Batman #644 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DevilzFan, Sep 2, 2005.

1. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Anyone else read this last week? Last part of "War Crimes".

I was kind of shocked to find out Dr. Leslie Thompkins killed Stephane. The way Bruce confronted her though, excellent scene. I was a little disappointed he let her stay at the mission though. I was expecting him the haul her in, lifelong friend or not.

2. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

It was her being a lifelong friend that he gave her anywhere near as much leeway as he did. Her actions were completely inexcusable, and she knew it.

I was a little shocked to find out that it was her all along. Bruce has got to be feeling quite betrayed by this, and is going to be more paranoid than ever, seeing as how a close ally, who he probably considers as much family as he does Alfred, did something so heinous. He's going to be questioning those around him for sometime, just to see how far they'd go if they felt that the mission needed to end.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I thought it was a great twist actually. Moreso because Dr Leslie really hasn't been that popular recently. She comes in and out but really has no use. Making her a villain makes much beter sense. Now all they need to do is get her and Hush together.

4. DevilzFan

It seems the only person Bruce can trust these days, is himself. Possibly Alfred.

He can't trust the group of JL'ers who wiped his mind, he can't trust Clark, who seems to be easily mind controlled, he can't trust Diana, who's taken Max Lord's life, and now Leslie.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Don't forget Jason Todd

6. DarkAngelPrime

DarkAngelPrime Lawful Good

This is about the only place I've seen any good reaction to the end of "War Crimes." Over at the DC board, they were gathering pitchforks and torches, though they seem to bitch about everything over there. Personally, I was very struck by the final scene, but I can't help feeling it was a bad choice on DC's part, unless it's explained damned well in Infinite Crisis. Leslie wouldn't even let Zsasz die and has never shown any inclination to act the way she did. I'm not furious about it, but somehow I just can't buy it completely. It seemed like a bad way to treat one of Batman's longest standing supporting cast memebers. I'm still holding out hope though that Crisis will make everything right.

7. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

didnt alfred murder someone recently in gotham knights?

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

While I'm not likely to go out with the torch and pitchfork over this story, I also felt this story didn't make sense, given that 1) Leslie is a doctor who's known Bruce since at least when his parents were killed (and as mentioned wouldn't allow serial killer Zsasz to die), and 2) It seems nonsensical for a doctor to show Batman that he's endangering children by ALLOWING a sidekick to die.

There's a possibility that this could be a part of Infinite Crisis like the Jason Todd thing, so I'll wait and see how this goes, too.

9. DevilzFan

Here's food for thought. What if Steph's still alive and out of the country with Dr. Thompkins?

Devz loves Spoiler, and hates that she's dead.

10. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

What they're doing to Batman, and to pretty much all the DC cast is trying to get them back to their roots. That's the point of Infinite Crisis, is to get the characters back to what they used to be without messing with continuity(like Crisis on Infinite Earths) did. That's why they're taking out all of Batman's allies, so that he once again is the lone knight fighting a one man war.

And to clarify, Tompkins isn't a villian now, she's not out to kill Bruce or anything, she's just batshit insane.

11. DarkAngelPrime

DarkAngelPrime Lawful Good

I don't think she's insane. If I had to assign some psychological framework to what she did, I'd say that the stress and trauma of what happened during War Games had worn her down so much that what she did seemed like a good idea at the time. Stress and exhaustion from treating the casualties of three days of utter warfare in Gotham, coupled with the anger at Bruce for his undeniable role in it could have brought her to the point where she honestly thought at the time that what she was doing was right.

Looking at that scene between her and Bruce, you can tell she really regrets what she did, though still defending why she did it. She's wracked with guilt and self-hatred, hence her slavish obsession with atoning for it by working so hard in that African Red Cross camp. I definitely don't think she's nuts, though. She just made a terrible decision under horrific circumstances and will probably be haunted emotionally by it forever in somewhat the same way Bruce is haunted by his parents' murders.

I'm still not a fan of what they did, but if I had to make myself understand it, that's how I'd explain it.

12. DevilzFan

This is how I prefer Batman. The lone stalker in the night, tracking his prey. No help from anyone, just the world's greatest detective, and his abilities.

On a side note, like you said, getting characters back to their roots, it seems they're doing that in the latest Birds of Prey not that Barbara Gordon's going to be able to walk again.

13. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Sooo... next time an ostrich goes running by the camp and she's feeling suitably introspective... no, no, no, I'm not going there...

I've yet to read this, but I haven't seen any of the war crimes comics come into my comic store... which is weird, they usually get all the Batmans.

14. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Well, right...but it just seems really frivolous to do that to Tompkins. It almost reeks of Scarlet Witch; hey, here's a compassionate character that's been around for a long time, and has been one of the heroes, so let's have her go nuts! Yeah! Great twist!

I mean...I'd rather they KILLED Tompkins off instead of twisting her character in such a way.

Barbara's...going to be able to walk again...? Could this lead to a revived career as a Batgirl/Batwoman?

15. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

it's been a while since i read batman, is Steph, the Spoiler? from the Robin comics?

16. DevilzFan

Probably. Hopefully they'll get rid of, or kill off, the lameass Batgirl they currently have.

17. DevilzFan

Yup. :( 

18. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I personally hope they keep Cassandra Cain around in some form or fashion. I've been reading Batgirl for a while and I have to say I like the direction they are going with her as a character.

19. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Is there any possibility for her becoming a cold blooded killer and being cast out of the Batfamily..? :D ?

20. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

The last time i read the book steph was pregnant. I don't know if she kept it or not, but it is sad they'd kill off a character that has a child like that.........I mean they have a perfectly good Robin to abuse.