Ball joints, where?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jaicen, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody know where I can get some ball joints for scratch building?
    I'm looking for something like this linked below, but preferably sourced within Europe (UK preferably).

Search Results

2. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    It's best to buy a bunch of Lego Bionicle/Hero Factory sets. There full of ball joints. You just have to cut them from the main part though.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Yeah, Bionicle/Hero Factory joints are awesome.

5. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What size are they though? I'm looking for something that's about Legend class size. And a few deluxe size ball joints. The things I linked would be perfect, so that's what I want really.

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Bionicle is only good for Ultra and above, unfortunately. For Voyager or Deluxe, i'd say Asoblocks work very well.

Not really sure on Legends, but there is an Articulating Legends Figures tutorial on this site, i think that might have some ideas for you.

7. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check HLJ. I don't have the link on this computer, but they sell ball joint sets in varying colours and sizes.

8. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I linked them in the first post!

They have just what I want, although i'm not sure which size it is i'm after, but I was looking for a UK or European supplier. I don't want to have to ship stuff from Japan.

9. rebornee

rebornee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Think I will be ordering from hlj is the only place I could find will be the clear ball joint set. Wish they had some colors even if they only had black and white.
    Rebornee

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i got some from HLJ, but I'm out now - otherwise I'd share the "size" noted on the package. They were tiny, about 3mm, used them often for heads and very small customs. Sometimes your best bet for Legends sized ball joints are Legends, and the minicon type.

11. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

i think i have some of the tiny ones you need. but I'd recomend getting one of those packs that has more than one type. it's great to see all the different ones in person and how strong and flexible each one is.

I tried finding anouther source but couldn't, and your best bet is always HLJ. you might be able to get it from a model store but you'd be paying for a markup anyways since the person ordering it for you would most likely be doing a special order, and would have to pay for shipping. you arent' going to get that for free. if it's a thing where you don't want to order something you won't use, then just get the multiple pack like I mentioned. I'd recomend gettting together with some other guys and pooling on one order. everybody wins. :) 

Randy!

12. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I was just about to post a thread about ball joints. I'm really annoyed by bionicle lego ball joints, they are incredibly loose and worthless for anything over a couple ounces. If you tighten them with superglue, it usually just flakes off the socket after a few weeks because they're glossy, dense plastic and if you make the ball have more friction, it tends to crack the tips of the socket because there's only a millimeter of plastic there; it can't handle the stress.

There's a PERFECT and cheaper way, it's doll armatures or fishtank flexible tubing. These are super durable and are AIRTIGHT. I usually have to sand them down because they're too tight. http://cgi.ebay.com/doll-Armature-20-22-/360308018353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e4080cb1 The huge drawback is that they only have about 30 degrees of motion in all directions, where as Lego has a good 180+ and 30 degrees at its shallowest. So they're good for neck and waist, anything along the spine, but not so much for shoulders and elbows and whatnot.

Anybody ever used acrylic wax? I'm wondering if it is kind of porous so it will grip lego ball joints. Gundam kits use rubberized sockets, these hold tight and I doubt they'd ever loosen up. Thanks for that bricklink, I need some hard to find lego parts to finish a custom.