Batman Movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by SaberPrime, Jul 26, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

The Batman movies have always been my favorite of the Comic Book movie adaptions, probably because of the rather large number of villains to appear in them.

Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Two-Face, Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Bane, Ra's al Ghul, Scarecrow, and Talia.

That being said I've decided to dedicate an entire thread topic to discussing ever Batman movie ever made!

The short version... here's all the movies from best to worst.

Batman Forever

Batman Begins

Batman Dark Knight Rises

Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

Batman Returns

Batman the Movie

Catwoman

Batman and Robin

Jonah Hex

The long version...

First off we have the oldest Batman movie which is not really comparable to the other movies because of the lighter comedic tone but just for fun I'm going to do it anyway... yup I'm talking about the Adam West made for TV movie.

This movie stars Adam West, Burt Ward, Lee Meriwether as a Catwoman NOT named Selina Kyle, Cesar Romero, Burgess Meredith, and according to IMDB Frank Gorshin even though I could swear it was John Austin. I think maybe there was an episode of the series with the same 4 villains in it that had John Austin and I got it confused for the movie. Anyway...

Ertha Kit I think was the best Catwoman of the series out of like what? Four different women who all played that same character. I don't really consider any of them "Catwoman" though cause she was never Selina Kyle so they're kinda all thrown into the same boat as Halle Berry. Although with as bad as that movie was Halle Berry can be the boat and float the others to dry land.

Cesar Romero is probably my second favorite Joker... oh this might be a good time to mention as I forgot earlier that I'm only covering live action movies, no animated movies here so Mark Hamill doesn't count. Sorry but Cesar even beat out Heath Ledger.

Burgess Meredith is my favorite for Penguin simply because... I'm a Pisces and seeing Danny DeVito eating a raw bloody fish just really grosses me out. I can't stand watching that scene.

And well, I'm a Jim Carrey fan so sorry Frank, you never stood a chance.

Not going into Adam West or Burt Ward for previously stated reasons. I just can not compare them to other Bruce Waynes or Chris O'Donnell.

So moving onto Batman staring Micheal Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

Micheal Keaton for a number of years was always regarded as the best Bruce Wayne/Batman though I always thought he was second best. His performance was great but I just don't think he looks right for the part. Also I've been wandering if he was ever considered to play the Joker because his performance as Beetlejuice could work just as well for Joker.

Jack Nicholson is the Joker though and what an amazing Joker he is. This is why I don't like Heath Ledger. The movie already had a dark tone here and Jack pulled off a dark clown very nicely. Heath was too much dark and not enough clown.

Batman Returns staring Micheal Keaton again, the previously mentioned Danny DeVito, and Michelle Pfeiffer the first to actually play Catwoman.

I've already mentioned my being creeped out by Danny's performance as Penguin but other than that one scene I can't stand to watch he was actually a really convincing Penguin. Though in recent years Penguin has been portrayed as more of a "Lex Luthor" type villain despite his known criminal record in the past some how he managed to gain some social standing. I'd really like to see that version of Penguin portrayed in live action because he's far more interesting that way.

Michelle Pfeiffer was the only Catwoman in my opinion sense she was the only Selena Kyle on the big screen, that is until Dark Knight Rises. I'll get to her later, all I'll say to now is sorry Michelle but you've been outdone.

Batman Forever starring Val Kilmer remember that name please because no one ever seems to, Chris O'Donnell, Tommy Lee Jones, and Jim Carrey.

Val Kilmer despite only playing Batman/Bruce Wayne in one movie deserves more credit than he gets. I like him more than Micheal Keaton but not as much as Christian Bale.

Chris O'Donnell is an older Robin sense I think Dick Grayson was originally 13 when he became Robin but this is far more realistic. Plus I like the references to his future persona. When he's coming up with a name for himself one of the names he says is "Nightwing" and his costumes in the "Batman and Robin" have the bird across his chest like the Nightwing costume.

Tommy Lee Jones looks like crap but his performance was great. If only they had made him green instead of purple. He still wouldn't look at good as Aaron Eckhart but at least he'd be more accurate that way.

Jim Carrey... is Jim fricken Carrey... what more do I need to say?

Batman and Robin was crapped out by George Clooney, Chris O'Donnell, Alica Silverstone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Uma Therman, according to IMDB even though they were never credited in the original movie Michael Reid MacKay and Jeep Swenson.

George Clooney should never be let near any comic book based movie ever again. He was playing a character who's parent's were killed, who's best friend just died in the previous movie, and who raised him after his parents where killed was dieing and he was smiling the whole damn time.

Alica Silverstone is hot but she was suppose to be Commissioner Gordon's daughter not Alfred's Niece. I hate change just for the sake of change.

Arnold Schwarzenegger is the best part of this whole movie. He's the only one who was actually accurate to the character he was playing. People really shouldn't complain about him when there are so many other things wrong with this movie.

Uma Therman, I don't think is that attractive. She looks fake and to me fake means probably use to be a man. Plastic surgery is not your friend.

Michael Reid MacKay and Jeep Swenson both played Bane. Micheal was the little guy who would become Bane and Jeep was the huge guy. Neither were created for the part when the movie originally came out either because someone made a mistake or they knew how badly they screwed up Bane and didn't want to be known as the worst Bane ever. In terms of the look of the character and the source of his power he's pretty accurate but what they screwed up was that Bane is not an idiot.

Before I get to Christan Bale lets take a look at the spin off movie Catwoman starring Halle Berry.

It has a lot of the same problems as Electra had. It's an excuse to watch a hot woman dressed in skimpy leather outfits and nothing more. There's no plot what so ever lets move on.

Batman Begins, originally written as a Smallville type story about Bruce Wayne before Batman (and this was told to me directly by Larry Franco who produced the movie) starring Christan Bale, Liam Neeson, and Cillian Murphy.

Christan Bale actually played the part of Bruce Wayne/Batman for the entire franchise. He's by far the best.

Liam Neeson looks so much like Ra's al Ghul was just ripped out of the comic book that I knew who he was before it was even revealed in the movie. The only issue I had was them never mentioning his immortality.

Cillian Murphy was the one bad thing about this movie. Johnathan Crane/Scarecrow was more of a plot device than an actual character.

Before I movie onto the Dark Knight movies lets take some time away for another spin off you probably didn't even know was a spin off. Jonah Hex starring Josh Brolin.

What does Jonah Hex have to do with Batman? He's Ra's al Ghul's son. Of course this is never mentioned in any of the movies and Jonah Hex is such an unknown character anyway that it's amazing he even got a movie which sucked anyway though Josh was a very very convincing Jonah Hex it just lacked any sense of source material, plot, character, or anything really. Moving on...

Batman The Dark Knight starring Christian Bale, Cillian Murphy, the late Heath Ledger, and Aaron Eckhart.

Let me just say that Scarecrow wasn't any better in this movie than he was in the last movie and move onto some villains that actually matter.

Heath Ledger though he has some moments I liked. The cops going threw his many knifes, the pencil trick, the "Hit me" scene which actually just plays off the original with Jack Nicholson. There's nothing that really stands out here. Like I almost would of liked him better if he were the Riddler because he was too serious of a character to be the Joker and Joker once in a cartoon said Riddler was ripping off his style to which Riddler replied "They're riddles, not jokes."

Aaron Eckhart was a total change from the original Two-Face. He's suppose to be friends with Bruce Wayne and he had multiple personality disorder which is why he had the coin sense he could never make his own mind about things. This one just really made no sense, he was good and then some how Joker drove him to be evil. Joker had nothing to do with his original origin. The one thing I will give them credit for is that Two-Face was always meant to be a burn victim or in some cases just had acid thrown on his face but in either case it never made sense why he would still have hair and turn green, or in the case of Tommy Lee Jones, purple. This Two-Face is by far the best looking incarnation of Two-Face EVER. And I carry a prop replica of his coin around in my wallet.

Finally we have, The Dark Knight Rises starring Christian Bale for the 3rd time in a row, Joseph Gordon-Levitt who is the only one that is not a main character who I will mention ever for reasons explained later, Liam Neeson again thankfully, Josh Pence, Cillian Murphy who despite being in all three movies still does nothing, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway who is taking a break from her usual chick flicks, and Marion Cotillard.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt... wait he's a guy why is his last name hyphenated? It's also funny because Gordon is a character in the movies. Anyway, Blake is a character who in the comics only appeared as a little kid who for some reason Joker steals his home work and makes him cry. In the movie though
    it's hinted at that he becomes Batman after Bruce Wayne ends up getting married to Selena Kyle. This is rather odd sense he isn't Dick Grayson and never became Robin or Nightwing first.

Liam Neeson and Josh Pence both play Ra's al Ghul which is a bit odd sense he wouldn't actually have aged at all. Josh plays a younger Ra's who appears in a flash back. As previously stated Ra's al Ghul is really really old, he's been around sense the 1800's, maybe longer and hasn't aged in all that time. They fix the problem I had with him in the first movie. Bruce see's Ra's and says "I saw you die." and Ra's says something about immortality.

Cillian Murphy doesn't wear the Scarecrow mask in this movie but instead kinda reminds me of the judge Quintesson from the 1986 Transformers movie. Being that he doesn't actually do anything as Scarecrow... ever... in all 3 movies he is by far the worst super villain ever to appear in a live action movie. I don't know how you can have 3 movies and still not do a damn thing. He's not a character, he's a plot device. They use him to fill time when they don't have anything better to move the plot along.

Tom Hardy was an excellent Bane. The fact that he's louder than everyone else was a little off putting at first but it kinda makes him a little creepy in a good way. I don't like the mask but he was portrayed more accurately to how Bane should be so I can over look it.
    I was expecting Batman to take his mask off at some point and for him to shrink down to a little skinny guy but sadly that never happened. He did however break Batman's back which happens in the comics so that was pretty cool and will probably never happen in a cartoon.

Ann Hathaway as Catwoman was amazing. I thought I was going to hate her because every movie she's been in till now has been a bunch of chick flicks... or at least every movie I was made to watch her in by ex-girlfriends.
    It was also nice to see the movie ending with her and Bruce together. The movie hinted at the fact that they were married so now they can have a couple of kids, Helena and Damion?
    This spoiler is really more of a speculation isn't it? Ah well I'm still putting the tags on, read at own risk.

And finally
    Marion Cotillard
    who I really can't say anything about without spoiler tags so...
    She plays Talia, Ra's al Ghul's daughter and Jonha Hex's younger sister. The villain that no one even knew was going to be in this movie and was actually behind everything. She was never a main villain in the cartoon, just a henchman for her father but in this movie it seems her and Bane are too extreme even for Ra's. She spends most of the movie going under a fake name and trying to date Bruce which her having the hots for Bruce is true to character so Bruce had two villains in the same movie who both love him... but he never liked Talia.

2. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Ok here is my opinion on the Batman movies. From best to worst...

1 The Dark Knight
    2 Batman Begins
    3 The Dark Knight Rises
    4 Batman (1989)
    5 Batman Forever (1995) /Batman: the movie (1966)
    6 Batman Mask of the Phantasm
    7 Batman Returns
    8 Batman and Robin (1997)

NOTE* The movies listed are only the ones released in theaters and the original serials from the 40's are not listed because i haven't full seen Bat-man (1943) and while i have fully watched Batman and Robin (1949) i don't feel discussing it fully.

Reviews:

The two 40's serials are good for what they are and would recommend Batman and Robin (1949) to hardcore Batman fans. While I've only seen about 1/3 of the 1943 movie it was a good old movie.

Batman: the movie: Is a campy cheesy movie but fun to watch and is defiantly worth watching. Adam West is a great silver age Batman.

Batman (1989): If you asked me two weeks ago i would call this the best Batman movie but... after rewatching the Nolan Batman series with TDKR now its now #4 after the three Nolan's. This is because Batman origin is not really shown. He dosent say he Batman because of his parent death he says he just feels he must. Now this movie is still great but has its problems that put it behind. Also although Michael Keaton did a great job acting he doesn't convince me physicaly to actually be Batman. I know thats strange but still this is a good movie but has some annoying flaws.

Batman Returns: What hurts this movie is Batman has no focus for the first half of the movie and that makes the movie really boring.

Batman Forever: was a good stand alone movie but as part of the first two it gets screwed over because of that. I mean recasting your main character doesn't makes sense. I know why that happened but anyways as a stand alone it was good. Val Kilmer was a good Batman.

Batman and Robin ('97) It SUCKS! Beside Arnold and Alfred this movie is horrible.

Batman Begins: Is a great origin movie. It actually shows why he is Batman and his reasons.

The Dark Knight: Is a great realistic comic Book movie.

TDKR: Was a great was to end the Nolan series. But Batman just didn't get enough screen time which makes it fall short. But its defiantly a great film.

All together Bale my favorite Batman because he in all three movies of the Nolan's unlike the last series which had 3 actors for 4 movies. Also he is a convincing Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Straight to video/DVD movies:

1 Batman: Under the Red Hood
    2 Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    3 Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
    4 Batman: Year One
    5 Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero
    6 The Batman vs. Dracula

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Did you seriously put Forever as best? Good Lord...

1. The Dark Knight
    2. The Dark Knight Rises
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Batman (1989)
    5. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    6. Batman Returns
    7. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    8. Batman and Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
    9. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    10. Batman and Robin
    11. Batman Forever

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Just leaving this here.
    [​IMG]

5. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is how I see it

1. TDKR
    2. TDK
    3. Batman (1989)
    4. Batman Begins
    5. Batman Returns
    6. Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker
    7. Batman Forever
    8. Batman and Robin

I haven't seen enough of the recent animated movies to judge them.

6. Primal1987

Primal1987 Creator Of The OptiBrony

News Credits:
    1. Batman Begins
    2. The Dark Knight Rises
    3. The Dark Knight
    4. Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker
    5. Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm
    6. Batman (1989)
    7. Batman Returns
    8. Batman: Under The Red Hood
    9. Batman (1966)
    10. Batman Forever
    11. Batman and Robin

7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

1.Batman Returns
    2.Batman ( 1989 )
    3.Batman Forever
    4.Batman ( 1966 )
    5.Batman & Robin
    6.The Dark Knight
    7.Batman Begins

I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises as I can't be bothered with more of the same dreary "real world" BS.

8. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    I'd much prefer Jim Carrey's Riddler too. And Arnold's Freeze and growling Bane.

9. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Tim Burton's Batman
    3. Batman Returns
    4. Batman Begins
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. Batman: Year One
    7. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    8. Batman: Mask of Phantasm
    9. Batman Beyond: Return of Joker
    10. The Batman vs. Dracula
    11. Adam West Batman
    12. Anything else with the Batman name
    13. Batman Forever
    14. Batman and Robin

I had a hard time rating the first 5. To me the Christopher Nolan trilogy and the Tim Burton two are both fantastic in their own ways.
    But I absolutely loathe Forever and Batman and Robin.

10. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    3. Batman Begins
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Batman (1989)
    6. Batman Returns
    7. Batman (1966)

...and then I stop caring.

I only include Phantasm because it was a theatrical release. If I were including the DCAU movies; Year One, Under the Red Hood, and BB: Return of the Joker, would all rank very well on my list.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  Jonah Hex is not Ra's Al Ghul's son.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    WTF?

13. ABH1979

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    The B:TAS episode "Showdown" must have confused him somehow.

14. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    A lot. Because there wasn't even a hint of it in that episode.

15. ABH1979

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I know, but it's the only interaction between the two characters that I know of. In fact, that was my first introduction to Hex.

16. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Big Green Dead?

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Arkady Duvall.

17. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    I just watched it a few weeks ago. While both characters are there, no hinting at a father/son thing is even in the episode. So I don't know where he got the idea.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Jonah was looking for Ra's' son in The Animated Series but other than that I have no idea where he got this from.

Ra's only son (not Hex) died. This is why he was hoping Bruce Wayne would be his successor one day.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Oh.

20. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

From best to worst:
    1. Batman Begins
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
    4. Batman: Under the Red Hood
    5. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    6. Batman (1989)
    7. Batman Subzero
    8. Batman Forever
    9. Batman Returns
    10. Batman (1966)
    11. Batman and Robin

NOTE: I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises yet so I can't put it on the list yet.