Minor/Repaint: Barricade as Prowl - 85% complete (lotsa pics)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Aug 23, 2007.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I started this bash a while ago... at that point, nobody had really done a Barricade-Prowl bash, though it's been done a few times since.

I wanted to do a really G1-style mod but every time I touched the project, I'd run into some little glitch, and I'd just set it aside. Finally I decided to just go for it... took a surprising amount of Dremelling to achieve some pretty minor effects, but I'm almost there.

At this point, I need to redo his new waist joint... the one I made is too bulky which makes the transformation awkward.

Then I think I need to add some final paint apps, and it's all good. I'm planning on keeping him predominantly black, which I know isn't so G1, but I just feel that the Mustang police interceptor is so sweet looking in black, I don't want to change the deco too much. I will add some highlights on his robot parts though.

zmog

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. SMOG

more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason, the "police" stamp on his right arm just started rubbing off. The left one is fine though... I'm tempted to pick up another Barricade just to replace the door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

zmog

3. SMOG

more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For some reason, the "police" stamp on his right arm just started rubbing off. The left one is fine though... I'm tempted to pick up another Barricade just to replace the door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

zmog

4. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Pretty cool at this point.....completed should blow us all away !
    I always thought movie Barricade would be cool if he was made outta Alt. Grimlock or Alt. Wheeljack.

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Pretty cool at this point.....completed should blow us all away !
    I always thought movie Barricade would be cool if he was made outta Alt. Grimlock or Alt. Wheeljack.

6. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Has anyone actually done an Alt Barricade? Ive also wondered how it would look

JL

7. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Has anyone actually done an Alt Barricade? Ive also wondered how it would look

JL

8. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In my opinion, that head doesn't fit the mold...but that doesn't mean it looks bad.

I like how you adapted the movie toy into a more G1-esque look....and I kind of wonder why more people don't do it. (I figured thats all we would see once the movie toys came out)

Is there no movie-style head that you can adapt to Prowl? How about Wreckage? Slap some horns on him, paint him up, and he would look badass. (Just an idea of course)

Anyway, do you have any plans to paint the body parts? Maybe split up the black by giving him white or silver upper legs? That'll really differentiate him from Barricade!

The G1 arms were an excellent idea, but slap some Gundam hands on the man! I think they would be the right size, and look a lot better!

Great job man...keep churning them out!

9. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In my opinion, that head doesn't fit the mold...but that doesn't mean it looks bad.

I like how you adapted the movie toy into a more G1-esque look....and I kind of wonder why more people don't do it. (I figured thats all we would see once the movie toys came out)

Is there no movie-style head that you can adapt to Prowl? How about Wreckage? Slap some horns on him, paint him up, and he would look badass. (Just an idea of course)

Anyway, do you have any plans to paint the body parts? Maybe split up the black by giving him white or silver upper legs? That'll really differentiate him from Barricade!

The G1 arms were an excellent idea, but slap some Gundam hands on the man! I think they would be the right size, and look a lot better!

Great job man...keep churning them out!

10. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks REALLY good, and works a lot better then I thought it would.

11. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks REALLY good, and works a lot better then I thought it would.

12. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are off to a great start, and I was thinking of doing something similar, so it's awesome to see how great it can come out. Definitely the best (non-Alternator) Prowl custom I seen in a while. Can't wait to see it finished

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are off to a great start, and I was thinking of doing something similar, so it's awesome to see how great it can come out. Definitely the best (non-Alternator) Prowl custom I seen in a while. Can't wait to see it finished

14. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I love this kitbash. I love the way those shoulder pads simulate the looks of the G1 doors in bot mode.

15. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I love this kitbash. I love the way those shoulder pads simulate the looks of the G1 doors in bot mode.

16. jazzman_78

jazzman_78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow, nice work. And are those LEGO's I see? If so, that's pretty clever, 'cause it looks so good. Can't wait to see the final pics.

17. jazzman_78

jazzman_78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow, nice work. And are those LEGO's I see? If so, that's pretty clever, 'cause it looks so good. Can't wait to see the final pics.

18. SMOG

Heh... I'm working on Voyager Prime now. I started turning a modified 08 BB into Sunstreaker, but suspended that after I saw the concept pics for Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker. :) 

I wanted to turn Barricade into a G1 Prowl, so I'm trying to obscure some of the more "organic" movie elements. With the legs flipped around and the new arms (and a G1 codpiece even!), he doesn't look much like a movie bot anymore, so I'm not sure a movie-style head would work. The modified Tigatron head says "G1 Prowl" to me more than pretty much any other TF head of the right size (maybe Classics Astrotrain with a red crest?) so it was a must.

I'm hoping once I do some painting, the head will blend with the figure better... right now the white sort of stands out against all that black. I plan to do the front hood in white, and add some silver to his legs to reflect the original Prowl. The black looks good on this figure, but there's just too much of it. :) 

LOL! :) 

Those ARE Gundam hands dude! From the Endless Waltz 1/144 Tallgeese to be precise... one of the only Gundams I could think of with white polycap hands.

One of my goals was to make him still "playable" so I opted for polycap hands in fists so I could easily pop his gun in and out. My earlier version had some pale grey open Gundam hands which also looked good, so I might still swap, maybe give him one open hand and one fist for holding his gun.

Yep, that's Lego. Like probably everyone in the world, the absurdly long, thin, brittle barrel broke off my G1 Prowl gun during childhood. It still needs to be painted to match the gun better, but the LEGO seems to capture the look of the gun. I also used some Bionicle stuff in the new waist joint.

Those "wings" were what clinched the custom for me and made me want to do it. Of course, he sort of has 3 sets of "wings" that recall G1 Prowl... the folded-down doors on his upper arms, the shoulder panels, and those "glass" fins on his back.

Thanks for the comments! :) 

zmog

19. SMOG

Heh... I'm working on Voyager Prime now. I started turning a modified 08 BB into Sunstreaker, but suspended that after I saw the concept pics for Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker. :) 

I wanted to turn Barricade into a G1 Prowl, so I'm trying to obscure some of the more "organic" movie elements. With the legs flipped around and the new arms (and a G1 codpiece even!), he doesn't look much like a movie bot anymore, so I'm not sure a movie-style head would work. The modified Tigatron head says "G1 Prowl" to me more than pretty much any other TF head of the right size (maybe Classics Astrotrain with a red crest?) so it was a must.

I'm hoping once I do some painting, the head will blend with the figure better... right now the white sort of stands out against all that black. I plan to do the front hood in white, and add some silver to his legs to reflect the original Prowl. The black looks good on this figure, but there's just too much of it. :) 

LOL! :) 

Those ARE Gundam hands dude! From the Endless Waltz 1/144 Tallgeese to be precise... one of the only Gundams I could think of with white polycap hands.

One of my goals was to make him still "playable" so I opted for polycap hands in fists so I could easily pop his gun in and out. My earlier version had some pale grey open Gundam hands which also looked good, so I might still swap, maybe give him one open hand and one fist for holding his gun.

Yep, that's Lego. Like probably everyone in the world, the absurdly long, thin, brittle barrel broke off my G1 Prowl gun during childhood. It still needs to be painted to match the gun better, but the LEGO seems to capture the look of the gun. I also used some Bionicle stuff in the new waist joint.

Those "wings" were what clinched the custom for me and made me want to do it. Of course, he sort of has 3 sets of "wings" that recall G1 Prowl... the folded-down doors on his upper arms, the shoulder panels, and those "glass" fins on his back.

Thanks for the comments! :) 

zmog

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Nice! I'm interested in knowing how you did the waist joint. I'm planning to do my own Prowl, eventually. I've already got the Barricade for it.