Bandai

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

What would you do if Bandai Took over the Transformers Franchise?

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Moved. Please post your threads in the correct forum.

3. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Buy TakaraTomy Power Rangers instead?

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Bandai cannot make a proper transforming robot toy line. They had a fantastic chance with Machine Robo Rescue, but they instead made half a dozen molds and repainted them all twice with slight variations. Their fiction made the robots pretty characterless (even worse than the lack of personality in Armada). I fear for what they'd do to Transformers.

They did good in the 80s with the original Machine Robo, but it didn't endure and they've never managed to revive the series to the same degree as Transformers. Though Mugenbine was awesome, and Machine Robo Rescue was decent enough with the toys, the fiction was a bit lacking. I doubt if they ran Transformers, that Transformers would do any better in Japan than it is now. In fact, considering that Machine Robo is pretty much dead again except for the odd candy toy release, I'd say Takara Tomy must be doing something right on their side.

5. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Yes.

I still remain thoroughly unimpressed with Bandai's transforming offerings. Even a drunken fool could engineer a non-transforming Gundam or Eva humanoid robot, versus a transforming masterpiece like Leader Prime, Leader Brawl, any of the MP line, etc.

They may be a minnow in the ocean compared to the shark that is Bandai...but I still prefer the way Takara Tomy engineers their toys over anyone else. Many of TT's designs are quite clever, durable, and, compared to others like Bandai, somewhat cheaper.

That said, Yamato engineers their transforming mechs with such beauty (Macross Valks, Megazone 23 Garlands)...but if I am paying $200 for a toy, it should not crumble apart with extreme ease. Yamato is great on paper, but their materials are substandard, and that is putting it very generously. That is why I will never purchase another product from them ever again. I got burned once already.

6. tomboland

tomboland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i would get chuck norris to destroy them and then roundhouse kick hasbro for letting it slip from their fingers to teach them BOTH a lesson

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bandai has some genius engineers. Many times on par with TakaraTOMY's own.

However, Bandai only seems to like to let those engineers go well and truly nuts on either a massive budget/retail price, or otherwise rare occasions. I'm guessing this helps them remain the ludicrous powerhouse that they are in Japan though- seems likely that they're extremely smart about their toy budgeting on children's lines.

Honestly I stand by my theory that the guys doing the minipla kits ever since Gekiranger have been using that line as a resume piece to convince Bandai to make Sentai mecha toys more posable. :lol 

But yeah, if Bandai took over, I think any non-collector-aimed Transformers product would overall lose a lot of the qualities most of us are looking for.

8. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I do not think anything would really happen with the line. As Tomy merged with Takara and nothing really happened, we did not get Starriors Transformers? lol..... So im sure Bandai would be aware not to mess with perfection and allow things to go on as is.

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I meant like, if for some reason Bandai bought the property and then told the TakaraTOMY engineers to get lost. XD

10. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    then we might get high detailed Action Masters model kits for $333 each lol..

11. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    laugh.

then stop collecting transformers.

12. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

i'd spend a fortune buying paint to counter bandai's complete bullshit of not paitning anything that you can't see from the outside of the package.

actually no, much like with power rangers..I'd stop buying from them due to thier awfull corner cutting on any amerikan release.

13. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Calls it quit. Permanently.

14. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $200 for a toy?!!!

That's 1 MP Grimlock and 1 Alternity Convoy! I love you Takara Tomy! :) 

15. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    The transforming Gundams totally suck like crap. Look at Gundam 00's Kyrios... His legs actually detach to an entire different piece, connect back to the front, and pass off as leggy looking jet engines...

16. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Kyrios just folds up it's legs. It bends then outwards, ninety degrees then at the knees, flip the wings, fold the feet, you got it. What version have you got. Arios was cool as well, if it did look a bit like a dart. Bandai have mastered Shellforming, with GN Archer. Zeta was decent. And most Gundams have better weapons. That's the good things about Bandai.

Bad things: You know what would happen? We'd get pretty fragile model kits, and then some MSiA for TF's with low quality plastics and armor that falls off. Asshimar is proof. We'd also get tiny 1/200 scale robot in fancy boxes for prices worse than the SE line is going for.

Basically, transformers would be wrecked. But have good Weapons, and decent transformations. However, we'd end up Tieren-ing Transformers a lot more than we use to.

Oh, and Machine Robo's toys sucked. But Mugenbine was decent.

17. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

i could see hasbro buying bandia, but not bandia buying hasbro.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Has anybody here even looked at a SOC Ideon, Voltres V, Godmars or a MG 2.0 Zeta Gundam?

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Have more money. :D 

20. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Yeah it seems like most every poster in this thread has either ignored the SOC line, or just doesn't know what it is.

The only TakTom product I own that matches up with some of the nicer chogokins is MP Prime.

The prices can be high, but they really are on par, or even less than, the most recent releases from overseas.

You can add to your list Dancouga, the newest Macross offerings, Baikanfu, and Zambot.