Customs: Ball joints, screws, moulding...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by llamatron, Feb 25, 2006.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm working on my very first kitbash using a spare Armada Blurr. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on adding in new ball joints - I've had a look around and it seems that people use bionicle joints. Are these a cheap and effective way to do it?

I'm also attempting to mould a new piece, does anyone know of some kind of putty thing that can be moulded and then perhaps heated to 'set' and remain rigid and solid?

I've been trying to take the guy apart so I can clean and then paint him, but some of those screws just will not move. Those things are *tight* - any hints for getting them out other than just pushing and twisting the screwdriver as hard as possible while swearing at the toy?

Thanks guys!

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

use a sodering iron to heat the tighter screws. This will actually soften the plastic around them and they should be able to be moved out.

As for making parts. I use Super Sculpty. Other people however use different material. Not sure what though.

And ball joints, I have no idea.

3. kissmekillme

kissmekillme Well-Known Member

Bionicle ball joints are great when you have a lot of weight to bear. Voyager and up I wouldn't recommend anything less. Xevoz ball joints can't take as much, but they're good for deluxe and basic articulation.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Adding ball joints begins to flirt near "re-casting" a figure. It ain't easy and there are a variety of ways to do it. The most comprehensive one I've seen can be found HERE. It's one of the tutorials from tfmaster.com about adding articulation to an Armada seeker, but the concepts - adding more articulation, particularly ball joints - carry over.

5. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i articulated a Blurr years ago, using a KO BW Dinobot... eventually broke for obvious reasons and i want to remake him some day

Either way, using a real dinobot or any of the repaints, all you need to do is glue the waist onto BlurrĀ“s, then cut the upper legs of dinobot and glue the yellow blurr balljoints onto them

Using epoxy its the best way to hold everything together. The thing with Dinobot legs, is that they fit inside the legs, so you can get sliding legs, he will be at least another inch tall, but thanks to that, the legs wont fully close in car mode (doesnt look that bad though)

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, that soldering iron to tight screws really does the trick. I just touched it to them for about 20 seconds and they came out without a fight, and the plastic didn't warp or deform at all. Thanks for the help so far!