Customs: Basic Painting Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by aledromo, May 29, 2011.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

As in, I need help with the most basics of painting.

Inspired by 84Ironhide's spectacular DotM Sideswipe repaint, I tried to recreate the feat at home. Acrylic craft paints with a normal brush basically made a runny mess that at no point decided to enhance or even adhere to the plastic. I have no idea what I'm doing and before I court help from experts on the specifics of this project I realize I should probably find out the fundamentals of the repaint.

So please, anyone who's ever had any success repainting a TF: talk to me like I'm stupid and help me understand how to repaint a toy.

Thanks so much.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  3. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Exactly what I need (for now)! Thanks!

4. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Just started myself, and that introduction link is pure gold. Main thing I noticed is there is a HUGE difference between a transformer that has been washed and one that hasn't with how well it holds the paint. Not sure if everyone does it, but I prime my figures now with black, white, or a dull gray, depending on the color scheme I plan on using. Finally, if using a brush, use very small amounts of paint, almost dry brush everything. If you have to, paint it 2 or 3 times, but when painting, less is more if you want a nice thin / complete paint job.

Oh, and be sure to have plenty of alcohol available to clean your brushes and mess ups paint wise. Pretty sure I used more alcohol than paint the first go around. :) 

5. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

I just started as well, I repainted a ROTF figure for my daughter and I scuffed it with a
    3M scotch pad and brushed the paint on, it cam out ok, she loved it so all is good. I turned a starscream into a thundercracker. Thanks for the link above it has great info :)