Customs: Ball Joint question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by butchrecon72, Sep 22, 2012.

1. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

I have a figure I want to replace the head with a different one. The Ball Joint for the head on the piece is a larger ball joint (Generations Wheeljack), but the head I wan tot use is a small ball joint (modified Junkheap head). Before I even start I am looking for advice, I thought maybe using a dremmel and making the piece ball joint smaller, or the hole in the head bigger, or a combo of both. What do you guys do?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I always try to make the hole bigger, rather than sanding a balljoint. While that can also be done, if you aren't VERY careful, you'll end up with a balljoint that is off & won't rotate nicely like before. The best thing to do is use a dremel with a round metal grinding bit to hollow out the hole a bit where the ball will snap into it. Just make sure your dremel speed is on LOW. If you have it set too high, you'll wildly grind away plastic & damage the figure.

Good luck & I hope you get this sorted soon!

3. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice brother! Though it does not look like I have much room with the Junkheap head. But I will give it a shot.

4. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I asked same question to a fellow customizer not too long ago, here is his response I hope this helps.
    Its pretty easy, what you do is fill the head socket with hot glue from a glue gun, put the head on the ball before it cools and then let it cool there. Pop it off, and trim down your "flash" the overflow and your done...really straight forward

Also jin covers this as well in one part of this handy tutorial
    Jin Saotome's guide to hotgluing your action figures