Ban on rare Earth Magnets (BuckyBalls)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mister Gone, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    So I searched and didn't find anything on this here and it is really starting to work my last nerve. Apparently the CPSC is targeting the manufacturers of rare Earth magnets as children are swallowing them (After presumably ordering them off the internet using their smaller, presumably Dora the Explorer themed credit cards) and punching holes in their small intestine (much like the criminally NOT banned sewing needles that I have been campaigning against for years). Anyway a manufacturer, BuckyBalls, is not complying, sighting the fact that they are clearly marked for adult use only and spell out the dangers if ingested. The CPSC is now suing BuckyBalls.

Another example of poor parenting or the valiant government protecting us against dangers that our thick monkey skulls can't possibly understand and avoid?

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't know if it's poor parenting, kids are like cats, they get into everything. For me, I kind of never swallowed anything that wasn't meant to be eaten. Some people will say natural selection?

I know some people who had a horse die after eating plants they weren't supposed to. I never pull out the poisonous plants by my stable, if the horse wants to be an idiot and eat it so be it. He never touches them, eats the grass around them.

3. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

It's unnecessary and an overstep by the federal government.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    wow... we live in a capitalistic society right? Just checking. With all this gov't intervention and with all of our support to China, it just makes you wonder what kind of capitalist society we live in.

Maybe Capitalism has changed it's definition since I was a kid.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Im kind of surprised that it took this long for them to be banned, frankly. Other small magnets of that kind were banned, and there was massive outcry over how awful companies were to import them from China for sale. I don't know why these would be exempt.

It'd be great if everyone who bought these was able to keep them out of the reach of kids, but surprise, people won't, and since they're sold as toys/novelties (regardless of what age they're aimed at), they're going to be under scrutiny as such.

6. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Although I am generally in favor of the government banning things that are potentially dangerous, in the case of this, responsibility falls on the parents, and not on the government. This kind of thing is happening far too often these days. Parenting in the US is getting lazier and lazier and worse and worse (every time I see anyone under 13 with a cell phone, iPod, iPhone, or iPad, I want to puke), and things that should be done by parents are being left up to the government and to other groups, such as with movie ratings (is it REALLY necessary to rate a movie PG-13 or R just because it shows characters smoking?!).

7. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    My nephew has some of those Bucky Balls - they're pretty powerful magnets, but how do they poke holes in kids guts? They're awful tiny and not sharp. I apologize of the answer is obvious but I can't figure it out.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If there's two of them in the system, or one and anything else magnetic, the two magnets can get close enough to pinch the folds of the intestine, ripping them open in the process.

9. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    well considering how powerful they are, maybe the kids put another one near their stomach for shiggles after swallowing one. hell i'm almost dumb enough to do something like that :lol  :dunce 

10. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    LOL! Awesome!! :D 

I'm gonna feed some to my cat who I wish was dead!

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe this is a misrepresentation of the case. Buckyballs, specifically, is being targeted for insufficiently warning/protecting minors from using their product. You can still buy rare earth magnets elsewhere. I'm using some in my custom Nexus Prime that I bought from here: http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

From USA Today:

A copy of the suit can be seen here: http://i.usatoday.net/money/_pdfs/cpsc-complaint-buckyballs.pdf

I suspect Buckyballs could negotiate their way out of this if they compromise with the complaints filed against them.

And as a personal editorial, I'm generally wary of bans. However, I'd say a fair counter for the anti-ban crowd would be: if you're against a ban on safety grounds, you forfeit your right to file a lawsuit in the event that said product harms you or anyone else you are responsible for.

12. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I won't lie, so am I (hey watch this!!)

13. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

In before "how do magnets work". :p 

Oh, it is an example of poor parenting, my friend.

Yeah, I don't have any kids, but it should be fucking common knowledge to everyone by now - if your kid still likes to put stuff in their mouth, then don't get them something (or leave out something of your own) that could potentially harm them if they put it in their mouth and/or swallow it.

Simple as that, people.

And "poor warning labels"?

I mean this in both a literal and figurative way - if you think it's alright to swim with piranhas because there isn't a warning label on the tank, then you deserve to find out the hard way.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    You know, I don't know if it is bad parenting.

I just think it works like this:

1 dumb kid eats these things. It eats through their intestine and the story makes the news. Some damn politician knows that we all want to save the children. Oh the children. So they make some law to outlaw these things. At the end, they say, "if we can save 1 child, then we are better off".

That is why in the future we will all be in full body armor and helmets and only be able to buy govt approved products.

That's the real problem, you get one dumb kid that then trickles down to all of society. So we become a society that caters around the lowest common denominator and we think we are better off.

15. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a difference between willfully ignoring or underestimating a warning, and being ignorant about what the warning pertains to. If you've never seen or heard of a piranha before, how do you know it's any different from the majority of fish that don't have a penchant for biting chunks of flesh off of you?

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I say if we have to put warning labels on everything we should be able to make fun of the consumer.

For instance:
    "Hey Moron, were you about to put your cat in the microwave? Really? What the fuck did you think would happen if you did that? You know microwaves cook things right? Do you throw your cat into the oven to dry her? No? You sure? Then don't throw it in here"

"While we don't think a person like you should breed, maybe you should think twice about trying to stop this chainsaw with your legs. Yes, it will cut your balls off. Just saying. If you do want to chop off your balls, please feel free, but don't sue us. We included this sticker"

"Listen kid, you shouldn't stick metal objects in your mouth. OK, you probably shouldn't stick anything in your mouth that is not food or toothpaste and a toothbrush. I am sure your parents created your dumb ass when your mom first started sticking things in her mouth that she shouldn't have. However, try to be smarter then your mom. Don't put magnets in your mouth. Really. I said it. Stop being dumb"

BTW, these are all real warnings:
    1- Microwave's have a warning not to put pets in them.
    2- I forget which country has a warning not to stop chainsaws with your thighs
    3- Obviously for earth magnets

BTW: to my earlier point. There are 12 dumb asses who did this. There are what 52,000,000 kids between the ages of 12-17. So since .00000023% of all kids in the US are affected by this plaque, we should sue the company for $50MM. OK.

Maybe we can take the money that will be wasted by this damn lawsuit and donate it to Child Cancer charities and call it even. At least the kids with cancer didn't do something stupid to have to go through their shit.

17. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:

I would not be at all shocked if even the "non novelty" sites are targeted as well, if not now, soon. The problem is the CPSC contacted BuckyBalls in 2010 and they complied even with a full recall to re-label their products as 14+ (because the injured idiots, I mean victims, were 13-14 and the previous warning was 13+, I know, I love the bureaucracy). So now they come back 2 years later and say, "Nope people are still too stupid to read" and try for a full on ban.

As far as a lawsuit that says "You are responsible for yourself and those under your control/guardianship" I think the entire US court system would implode and leave a giant sucking void were it once was. Matter and Anti-Matter you know.

18. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

kind of?

go on.

19. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    As the legal system is so fond of saying. Ignorance of the law does not excuse.

In this case danger is apparent with just a little common sense. Ignorance of the danger (or reading the package) does not excuse you from have the basic abilities of cause and effect. If you lack that basic problem solving skill, other's should not be punished for it.

It's why cigarettes and booze are still legal, and they can kill you when you use them the right way.

20. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the context of the legal system, I believe that expression is used to prevent exploiting ignorance as a defense. When the ignorance is legitimate, the penalty is applied based on the act of breaking the law, and often reduced because of the non-intent. If you speed and are unaware of the speed limit, you are still a danger to other drivers, and will be fined anyway.

I do not think this is relevant to the Buckyballs discussion since the objection seems to come down to lack of sufficient warning and/or safety measures, i.e., not posting the speed limit in a conspicuous location.

That said, I do not necessarily agree with the CPSC. I'd have to research this case more thoroughly.

Also, "common sense" is a meaningless term, since it is socially relativistic and varies from person to person. It's right up there with "gut feeling".