. Ivy and Harley.
    21. Cult of the Cat.
    22. Harley's Holiday.
    23. The Last Laugh.
    24. Make Em Laugh.
    25. If your So Smart Why Aren't you Rich.
    26. The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne.
    27. Shadow of the Bat.
    28. Growing Pains.
    29. Christmas with the Joker.
    30. Trial.
    31. Read my Lips.
    32. Joker's Wild.
    33. Tyger Tyger.
    34. Holiday Knights.
    35. Bane.
    36. Laughing Fish.

Batman "On Leather Wings" Fox promo - YouTube
    Promo to On Leather Wings.
    Who remembers this episode when it had a sneak preview episode on Fox? i did and boy it delivered, it was a neat free sample episode

Batman "The Forgotten" Fox promo - YouTube
    My fave episode ever! i tell you Fox did neat promos to this show. Loved this episode since it first aired and me and my bigger brother watched it, the music is very memorable here as it has a bluesy western feel and the episode is like Coolhand Luke with Batman. The villain Boss Biggus is quite funny i should say as he reminded me of b-movie actor Pat Ryan Jr. from The Toxic Avenger, Street Trash and Class of Nuke'Em High, the episode was intense as well and explored a little deeper into Bruce's mind a bit.

Batman "I've Got Batman in My Basement" Fox promo - YouTube
    crappy episode to introduce Penguin as it was too much like Home Alone starring Batman. But when anyone first saw this episode, noticed how Penguin looked like Batman Returns's version? i did when i saw promos to it cause i did saw Batman Returns the same year and i knew Penguin would look like his movie version. Anyone thinks Paul Williams was terrific as Penguin?

Batman "The Cat and the Claw" Fox promo - YouTube
    Batman "The Cat and the Claw Part Two" Fox promo - YouTube
    Nice episode, the first episode to be broadcasted on September 6th and i remembered thinking "Whoa man they are gonna introduce my comic character dreamgirl to the show" then i noticed when she took her cowl, she was blonde and i thought "Wow she looks like Pfeifer's version and hot too". Afterall WB did forced Bruce Timm in december 1990 and 1991 during production of the show to make Selina look like Pfeifer and Penguin look like Devito to tie in with the movies at the time yet it worked like a charm for the first 3 seasons but Timm went back to the old designs in seasons 4 and 5. But still Selina looked like a 50's playboy model here and even my bigger brother liked her besides Ivy and Harley. Adrienne Barbeau was terrific as Selina/Catwoman who agrees? afterall we know her from Creepshow, Swamp Thing, Escape from New York, The Fog (1980) and more and who thinks Red-Claw was a rip-off of Baroness from GI Joe?

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I haven't seen Batman TAS since I saw 6 or 7 so I don't remember any of the episodes. It's weird because at the time, I watch them all so many times, I was sick of kidsWB showing it all the time. The Joker episodes were better than I remembered. Of all the episodes, those were the ones I was most sick of.

14. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    The best cartoon of the 90s, and I was 3 when it aired. :lol 

15. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    "Heart of ice", and "Over the edge" are the best episodes of the whole series IMO.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I still can't believe I have even gotten around to watching this show completley.

:bday 

17. Dolza_Khyron

yea i like the earlier version of females in that show better, really disliked the newer designs. but what i really didn't like about the newer designs, and the superman designs too. were the really really huge shoulders.

superman looked like superman, even as clark kent.

and that was a big problem to me. clark looked like a big muscle guy.

and so did batman, with his shoulders reaching far out.

while the girls had small shoulders, and really small waists that looked like they'd break in half.

plus tiny feet.

so i am not a big fan of the redesigns.

i loved justice league, but i was not too big of a fan of the designs there either.

18. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I feel old now.

19. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    Such an amazing series!
    Rewatched it about 2 years ago and it totally holds up, even today.

First episode I ever watched was 'I've got Batman in my basement'. One of the weaker episodes but it still managed to pull me in.

Wish WB would do something to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

20. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Well there are some enjoyable designs for the 4th and 5th seasons like Selina Kyle, she did went back to dark hair after she found out her hair dye was made from animal and her eyes turned blue but she still looks fine. Do you remember the Cult of the Cat episode? at the end of that episode she was basking in her success even in night-clothes, i was 17 when i saw that episode on WB and thought "Hot damn she looks mighty fine in those clothes" and was fantasizing about her, she looks like Natassia Kinski from 1982's Cat People in some ways with her design and look.

Harley looks the same as usual but Ivy looked different being literally green and all, Joker looked like an Animaniac/Muppet don't you think? they literally made Croc look like a Croc there. Bruce's eyes turned blue suddenly from brown and he looked like a buffed Pilssbury Doughboy.

I didn't mind the designs for Justice League and Superman TAS, they were fine.

So do i.

Batman "Pretty Poison" Fox promo - YouTube
    Ah yes the debut of every fanboy's fave plant babe Poison Ivy, i was happy to see her on the show as i knew she would be there.

Batman "Eternal Youth" Fox promo - YouTube
    Did this episode reminded anyone of the film Troll 2 in some way? i rented that movie at the same day i saw this episode and began to notice how similar they are at times. I mean same plot about wicked people who trap tourists in a deadly place where they are offered hospitality and food with drinks that make them into plants. But if only Batman came equipped with double decker bologna sandwiches to ward off the enemies like in that movie, LOL.

Batman "Heart of Ice" Fox promo - YouTube
    Ah yes the episode that won an emmy and deserved it too! i remembered how i was intrigued that Mr. Freeze would be on this show since he is one of my fave villains in the comics and 60's show as this show made him more serious and a tragic figure, i watched this with my bigger brother when it first aired on Fox and i remembered crying a bit at the end as i felt the character's pain. What an ingenious episode no doubt and my 3rd fave episode ever.

Batman "Two-Face" Fox promo - YouTube
    Batman "Two-Face Part II" Fox promo - YouTube
    Ah yes the episode that introduced the character Two-Face after we were already introduced to Harvey Dent with the free sample episode on Leather Wings and a few others. Who else thought Richard Moll was perfection as the characters? i do and he's been one of my fave actors since watching Nightcourt at 4 and seeing House (1986) in theaters, i always check the credits of the show whenever i tape every episode of this show to see who are the voices and it's Moll aka Bull Shannon. He even used his Big-Ben from House voice as Two-Face.

Batman "Appointment in Crime Alley" Fox promo - YouTube
    Excellent episode and my 7th fave episode ever. My bigger brother and mom with me watched this episode and they loved it, it's my mom's second fave episode after "It's Never Too Late" and who else noticed Nitro was voiced by the same man who played the Weasel on Who Framed Roger Rabbit? i did cause i did saw that movie in theaters as a kid and i noticed how it's the same voice actor David Lander.

Batman "Feat of Clay" Fox promo - YouTube
    Batman "Feat of Clay Part Two" Fox promo - YouTube
    Kick-ass episode and Ron Perlman was absolutely perfect as Matt Hagen/Clayface, he's always been one of my fave actors since i watched the Beauty and The Beast show as a kid and i noticed it's his voice. TMS kicked ass with the animation on this episode and they now how to make quality TV animation and some nice animated films, isn't that right? even Clayface reminds me of Tetsuo's mutation from Akira with the blob style and who thought Ed Asner was great as Dagget? and did anyone else think of Roland Reagan when Matt is deformed?

Batman "Almost Got 'Im" Fox promo - YouTube
    Oh yes, the fan fave episode and the most talk about episode ever. I remembered watching this with my mom and bigger brother in the living room and how we had a blast watching the episode, we all laughed at Croc's talk about rocks with everyone looking all stoned. My second fave episode ever.