"Batman: Odyssey" discussion thread...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by payton34, Jul 9, 2010.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody pick up the first issue yesterday?

**possible spoilers**

This dialogue is a bit...out there. Sometimes it echoes the modern "grim" Batman level of stories, sometimes it's reminiscent of the 70's/80's work (pre-"Dark Knight Returns"), and sometimes (God help me) it reminds me of Frank Miller's horrible "All Star Batman & Robin". It just doesn't seem consistent.

Plus, it obviously takes place years ago because Dick Grayson is still a youngster, but he's wearing the Tim Drake Robin outfit. Plus, having Kirk Langstrom (aka Manbat) as a seemingly "house pet" is a bit odd.

But, in the end, I can overlook all of that because Neal Adams' artwork is still absolutely gorgeous to look at. The man hasn't lost a beat.

In the end, don't try to fit it into any type of continuity and enjoy it for what it is: A fun little "throwback"-type miniseries (so far) with some great Neal Adams artwork.

Anybody else check it out?

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I haven't checked it out, but the previews show Batman with a gun. That's not the way to convince me to buy it.

3. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I'm planning to buy the series, based solely on the fact that Neal Adams is drawing it.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I thought it was really weird, that is my only comment on it. I didn't really read it though, I just skimmed through it.

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I agree. The previews that they've been putting in the backs of the DC books about this just did not appeal to me, and the Batman using a gun thing really put the nail in the coffin of it.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm all over this when it reaches Absolute Edition. Neal Adams is instant win, doubly so if it also happens to be Batman.

7. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

If it's an alternate continuity then why would Batman using a gun be a problem? Nothing says that every iteration of Batman has to be a guy that doesn't believe in guns.

8. Switch625

I say that every iteration of Batman has to be a guy that doesn't believe in guns. A Batman that uses a gun isn't Batman. You change that, you change who Batman is at a core level and it isn't Batman anymore.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The very first incarnation of Batman EVER used a gun.

10. Switch625

The very first incarnation of Superman was basically Lex Luthor. Characters evolve from when they're first introduced into the standards they are today.

My point is, if someone wants to read about a gun-toting Batman, go right ahead. I choose not to.

11. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

Could you read this, and let me know what you think? I'd be curious to know.

12. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I got it yesterday. Stuff like the dialogue is iffy (which didn't surprise me, I've read the Continuity Comics stuff he put out back in the 90's) but I liked it more than I thought it would.

It's kind of like Adams is doing a "greatest hits" of his work in a way. The Batmobile resembles the one during the time he worked on Batman, Man-Bat has an appearance, Dick Grayson uses the Tim Drake costume--which Adams himself designed in the 90's. Talia and Deadman are supposed to appear later on, too.

As for the All Star Batman comparison, I think the Batman in here can be dickish, but not outright psychotic the way he was in All Star Batman. Incidentally, Frank Miller was originally supposed to script this comic.

13. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Not comparable--When they first published that it was for something else (a fanzine, I think) and was disregarded by the time they completely overhauled it for DC.

The early Batman stories on the other hand, were occasionally referred to over the decades (and considered part of the Earth-2 Batman's canon). That first incarnation of Superman was never acknowledged in the comics.

14. Switch625

I have read that before. I can see the appeal in telling a story about why Batman stopped using guns, but I don't acknowledge the fact that he used to use guns. Just like I don't acknowledge the fact that Superman didn't originally fly. I treat the original Batman with guns concept as a bad idea.

Disregarded or not, the first version of Superman is not the iconic version of Superman we all know today. The same goes for Batman.

15. payton34

News Credits:

The phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover" comes to mind.

There's more to it than just those images.

16. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I remember people bitching about the yellow weakness going away with the lantern rings. Same basic principle.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Iconic or not it is still Batman.

18. payton34

News Credits:
    Picked up the second issue yesterday. The action is ramped up a bit, the writing is a bit better, and there's also the promise of seing
    Ras Al Ghul
    in the future.

Also, Neal Adams' art is even more wonderful than the first issue.

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Read it last night. I liked the first issue, and this second one is definitely better.

The storyline really picks up the pace. I think I preferred the colouring in part one, but overall I found the art consistently good between them. One thing that was kinda clever was how the story opened and closed using the same page art.