Customs: Ball Joint Tightening 101 (instruction needed!)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Renidragon, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Okay. So I'm almost 100% novice as far as toy modification goes... I'm 1 and 1 currently, one success and one failure... I cut away some plastic on Movie Swindle's neck for that mod, which worked great (though I had expected a bit more of a neck...)... and I tried taking Onesock's advise and using superglue to try and help movie Brawl's shoulders to stay in place... which was an abyssmal failure.

Now. I FINALLY have some access to some clear nail polish (girlfriends rock)... I'm looking for step-by-step, tell-it-to-me-like-I'm-an-idiot instructions on how to make loose ball joints tighter using it. My first victim is probably going to be the ball joints on Cybertron Hot Shot (that is, elbows and hips), so any specific tips on this first endeavor of this sort will be appreciated. :) 

2. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use superglue, but the method is the same for nail polish. Disconnect the ball from the socket, paint a thin layer on the ball, give a while to dry (probably a couple hours or so, to be safe) and stick it all back together.

Nail polish is less "risky" than superglue, but from my experience the results are somewhat temporary.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    please check the stickied resource thread for questions :)  Once you open a thread you can still use the search feature and that'll save you from reading each page.

4. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On how to make one. That doesn't really help.

Reni, just put some superglue or clear nail polish on the balljoints. It'll provide an extra layer of material to thicken them up, and make them tight.

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I use Future Floor wax, available in any grocery store cleaning/maintenance supply aisle. Less fumey than nail polish (it's an acrylic), and awesome to work with. Paint some on both the ball AND the inside of the socket. It's the key part... when you get it on both, it not only creates a tighter joint, but the nature of the material is slightly rubbery, so it will actually "grip" against the mated surface.

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love future Floorwax, it is the best by far for what you want to do. You mentioned You tried to fix your Brawls shoulders? I had the same problem with the Dropkick I am giving a re-deco to, I used the small magnets from gaussboys.com and now his shoulders are nice a tight. Here are some pics If you don't know what I mean.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Rare Earth magnets are the best. I'm currently testing some out as possible connectors for a Classics Combiner.

9. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

It kinda does because you can use a bigger peg to hold the joint on if the smaller peg will not work...been there done that so I know it works

Magnets works too but you can get rare earth magnets cheaper at Michaels

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If you do go by Tony's method, remember to check that the magnets won't repel each other.

11. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny you should mention that, I played with them for a good half hour trying to pry them out after super gluing them at opposites.:banghead: