Barricade's Mass

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, May 7, 2007.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i've been looking at the new pics of barricade seen Here, and i can't help but notice that he seems about 2.5 times larger/more massive than all those cars he's tossing around...which is interesting, considering that he's a fairly small car himself. and if you look at the one where he's chasing Shia, look at the wheel on his left arm. see how tiny it is? how is there so much robot from so little car?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I noticed the same thing about Movie Prime when early pics of him leaked. I went by the size of his side door and mirror. No way that much robot could fit into a truck proportionate to that door and mirror.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yet ANOTHER nod to G1, a world where a giant robot could stand up inside a space shuttle, and another combiner could have a truck for a main body, a shuttle and a helicopter for arms, and a tank and a jeep for legs! ;) 

4. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    I believe they are reasonably close on mass...If you look at the tire on Barricade in proportion to Shia it looks spot on..Think of it this way...when Prime is transforming in the trailers for example...His head doesn't just flip up or pop out from somewhere...It looks as if hundereds of smaller parts rotate and flip into place to form his whole head...Therefore it seems logical that every piece of the car interior / exterior would be composed of hundereds if not thousands of pieces cohesively forming....say a seat..when transformed these pieces could, slide, shift, and expand to occupy more space even though it has the same mass..

5. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

One of the benefits of incredibly complex transformations is that it becomes very difficult to correctly discern just how much cheating is actually going on. I imagine some of the smaller bots like Barricade are beefed up somewhat, whereas some of the huge ones like Starscream may lose some mass in robot mode. With transformations this complex, it is pretty difficult to tell, and even if they do change proportions slightly, viewers won't notice.

6. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I saw a Pontiac Solstice (silver no less) in front of me today and thought HOLY HELL THAT IS TINY... I mean at most you'd get a 10 foot tall robot out of it.

Minor cheating is expected and ok, but I do think that the movie could have been just as epic with *slightly* smaller "mecha"

7. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

I'm not so familiar with TFs. Do they have engines, seats and chasis when they're in vehicle mode? If they don't, I reckon the limbs can be stored within the shell of the car. But if they have all those stuff, then I really can't fathom how on earth a 15 foot robot can rise from a relatively small car. The toys can transform easily cos there're no engines and stuff - the 'car' is a mere hollow shell within which the limbs are stored.

I can't help but imagine the cars I see transforming into robots everyday...

8. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Good. I like my TFs to mass shift. They should be big in 'bot mode.

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

Wrong!!! G1 was at least realistic. I mean, come on! A PONTIAC which transforms into a functioning machine? Give me a break.

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, lets look at it like this, using the Alt I have in front of me at the time (Ricochet) in bot mode he stands a little over 7 inches tall.
    Alts are 1/24 in scale.
    If you multiply 7 x 24, you get 168.
    Then divide 168 by 12 (number of inches in a foot) you get 14 feet.
    So if I did my math right (forgive me if I'm wrong, its been a while) in a "real world" Ricochet when in bot mode would stand a little over 14 feet in height....and thats pretty tall

11. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

I noticed in the TV spot that Prime's shoulders pop out from the engine compartment. Now if his giant biceps are stored there, where on earth are the engines? Or do the engines transform into the arms?

IIRC, Prime's legs in the toys are pretty stubby - cos the back end of the Peterbilt is only that long.

I'd like to play the Bumblebee TF clip in the TV spot. There's a lot of thigns transforming in the boot and before you know it, a Camera that's barely 10 foot long has transformed into a TF almost 16 foot tall - with the engine compartment folded in front.

But heck, I don't care. They still look dead cool.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Thank you Lex Luthor. If you haven't noticed. The whole concept of Transformers is not exactly realistic. No matter which era you're looking at. So Barricade mass shifts a little bit. So it's based a little off of G1.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    maybe barricade has a lot of trunk room?

14. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

I think he was sarcastically imitating the "ZOMGgeewun" mindset to poke fun at the perception that GM cars have poor quality, i.e. being barely functional vehicles already, how can you expect them to transform into hypercomplicated robots?

Also, few if any of the G1 cars were based on such American cars, so it was "more realistic" than the movie according to the joke's internal logic.

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Hence why Jazz is the smallest bot of the group.

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Hey! What about the late model GTOs? Granted, they're actually rebadged Holden Monaros...

17. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

... how did you know I shave my head?

Also, I'll sell you an appreciation for sarcasm for a dollar.

18. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Yeah, but, smallest large robot out of a group of even larger robots. Just because the Empire State Building isn't the tallest in the world it doesn't make it less huge.

I mean, seeing the car in real life, it looked like it would be power armor :p  Jazz still looks pretty big in comparison to the others.

19. alec.zander

alec.zander Well-Known Member

In the shot where Barricade has Sam pinned on the hood of the car, the wheel looks life sized. In the shot where Barricade is running upright chasing Sam, the wheel does look kind of small. So:

- The wheel may shrink a little as he transforms. There's a similar question with the chest feature on SS that becomes the F-22's cockpit bubble. That bubble looks smaller on the bot mode chest than it does as the cockpit on the F-22.

- as someone said earlier, there may actually be a LITTLE cheating with mass

- and if there isn't, it may be that the bot modes have a lot of empty void spaces within their torsos and limbs, so while mass may have been conserved, apparent volume and size has increased.

20. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I think they are dead on, they wouldnt stear you wrong on this. They also mentioned morphing from the get go.