Barricade's VA Rumor

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ZeroMayhem, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

AICN is reporting on the next possible VA for Transformers. The rumor (link below) has veteran voice (and regular) actor Keith David, as Decepticon Barricade!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32038

Personally I love this news. I've been a fan of Keith David's VA work since he played Goliath on Gargoyles, and to hear his voice coming out of a badass Decepticon would dominate!

Keith David's IMDB page for those who may not know who he is:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0202966/

2. Barricade

Barricade Frenzy is in my pants.

Holy crap, I'd see this movie twice just for KD. He was in They Live and The Thing dammit! He rocks so much ass!

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I absolutely love this guy's sound. He makes me want to deliver UPS packages in a BMW for the Navy.

I think he'll be perfect for Barricade--menacing, but with the ability to scale up the rage.

4. Barricade

I've been wondering who they'd get for Barricade, hoping for a great VA, and I never even thought of KD. I really hope this turns out to be true.

5. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

hrmmmmmm, lemme think about that...

... If Keith is doing a voice, HELL YEAHS.

Unfortunately he wont say 'mother fucker', he is one of the only people who can say it in dialogue and make it drip with cool.

As well as the roles mentioned above (the thing, Gargoyles etc)

he is the Arbiter in the Halo series, Abu 'Imam' al-Walid in the Riddick universe, Despero in Justice league and Spawn/AL Simmons in the animated stuff. Just to name a few.

6. Barricade

Hell yeah, he should do his deep, raspy Spawn voice for Barricade. ;) 

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Well, at least they got 2 voices right so far - Cullen as Prime and (hopefully) David as Barricade. That would indeed rule.

Now as long as all these Hugo Weaving rumors are confirmed to be BS, and Will Smith doesn't get the part of the "obligatory black guy who has to play Jazz's voice because the original voice was a black guy", they could be on the right track.

8. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Keith David is also black.

And he has a great voice - Whenever I hear him doing one of those "real crime" narrations, I recognise his tones straight away. He's been 'cool' ever since THE THING and it would be neat to hear him in TRANSFORMERS.

9. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Kieth David also was the voice of Goliath in Gargoyles: either Spawn or Goliath's voice would be fine with me for Barricade.

I'm a little suprised at how solid their VA casting has been. All logical and reasoneable choices (nothing out of left field so far).

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I know that. I was making an entirely different point in regards to Will Smith possibly being cast as the voice of Jazz.

11. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good choice for Barricade.

12. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

But that's JAZZ's character isn't it? I knew Scatman Crothers was obviously black before I ever saw the real actor, and as people want the characters of the TF's changed as little as possible, why should JAZZ be an exception?

13. Weremole

Weremole Whack-a-mole Avenger

Come on. How can that be so bad. He can obviously do different voices or he wouldn't have been considered anyhow.
    Y'know, if you hear Agent Smith in your head coming out of Megatrons chainsaw maws you are probably imagining it wrong.

Anyway. Now that I know what this guy has worked on. Rawk. =)

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

If they give Jazz's role to smith, it will be because he fits the character of the smooth talking, slick and rythmic earth loving autobot, not because he's black. For cryin out loud, his name is Jazz, there's a 90% chance of him getting voiced by the "obligitory black guy"

As for Barricade, this is a good choice. He's gonna sound REAL mean in this movie.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    OH yeah. Keith David KILLA YOU GOOD.

16. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Why do you have to bring being black into this? What would anyone really expect to be different? I don't supose you'd rather have Eminem play Jazz? Will Smith would be the best possible actor for Jazz, out of all of Hollywood. Not because he's black, but because he has a voice that would do well to contemporaily act out Jazz. I'm interested to see who you think would be a better actor for Jazz, if you took being black out of the equation.

Jazz was the "brutha" of the Autobots. It wasn't a stereotype, it was a character, and as such, whomever they chose to be his VA should be no different. Just like how Starscream should be a scheming prick, you don't want someone who sounds much different than what Latta portrayed. Likewise to Prime, if you didn't have Cullen getting the part, you'd want someone who would bring a nobility and a strong commandeering voice to the role.

If Will Smith gets the part, it has less to do with "being obligatory" and more to do with characterization of another iconic Transformer.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Aaaaah, this guy? Not a bad choice.

18. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

...I wouldnt complain if this turns out to be true.

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    From what I remember of Goliath's voice in Gargoyles, I could totally hear it coming out of Barricade...if some rage was added;)  I approve.

20. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Agreed. We wanted welker for Megatron but unless the Sector7 release is indicating that Weaving will play STARSCREAM (which it definitely could mean, but I doubt it), it's going to be Weaving. And he would do a great job, I'm sure. Welker might simply not be what they're after for Megatron's voice in this film. Solid Choice. Cullen is a given...who ELSE could play prime? It's the same prime as before, same attitude, so it's gotta be cullen. Keith as Barricade would rock as well. He's awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.