Batman & Superman: Earth One

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Optimus1986, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Hey, mods, I couldn't find a thread about this, but if there is one already, please merge, close, or whatever.

I'm very excited for this. I was too young to appreciate Byrne's re-launch of Superman, so I'm so glad I'll get to experience something similar. Thoughts?

Batman and Superman to be rebooted by Johns and Straczynski in 2010

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Old news, I think there is a thread somewhere.

3. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I have no interest in yet another take on Clark's quest to become Superman. I'm a big Superman fan, but to basically rehash the same story they're not even done telling with Secret Origin is just ridiculous.

I'm more interested in the Batman book, if only because of the pairing of Johns and Frank.

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I think I may pick up the Superman book, but I don't think even Johns can get me interested in Batman at this point. Though, a new take on the character may be worth picking up. Superman is interesting, though. How much can/will JMS change him?

Anyways, speaking of Man of Steel/John Byrne's revamp, I'm really starting to get nostalgic for that era. I never really read too much of it, but it's still the Superman I'm most familiar with and interested in. I've been listening to a podcast from the Superman Homepage (From Crisis to Crisis) and damn... now I need cash to pick those back issues up!

5. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

It's also my favorite Superman reboot. The stories are good and it requires Superman to do more than just punch stuff, which is all today's readers want to see him do for some reason. Plus, Byrne really put a lot of the focus on Clark, which gave him some depth and moved him away from the bumbling doofus of the past. In the last few years, DC has reissued the era in a series of trade paperbacks. I think the last one was volume 6.

6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Not interested in a reboot. I like the characters as they are, with their decades of history. I understand the idea of trying to make them approachable for new readers and the desire to do something new with them, but I'd rather not lose all the 'baggage' since I enjoy it so much.

So this approach won't be for me.

7. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Thankfully this won't be in continuity with the main titles. Good thing about having 52 universes, you can screw with things all you want.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Proof that not everybody in the DC spandex department is burying thier head in the sand and hoping that the direct market crowd will discover the secret of immortality and infinate wealth.

9. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Yeah, and I hope it's very successful for DC as well. It's just not something that interests me personally.

10. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I can roll with this being like a "Ultimates" approach to Superman and Batman. But then I guess that's what All-Star Superman and Batman was about too.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh that's good to hear! :D  Then yeah bring it on! I'll check it out.

12. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I was really interested in this, then they put JMS on Superman and now it just seems perfunctory. I like the idea of the format though, and Gary Frank could draw curtains and I'd pay to see it.
    I do think this is what DC should have done with All star Comics about 5 years ago though.

13. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Not that into either writer, so I'm gonna go ahead and give this a pass.

14. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I 100% agree.

15. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I might give the Batman series a shot. Im not a fan of Superman so that title holds no value for me. Not a big Batman fan either, but Geoff Jones writing it bumps the interest level up.

You'd be surprised at the people distressed over the Earth-1 label. Main-continuity DC is Earth-0 according to Final Crisis.Gotta say, the number makes no sense to me.