Batman comics based off the Animated series?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SPLIT LIP, Nov 17, 2009.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As a fan of the Animated series, I know there are comics based off it (written/edited by Paul Dini, art by Bruce Timm, etc...) and I already have the Mad Love Graphic Novel. (which had two of it's stories adapted into episodes) I've seen TPBs for Batman Adventures, as well as a miniseries called "Harley and Ivy." Are these any good compared to what I have, and which would you recommend I look for first?

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Dini's run on Detective Comics is basically the stuff they couldn't get away with on the TV show, so you may want to check that out.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Are they actually in the series' continuity? I like Dini's writing, but I'm really only after stuff that's part of the cartoon's style and setting.

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Think it was called Batman Adventures and then maybe Gotham Knights. Never read it aside from Mad Love though. There is also supposed to be a new Batman Beyond mini coming out soon, I'm looking forward to that.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    There's four different series:

Batman Adventures
    Batman & Robin Adventures
    Batman: Gotham Knights
    Fourth series whose title I can't remember right now.

Adventures was awesome and did a lot of stories that simply couldn't have worked on TV. B&R and Gotham Knights were the same thing, updated for each new iteration of the show, and the fourth series was set after the end of the animated series, with Penguin as the Mayor, Batman as an outlaw, Harvey Bullock fired and so forth. Really cool plot idea that worked well as an overarching story, but cut short when the series was cancelled in favour of The Batman instead.

Generally I found all the DCAU comics to be very readable and enjoyable. Mad Love is one of the very best of them, but there are more than a few gems in the main series too. I'd say it is worth checking out.

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

No, not really.

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I find that the "Adventures" comics (the comics based on the DCAU and in its visual style) were often superior than the canonical stories. Each of these books contained a lot of personality, a distinct visual style, and a story that begins and ends in 22 pages while leaving room open for over-arching plot lines. I can't say this for many in-continuity DC comics.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Adventures" from the early 1990s was really good. There were at least two TPBs put out at the time (Vol 1 and 2, funny enough). I have them, but haven't read them for years. Remember them being really good - short, sharp and to the point.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can't find any of the trades -anywhere. :( 

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Harley and Ivy was great, and a lot more adult than you'd think.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Honestly, do not let non-adventure books stop you. These are some fantastic stories. I can't remember what thread but I posted all the Dini Detective books before. Also, because I know you love Harley, get Sirens. It's main DCU but completely revolves around Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman and written by Dini. Seriously, you'll love it.

Also for Batman Animated books, Batman Beyond had a miniseries and an ongoing.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I probably will look into them in the future, but as of now I'm only looking to fill the gaps in pre-Beyond Batman DCAU. Though I'm sure it won't take much looking for which Detective comics Paul Dini wrote. Any recommendations? I'll wait for the "Sirens" TPB next year before I get to lookign up. (not a huge Catwoman fan)

Whoop, red flag. The "A" word usually means it's either excessively gorey, or unnecessarily heavy on innuendo. (still, others would call "Mad Love" adult, and I love that story)

13. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

He did a FANTASTIC Joker Christmas story where he kidnaps Robin. Also a 2 parter with Zatanna.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    No, not in this case. I'd say its more of a PG rating, PG-13 tops, I just meant to say its not geared towards a young audience like the Batman Adventures comics seemed to be, while still having the Diniverse art-style. Its no more graphic or lewd than the average batman issue (and significantly less, if you're talking about anything Miller-related), and a lot more humorous.

And yeah, the Christmas issue ^^^ Wreckgar's talking about is absolutely amazing.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    There was a five issue series which bridged the gap between season 3 and 4 of the Timm / Dini Batman series. It told the story of why Dick left and became Nightwing and the growing distance between him and Bruce, that was a great series.

Did DC ever get around to doing the Batman beyond series they were on about? Not the one that tied in with the series, but they were on about doing a follow up mini?

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    What's this story called?

Also, Sidbeckett, I believe the new BB series is either coming out soon or ongoing now. I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    "Slayride", in Detective Comics #826. I don't know what it's been collected in, maybe one of the DC holiday compilations?

18. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

The only one's i read were the Lost Years which explain Dick Graysons transition from Robin to Nightwing, at least in the animated world.

19. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I found a collection at Borders the other day called Batman: Harley and Ivy. It was a TPB of collected issues from the Batman DCU Adventures run featuring everyone's favorite villianesses. Might be worth checking out.

I've heard that Lost Years story existed, sounded cool, but never been able to find it. Which issues was it? Was it a mini? Is it out in a TPB?

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As far as I know, a "The Lost Years" TPB does exist, and it was a miniseries. (like five issues or something)