Barraki- Creeps from the deep

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dinobot Nuva, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't even begin to describe how awesome these guys are. Lego has done an amazing job here, and they've FINALLY put a death to the clone sets from the past six years by using old designs mixed with new ones. I've never boughten all six of the canisters, in any year. But not 1 month after they showed up, I already have all six (plus the bigger $15 size Nocturn). Put these baddies with the leaked pictures we've seen for the summer 2007 sets, and this looks to be one of the best years Bionicle has even seen. Still, I suppose this thread really -is- useless without pics...so-
    Mantax-
    [​IMG]

Carapar-
    [​IMG]

Ehlek-
    [​IMG]

Kalmah-
    [​IMG]

Pridak-
    [​IMG]

Takadox-
    [​IMG]

Nocturn-
    [​IMG]

Why the hell not, group picture!
    [​IMG]

My favorite out of the bunch (excluding Nocturn) is surprisingly Takadox. I didn't like him when I first saw the prototype, but he's so much cooler in person.
    DN

2. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ehlek is rocking big time, he might be the first Bionicle figure I've bought since Keetongu, back during the Visorak days.

3. Mikerahk

Mikerahk Member

They all look great, seeing good pics of these guys is a relief.

Takadox actually looks pretty cool, though I'm still not a fan of the daggers.

And Ehlek's claws look awesome.

4. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Ehlek is one of the better ones, he actually pulls the skinny build look off pretty well, and his head sculpt, combined with those claws make for an awesome looking set.
    DN

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Wow. Lego with no Lego pieces.

6. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Isn't that a bit of a paradox? The technic line (which has been around for more than a decade) doesn't regularly use Lego bricks either, but that doesn't stop it from being Lego. Its not like the three different groups of pieces aren't compatible with each other either, you can build fusion MOCs using regular system, technic and bionicle all in one model.
    DN

7. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technic's been around for nigh on 30 years now - the Bionicle line makes extensive use of long-established Technic parts like axles, bushes and friction pins, plus a wide array of new parts. :) 

8. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn. I have the original bionicles. These things are whack.

9. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    It goes both ways too, Technic has been borrowing a lot of parts from Bionicle over the past few years. Sadly though, most of the AFOL (adult fan o' lego) community still sees Bionicle as the, to quote BR "The ugly fat child" of the Lego franchise.
    But the fandom -is- growing, I can see it now, in 14 years we'll have a ton of 20-40 year old Bionicle fans all going "the original was WAY better" like people do in the TF fandom XD
    DN

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Lego was originally called Technical Lego back in the 80s; I have the first 2 car chassis they made boxed away somewhere. There were no odd curved bits, or custom blocks specifically designed for one purpose; you actually had to use the proper technical bricks to build things. the most "custom" bits in them were the pistons, or gears, or maybe the universal joint (on the second car chassis anyway; you built the universal joint on the first one) it was a LOT more fun that just putting together a few pieces that are custom designed for that one toy. Although some of them are cool (but not these ones), to be blunt I don't class any of the Bionicles as actually being Lego.

11. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    You're entitled to your opinion sir, most parts in these sets are old (we're all well aware of the fact that making new molds costs mulah for the company), and it's just different ways of puttting the hundreds of different kinds of pieces together. I had way more fun building the 2 foot something Bionicle Kardas Dragon than I ever did building a regular brick or technic set. The experience is the same, you start out with a ton of parts that don't really seem to make anything, but once you get past the first 50 or so parts things start to take shape.
    Cajun's "Rack" should illustrate how Bionicle stopped being simple after 2001-
    [​IMG]
    IMO, there's to much ignored potential here.
    DN

12. Henshin

Henshin Well-Known Member

DN, back into Bionicle are we? Nice.
    Ah. The Rack. I remember that. No I don't. I wasn't part of BZPower at the time. I know he was in a BBC.I've seen the Brickshelf Folder. It's ridiculous how well though out that thing is. Egh.

My best work posted online:
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=218560
    Alt Mode(s):
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=218566
    I think It's about 300 pieces or somewhere. Don't know, don't care.

It's nice to carry on a conversation about Bionicle without being at a kids' site. :) 

This isn't about MOCs though...I better stay on topic...

I have Nocturn. He looks alright. Mabye a 7/10 or so. 5 for originality and neat pieces. 2 for older colors. 1 year of Metru style was enough. -2 for the fact there could have been more to him than just a taller Barakki. -1 for the Sea Squids. They suck and they don't work right. Argh. But they do look cool.

13. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    I swear I know you on BZP Henshin...I don't wanna say Autobot Kopaka...but...
    The sea squids, like all other collectables that're projectiles first, do suck collectable wise. I've got about 100 of them right now, it'll make for some cool scenes, having Matoran totally over run by hundreds of the little buggers, it'll be awesome XD
    And back in to it? I've never even left it!
    DN

14. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Technic sets haven't grabbed me since they started using stud-less beams in all of the sets. Bionicle was sort of interesting at first, but it's not my cup of tea. And there's very few fan creations I actually like ("The Rack" above being an example).

15. Henshin

Henshin Well-Known Member

AK? How? Oh! Wait. I know. The whole Bio Machine thingy. Yeah. I thought you said something about how much you weren't too fond of the 2006 sets or something and you kind of lost interest.

Heh heh heh. Stampede...Bionicle humor....heh heh heh.

I have 2 Sea Squid. They look like fish bait....

16. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Nah, 2006 was freaking awesome. I just thought the Inika were underwhelming after all the hype they had recieved before they were released. So you are Autobot Kopaka, wahoo! I'm Dinobot The Maximal over there on BZP, send me a PM when you get the chance :) 
    I think Nocturn is tall enough for his size and pricepoint. At $15, I don't expect him to be Titan sized, but he does have a fair amount of bulk to him. He also pulls of the Grievous look quite nicely too...
    DN

17. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll have to dig out the plans for my own Bionicle custom and reassemble it sometime! I was inspired after seeing War of the Worlds. ;)  Unfortunately it didn't stand up two well, until I doubled-up the ball joints connecting the legs to the carapace.

18. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Ah, Bionicle. Man, I loved those guys up till the Toa Nuvas. After that I just quit. But then again, I kept some Bionicle figures just for some stuffs (like playing with them a little, putting them in my comic in the Funnies). But soon, I got bored with them. So, on one day, out of complete and utter boredom, I pretty much smashed the remaining Bionicle figures. Smashed them with a hammer, or smashed them with my foot. I didn't care, I was just REALLY REALLY bored.

But these Barraki guys definitely peaked my interest in Bionicles again. Mantax, Carapar, Ehlek, and Takadox have my attention. Maybe I might get these guys, maybe not.

19. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Eric, I'm crying on the inside now XD
    Seriously, the resale value on the originals is -really- high right now, you coulda made a decent buck off of them :/
    DN