Batman Beyond: ROTJ questions

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Watched ROTJ again, and i still wonder, since WB has treated the BB continuity so poorly, is ROTJ canon?

i have to say, even after several viewings, the whole Robin aspect at the end was extremely dark for the WB animated line.

also, it is confusing about Barbara Gordon at the end, which makes me think that her part makes the whole thing non-canon.
    (She's walking again.)

so is it or is it not canon?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The events of the DC Animated Universe don't follow what we read in the main line's comics, Jorod. The Joker never crippled Barbara in this continuity.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, DCAU has its own continuity including where Batman gets it on with Batgirl.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

ROTJ was even referenced in the Justice League Unlimited episode, Epilogue, where Terry McGinnis learns of his true lineage.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    All the DC AU cartoons (Batman TAS, Superman, JL / JLU and Batman Beyond) are in continuity with each other. They are a different continuity to the comics.

(Pity the recent run of multiple Earths couldn't confirm the AU events as being their own Earth, even if the artstyle was standardised).

6. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

what i want to know is just how exactly the joker managed to create a copy of his living mind/personality/memmories psyche and succeeded in uploading it into tim drakes subconscious mind

basicly what i am asking is this

did the joker ever truly die in the sense that his soul crossed over to the afterlife when his original body died

did his soul simply take up residence in the living sample of his dna he used to geneticly pre-primed that nanotechnology he stole from project cadmus which he used on tim drake

was it merely a case of high tech voodoo as it were when it comes to the dna programmed nanotechnology having transformed tim drake into being a true clone of the original joker that had the mind memmories and personality of the orignal joker but not actually having the jokers soul in the sense that in the sense that the timdrake joker clone was merely a living ghost as it were of the original joker

or did the joker literally succeed in ressurecting himself in the sense that while his orignal body died his mind and soul itself took up residence in tim body with the jokers nanotechnology and the digital copy of the jokers mind made it so that the joker for a time literally existed as a cancer like virus that over the years geneticly rewrote tim drakes dna into being that of the jokers original body

in short was it merely a case of the ghost in the machine as it were or not?

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I took it as just a copy. When the Joker died, he did die. It wasn't his mind being moved over to Tim. So the copy would have all Joker's memories so for it, it would think he had a full life.

8. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Simple answer, yes. Long answer, no.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Static Shock and Zeta Project are also part of the DCAU.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    DNA transfer =/= soul transfer. This opinion of mine is somewhat influenced by my disbelief in the existence of souls, but that's another story.

11. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

As others have said, DC Animated is a different continuity than the comics.

To GENOZAUR's question, again as others have said/suggested: The Microchip Joker implanted on Tim Drake I believe only had a copy of the Joker's brain patterns and DNA sample so it could 'transform' Drake into a basic copy of Joker, but this recreation was in no way the original Joker. The original Joker died, and Tim Drake was just a 'host' for a technological recreation.

12. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Did those shows have cameos of Batman?

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Static teamed up with Batman and Robin, yes.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for the help.
    WB's treatment of the series confused me a bit.

it is interesting that the DCAU touches upon the main comic's canon ("Over the Edge" with Barbara getting offed- even in a dream sequence) but i always hated the whole Batgirl becomes Oracle thing.

so I like the DCAU continuity.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And Static was in a future JLA with Terry McGinnis/Batman, creepy kid Green Lanturn, and John Stuarts kid Hawkman in a JLU episode.

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Your disbelief is flat out wrong in terms of the DCU and DCAU. Characters like Hawkman, Doctor Fate, Deadman and the Specter have pretty well confirmed the existance of the soul.

However, you are correct in that in no case has there been anything about the soul that has been linked to DNA or memory engrams.

17. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Actually the kid green lantern wasn't in that one. He was in an episode of Batman Beyond that had Superman in it. Everything else is right about the JLU episode though.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Zeta Project was a spin-off of Batman Beyond. Zeta debuted in BB, and I believe there were one or two episodes of ZP where Terry made an appearance. Also a third season episode of BB where Zeta made a reappearance.

19. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    This is what is cannon to the DCAU:

Batman the Animated Series (First series chronologically and presented first)
    Mask of the Phantasm (Origin story and Phantasm reappears in Epilogue)
    SubZero (Continued in TNBA)
    Superman the Animated Series (Batman had been operating during the time when Clark was just starting)
    The New Batman Adventures (This includes various crossovers with Superman.)
    Mystery of the Batwoman (Beginning of Batman/ Batgirl relationship)
    Static Shock (Season Two had Batman and Robin teaming up with Virgil to defeat the Joker. Season Three had Bats and Virgil teaming up against Poison Ivy and Harley. Also around this time are crossovers with Batman Beyond, Green Lantern, and Justice League)
    Justice League (Takes place after Superman, as shown by the mistrust of Superman)
    During this time we have the Batman Adventures Volume Two Comic. Every series had a comic, but this one is worth mentioning. Penguin is Mayor, Joker has been treated by Electro Shock Therapy, though it doesnt last long, Poison Ivy "dies" though it turned out the real Ivy was in Florida and the Ivy in Gotham was a plant thing, Riddler reforms, Penguin's election was revealed to have been set up by the Clock King to ruin Mayor Hill, Bullock becomes a detective, Nightwing goes to Bludhaven, Phantasm is hired by Black Mask, a pre powered Plastic Man appears in Black Masks gang and finds a friend in Matches Malone, Black Masks gang is led by the Red Hood (Identity unknown but is related to the Valestra Crime family somehow) Freeze and Nora are reunited though his head is lost in the artic only to be found by Paxon-Powers, and Batman finally meets Joe Chill in the final issue, though he doesnt even know it.
    JLU (Direct followup of JL)
    After JLU we have the RotJ flashback.
    Batman Beyond (In the future. Superman is the only original member on the JL. Bane, Ras, Talia, and Freeze appear)
    Zeta Project (Spinoff of BB)
    Return of the Joker (Last of Batman's original rogues defeated, though Harley remains alive)
    Epilogue (Conclusion to DCAU)
    Far From Home (The episode of Justice League where Supergirl meets the Legion of Superheroes)

YouTube - Batman: On Leather Wings/Epilogue

20. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Static also had a team up with the Justice League in the present before they became JLU.