Barricades voice.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bluebe6, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    Barricade was originally voiced by Jess Harnell in TF1, and I thought the voice was perfect.
    Then Barricade returned in Dark of the Moon, but was voiced Frank Welker.
    The line, "Your time is up!", lead many to believe that Soundwave killed Que/Wheeljack, as Welker voiced Soundwave.
    Considering Ironhide was turned to a pile of worthless scrap, I think it would be fair for Harnell to have another role in the film, obviously as Barricade.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You've given this too much thought. All he did was show up to do some grunt work. Obviously somebody thought "Hey, you know we coudl use Barricade for this" and then they did.

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I chalk it up simply to an error. Placing the voice on the wrong character. They needed a 'Con to do some killing and then get killed, so they threw in Barricade.

"Hey, Frank, can you record a couple lines in that growly voice of yours? We need some more Decepticons talking."

"Sure, of course I can."

*records lines* *watches movie*

"Oops."

Would it have been nice to have Harnell reprise his role? Of course. Given more closure to the "Barricade" we know and love and also must made that entire scene less confusing. :lol 

And I know that this option I'm about to present would mean completely changing the visual effects, but I would've been all for having Soundwave himself be the one to grab Que, kick him to the ground and then kill him. Then walk back to Bumblebee and grab him for "his turn". :ev: 

EDIT: And also what Split Lip said.

4. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If Only they Got John DiMaggio as Barricade in the Film.

5. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    The sheer disregard when it came to giving any of the robots actual character still infuriates me.

6. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

"Oh, wait! Barricade's still out there and I have to kill all the Decepticons! I know, we'll just throw him in this scene and not give him any character!"

That's about it.

Barricade is one of the best examples of a wasted character in the movieverse - absolutely cool and memorable in the first movie and he could have had a rivalry with Bumblebee running through all three films, but he disappears and Bay only brings him back because all the 'Cons had to die. :banghead: 

7. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime, Sentinel Prime, Jetfire, Wheelie and Laserbeak would like a word with you. ;) 

But seriously. For all of 39 seconds that Barricade was in DotM, did anyone really expect much? Barricade was fine in the first movie and had an adequate amount of "character", but there'd be practically no point for adding an intense backstory to his character for DotM.

8. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    This

also if you gives want mroe develoment and backstory for the characters then consider the Prequel novels and comics canon then jsut like me so in that way u get develoment and more backstory

9. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    Why is it unreasonable to want to see that kind of characterization in the movie itself?

And obviously I wasn't talking about those guys. Tell me something specific about any of the Constructicons, Shockwave, or the Dreads based on how they're portrayed in the movie, and no additional material.

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I think that Soundwave was meant to have killed Que and they just threw Barricade in at the last second just so he could do something before he dies. Also, I expect only generics were meant to their eyes shout out and boom sticked.

I think Ehran Kruger must hate Barricade because first Barricade has his death cut out of TF1 so he can be a big part of TF2, then suddenly Kruger comes along and Barricade is never in the story again. He just gets thrown in by Bay or the Animators. And Kruger can't write tough Cons. I want Orci and Kruzmen back.

I would have swapped Barricade and Soundwave around in the execution scene. I would also have a white police car transform into the generic that shoots Que so we see more of the Police Car Con.

Police Car Cons and Soundwave kills Que then Barricade tries to kill Bee but that ship crashes and then bee grabs a guards gun and kills Barricade. The other Autobots Autobots beat back the guards and take their weapons and kill them. Soundwave fights off Sideswipe but the Wrecker quickly overwhelm and kill him.

The pickup Decepticon takes Barricades place in the scene when the Cons get their eyes snipped.

11. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    um what?

12. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Maybe not backstory, no, but using the same voice for 39 seconds (as you put it) would have showed a little effort and provided character through consistency! And since Harnell was apparently available for the 3rd film...

13. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

The Constructicons were a huge mechanical gorilla with balls.

Shockwave was a badass.

The Dreads were secret Decepticon spies that tried to act badass but they got owned.

14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Anyone ever stop to think Barricade and Soundwave are related?

15. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    And I do agree with this for the more prominent characters (aka, not Barricade in DotM). You shouldn't have to rely on additional material outside of the movie to get an idea of what these characters are about. The movie should be able to stand on its own.

True, true. I wont argue that. :) 

16. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

It seems pretty obvious to me that Soundwave was meant to kill Wheeljack, and they threw Barricade in at the last moment and did not bother to change the voice.

I wish Soundwave ripped off Mirage's head like in the comic.

17. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Ferrari wasnt going to allow Bay to kill Mirage so they cut out the 2 version of his death (1 was where starscream killed him instead, thus starscream death was sam avenging mirage death, but such death (mirage) was cut, th e otehr version was the one u mentioned, soundwave killing mirage)

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Forget Jess Harnell and Frank Welker as Barricade....Keith David all the way man.

19. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Don't mess with that man's fries.

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, it would have been nice if Jess Harnell voiced Barricade in DOTM.

But like others have pointed out... he was more or less added into DOTM at the last moment, so... they just have Frank Welker voice him instead.

Well, seeing that an early version of the 07 Movie's script had called for Soundwave, only for that character to become Barricade... yeah, in a way they are related.