Barber/Hasbro Press Conference

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by dj_convoy II, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah, he's as bad as Jean Grey :lol 

2. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    holy crap, a giant sweeps monster, thats sick

3. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Yeah, it made me want to throw up out of boredom too.

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    My tactic of late has been: wait for the trade, then wait at least three months after the trade is released before buying it. I forget all about what the hyppity-hype-hype Diamond blurbs spoiled. I did this for the Ironhide and Drift minis, totally brought back the intrigue of what's on the next page.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I think the problem with this is assuming that the only way you can tell stories about other characters is to kill Optimus. I've never felt like Prime had to be at the center of every TF event. I understand why he gets sidelined all the time... he's too reassuring, too emphatically heroic... but I was perfectly happy with the way Furman started out Infiltration by keeping Prime and Megs in reserve, allowing other characters to define the action.

Word.

zmog

6. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    They published an Animated mini series right (and a couple source books?)? I'm guarantee if it had sold a viable amount they would have gladly published more. I just think despite its vocality, it's too small of a fanbase compared to G1 and Movie.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    They did make two separate Allspark Almanacs. Why would they bother making the second one, if the first wasn't successful? Also keep in mind that other than The Arrival, they also did those crappy "Animation Comics" using screen caps. Most of the opinion might be from those doing poorly.

8. rad902

rad902 Member

Ebay:
    LOL

On a serious note though, I have a feeling that the storyline may really not match the obvious title. Anyway, who cares? Well, I kinda do, might as well read something TF during the wait for TF4 *sigh* :popcorn 

9. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I am completely on board with where IDW is taking our beloved franchise. The creepy art, that dark oil based looking stuff is setting an eerie mood.

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    ‎"OH, MY GOD! THEY KILLED PRIME!"

"YOU BASTARDS!"

Seriosly? Prime dying isn't a shock anymore nor does it cause any emotion.
    I'm pretty sure that Optimus's every day pretty much goes like this

*on the table with a coffe cup and newspapers

Ratchet: " So Optimus what are you going to do today?"

Optimus:" I'm walka around, give a few epic speeches...might die if I feel like it...you kow the usual.."

11. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Full Time Toy Designer

Deceptigod: every sweep hoarder's wet dream.

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    IDW = The reason I no longer buy comics and don't even really miss them.
    Like much of the Transformers Animated TV show I can see that IDW's way of looking at Transformers is only going to make me glow with rage like a tarts lightbulb when I dip a toe in.

So I would rather not have my joy all sucked out of the franchise by indulging them - they already darn near killed my love of Gi Joe That's made me gun shy of them even when they have a idea that has some interest in it like some of their Megatron designs or even the idea of Hearts of Steel - I feel they don't really pull it off so well as they might.

I might buy the 81+ trades if only out of foolish optimism.

But as I say I'm darn gun shy of them.

[NOTE: I don't hate Animated I just realised it was something that didn't hold a great deal of interest to me at the time.. I might change my mind over time like some have when looking back at Beast Machines - but as it stands I'm not really chasing after it - and I'm not really going to be chasing after IDW's output either for similar reasons]

13. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Stupid. Very Stupid.

Optimus is either incapacitated (IDW G1 ongoing, AHM), not there (Infiltration, Dark Ages, Age of Wrath) or dead, more than he is actually live and kicking.

The reason comic writers do this is because "saintly", powerful characters who are always expected to win in the end are notorious impossible to write. Witness:

-All the times Professor X has gone missing / died / lost his powers / left the X-Men to the point now where he has been basically completely marginalized for the much easier to write Cyclops.

-Superman. In the past 5 years he has lost his powers, vanished for a year, went to live on New Krypton and been an "everyman" among supermen, went "Grounded" and fought ever more overpowered doomsdays.

- The Sentry (Marvel) went from Silver Age Superman-level powerful to slightly-above-Thor level in about 2 years. Then they killed him, or made him too insane to fight when the Avengers needed him.

In general I'm sick of this "Death of _____" crap in comics. Who gives a shit anymore. This promote sales? I've torrented everything about the 'Death of Ultimate Spiderman" and the emergence of his (rather pointless) replacement because I have zero interest in paying money for the product. "Death" and "Depowerment and redemption" stories illustrate that the creators have reached a storytelling impasse and should be rotated out of the book.

The build up to CHaos has been pretty great. But I have zero interest going through this crap again. I buy Transformers to read about Optimus Prime and the 1984-1986 Autobots. I don't care about obscure characters. What they're selling, I'm not buying. Hasbro desperately needs to take back their property and send it to Wildstorm/D.C. Jim Lee is the only person at the editorial level in the industry who "get's it".

14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why don't they kill of Bumblebee or Rodimus for a change?
    Decepticgod looks and sounds stupid, I'd probably appreciate it more if I knew more about the story, but then again probably not.

Why can’t the Transformers ever move forward instead of retconning retcons of the original story?

15. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

They're killing off Prime? THAT'S original..

16. Optimus8404

Optimus8404 Autobot Commander. RIP Nov 2107

Ebay:
    [​IMG]